Breeding C. loxozonus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Breeding C. loxozonus

Post by natefrog »

If anyone has successfully bred this species of cory, I would be most interested in finding out what conditions worked. I has a group of six in a 20g breeder and am in the process of conditioning them.

I have bred C. aeneus and C. habrosus previously but hoped this would be a bit more of a challenge. The cat-e-log lists breeding as unreported but I figured someone out there must have had success.

The tank they are in is a mature, well-planted tank with some butterfly goodeid fry as dithers.

I had thought about the soft-water, temp drop technique that is suggested with most cories as a good place to start, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wish me luck!
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

Good luck nate, ive had about 10 for a couple of year's and they dont seem to want to do the wild thing. They do like cleaning the plant's tho :D .

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I just picked up 5 loxozonus this past Thursday. I have them in a well planted 20 gal long and they are very active. I have bred C. axelrodi on a number of occasions which is a similar looking fish also from Columbia. C. axelrodi is not difficult to spawn. I will keep you posted.

Mark
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

Thanks guys!!
Last edited by natefrog on 02 Jan 2007, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

The C. loxozonus do seem very social with all six taking station in the same quadrant of the tank 90% of the time. I think with the right conditioning and some luck I may be able to get them to go.

Mark, some details on your C. axelrodi spawning, in terms of wet/dry season temps, pH, and dissolved solids may lead me in the right direction, if you don't mind. I have some thoughts, but something in the ballpark may help confirm my intuition on this one.
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

I recently bought a group of loxo's as well and am very excited about this one. If they are anything like axelrodi spawning, which i have spawned many times, it should be a breeze.

My axelrodi sit in a 10 gal tank with floating spawning mops and a sponge filter. They spawn regularily without any trigger to get them to spawn. No special care has been taken with the water to promote spawning. They must just be happy with me. :wink:
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

Do the C. axelrodi use the spawning mops? This is something new to me if it is the case.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I have not bred loxonus or axelrodi but there is a lot of variation among the Corydoras as to where they prefer to place their eggs. Many do prefer dense plants or artificial mops to the smooth surfaces out in the open.
I prefer mops because they can be made snail free easier than live plants.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

I also used floating spawning mops for the axelrodi
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

Good information guys. I think I am going to stick with live plants, however. I have this aversion to artificial looking things in my tanks, (filters and heaters excluded). If I don't have luck I give the spawning mops a shot.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I would too if the snails were easier to exclude.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
cartouche
Location 1: Middle Europe

Post by cartouche »

There is really a damn big difference between C. loxozonus and C. axelrodi. I don't understand, how people can mix them together. Loxozonus is clearly more related to melini.

I myself have a group of 10 Loxozonus since January. From time to time, they show signs of courting, but without any practical result so far. I thought that Loxozonus would be an easy fish to spawn, like all species from the Metae group, but this may not be true.

I have found one internet record about a successful breeding of Loxozonus (in German)
http://www.aquaristik.de/artikel/suss14.htm
It was purely accidental, the fish were removed into a tank with warmer water. They spawn like all other species from the Metae group, i.e. few eggs over a long time.
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

C. loxozonus

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. I am aware of a prominent member and contributor of this Forum that has been spawning this specie for the past few months. I believe he is on his 3rd or 4th spawning, the latest of which took place yesterday.

Since I do not know why he has not mentioned his success, I will not identify him until I determine the reason. I can assure you that my information is correct. - Frank
natefrog

Post by natefrog »

I think it is great getting so much response on the topic, but I sense a wee bit of a competitve vibe on some of this "first to spawn" stuff. While I am sure I would get a certain amount of accomplishment from being the first documented breeder of any species, I would feel good having been the 1000th breeder, this is why I asked for advise.

As far as C. melini, I would definatley agree it is a more closley related fish that C. axelrodi, I am looking for whatever information I can gleen about any successful breeding of similar species.
chef
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: stafford england
Interests: corydoras breeding etc

Post by chef »

Hi Natefrog

I have repeatedly spawned Loxozonus and not by chance either, almost to order you could say. I was looking for these fish for a good fifthteen years, before i managed to get hold of a group of four fish(wild caught). They did cost me a pretty penny as they were imported from glasers in germany, but very worth it. you can see pics of my youngsters on http://www.corydorasworld.com which are very unique as they develop a very large dorsal fin in proportion to there bodys till they mature, well worth looking at. As the fish i obtained were full grown adults. I managed to get them to spawn about 8 weeks after i had picked them up. Not the easiest to start off like peppereds, bronze and barbatus, but still not too difficult if you condition them well and pay attention to the water conditions.
Best of luck
Stuart

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”