pl*co fry,,please help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pennykate
Location 1: new england
Interests: pets, crafts

pl*co fry,,please help

Post by pennykate »

Hi all
since last dec, i have been lucky enough to have 3 clutches of BN fry, however i can't seem to keep them alie more that 2 months...there are no other fish in the tank but the mother and father, and i did water changes every single day!!!! i read on planet catfish to make a base of egg white, and flakes etc and let it harden...i found this to be an excellent way to feed as i know exactly where the food is etc, and the adults love it too but no luck with the fry????
any ides
ellie :?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

It sounds like they are slowly starving because the other fish are not leaving enough for the fry to graze on more or less continuously. It usually is ok for the fry to share the tank with the breeders but it is hard for them to compete with most other fish.

The Algae wafers are usually durable enough to last between the main feedings giving the fry a chance to eat after the larger fish are full.

If you want to raise an entire brood remove the cave containing fry about 5 days post hatch. These can be placed in a net breeder to allow them to complete their development in an area of good water circulation.

I release them from the net breeder after they have been feeding for a week into their grow out tank. Just remember to allow enough room to grow them to the desired size.
I usually can raise 50 in a 20L to 1.25 inches to 1.5 inches, then I sell them. These are still crowded so
I make a couple of 75% water changes a week as part of my normal care for them. It keeps the nitrates within reason.
I feed mine earthworm sticks. These contain Spirulina and shrimp meal in addition to the earthworms. I also give them an algae wafer once in a while. I find I can grow them out faster on these foods than on Zucchinni.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
pennykate
Location 1: new england
Interests: pets, crafts

thank you

Post by pennykate »

Larry, i have printed out your message and will try to do as you have state4d...i think the earthworm sticks sound good, i do have a pretty good lfs here and i am sure they can get me some if they don't have it...so discouraging...
thank yo9u sincerely
ellie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”