Rineloricaria sp. (L010A) Red lizard whiptail

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Brengun
My images: 8
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Queensland, Australia

Rineloricaria sp. (L010A) Red lizard whiptail

Post by Brengun »

A couple of weeks ago I bought three Rineloricaria sp. (L010A) or red lizard whiptails.
They seem much more active than my three eigenmanni whiptails, and also seem to display their dorsal fins much more. I haven't quite found what their most favourite food is yet, but they don't seem to mind blanched continental cucumber and blanched fancy lettuce so at least they are eating something.

I seem to have scored a male and female as well. The photo clearly shows the male on the left and female on the right.
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Re: Rineloricaria sp. (L010A) Red lizard whiptail

Post by DutchFry »

nice fish :thumbsup:

i have three as well, a male and two females. they like bloodworms the best (ime)

i'm trying to get them to breed, but no developments yet!
Greetings, Tim
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

As I managed to breed Rhineloricaria last year, perhaps my experiences might be helpfull.

my male is now guarding eggs at precisely the same spot he used last year: under a piece of lagstone, put against the innerwall of the inside filtration. The eggs are put vertically (amazing) and quite high, where the fishes just can squeese beteween rock and eggs

An earlier batch of fry disappeared, my guess was the larger fishes are eithe canibalistic or can't distingwish between a musquito larvae and their own fry. However, remouving all adults from the breedingtank was important - the male remained on his spot for a few days after hatching, not feeding at all, so he will be no danger for the fry. I took him out the day the eggs hatched - and will do so this time again
cats have whiskers
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Nice one Bas Pels! Well done. :thumbsup:

this is a species i always thought i'd get round to keeping but haven't yet :(

Brengun - best of luck with your attempts! :)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
DutchFry

Post by DutchFry »

Hey Bas pels,

i would like to know the temperature they breed on. because some say they like warmth, and others say 22 degrees celsius is just fine, and they are breeding also.
Greetings, Tim
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I would say, the current temp is 22 degrees. However, I think the info is not really usable: the Rihines are from Uruguay, a sub-tropical country, with cold winters.

Last winter the water was cold - 10 or 12 degrees every now and then. Now it is warmer, and, just as last year, and just as expected in the first place, they are breeding.

Yours are from a warmer region, and thus can not be kept at 12 C in the first place.

However, the Rhinelocicaria habitats I saw (in Uruguay) were all very fast moving currents, which were very shallow - 10 cm or so - kind of trout waters, but too shallow. This kins of water typically is not very warm
cats have whiskers
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

L10a seem to be just like Hypancistrus when it comes to their food preferences. I had six and they were only interested in frozen blood worms, live black worms, Tetra Color Granules and earth worm sticks.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DutchFry

Post by DutchFry »

Bas Pels wrote:I would say, the current temp is 22 degrees. However, I think the info is not really usable: the Rihines are from Uruguay, a sub-tropical country, with cold winters.

Last winter the water was cold - 10 or 12 degrees every now and then. Now it is warmer, and, just as last year, and just as expected in the first place, they are breeding.

Yours are from a warmer region, and thus can not be kept at 12 C in the first place.

However, the Rhinelocicaria habitats I saw (in Uruguay) were all very fast moving currents, which were very shallow - 10 cm or so - kind of trout waters, but too shallow. This kins of water typically is not very warm
thanks a lot!

my specimens swim at 22 degrees celsius now, maybe they'll spawn when the temperature is rising in the summer. i'll just have to wait and see :)
Greetings, Tim

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”