Pseudohemiodon Apithanos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Pseudohemiodon Apithanos

Post by Cartman »

I'm looking for information on the "Itaya Chameleon Loricaria", Pseudohemiodon Apithanos. Specifically I'm interested in max size (I've heard about 7"s but would like to verify) and dietary information. I know they're found south of Iquitos alongside of Stingrays and more so Planiloricaria Cryptodon in the Rio Itaya (soft, neutral, warm whitewater) sifting through the sand and leaf litter (along shorelines and inlets w/ less current). But that's about all the information I've got on them. If there's anything you can add for me, espescially about their diet, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Andy
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Excerpt of an email I recieved yesterday from Oliver Lucanus:
They eat worms found in the leaf litter and sandy bottom. They eat well here, mostly live blackworm and other frozen stuff.
And it also says on belowwater's website that they get to around 6" in size.

Andy
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi Cartman,
P. Apithanos likes a tank 6 times its adult length which is 6" with sand substrate and a few plants at the back.Also he sometimes eat wood to suplement its diet.He eat frozen bloodworm and other crusteances and algae.He is active even diuring the day and he is not teritorial towards other bottom dwelers neither to other P. Apithanos and he is fast at finding the food.He is also very expensive here in greece.I hope i helped you a little.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Thanks, yeah they're $pendy here too :shock:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”