breeding different species in the same tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

breeding different species in the same tank

Post by perrush »

Hi,

Let's say I have a large tank (around 1500 L) and I want to keep pleco's.

Would it be possible to put, lets say, 6 L177 (Baryancistrus) and 6 L190 (Panaque) in the tank together and still have a chance of breeding some. Ofcours it would be wise to put only L177 or only L190 in the tank, or not ??

Which pleco's blend well toghter and which not ?? (keeping in mind that I wouldn't mind that they bred) Two different species of Baryancistrus will not be a good idea I guess because there is a chance that they pair togehter :oops:
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

I breed L-183 and L-102 in the same tank without any problem.
L-190 would be the wrong pleco to breed as its almost impossible in such a small environment.
I love L-numbers
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I agree with Chill, they wont breed in these environment.But they are not bad choice only for this.They are also bad choice because theirs agressive themperament may make Baryancistrus sp L177 to feel unconfortable and as a result of this,to not breed.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

Try to breed hypancistrus.. Its possible and they have the tandency to cross breed, this u must avoid :) Its better to have pure strains...
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”