Motorcycle racing: For the first time in 30 years...

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Motorcycle racing: For the first time in 30 years...

Post by MatsP »

... a british rider in the points lead!

http://londonbikers.com/news/11576/supe ... second-win

--
Mats
bigcatsrus
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: England, Uk

Re: Motorcycle racing: For the first time in 30 years...

Post by bigcatsrus »

We watched the qualifying and watched the big boys.

It's good all round for the brits. Jenson Button in the lead on the drivers championship in the F1!
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Yes, whilst I haven't watched the World Super{sports,bikes} yet - it's on the Sky+ box for this evening [and British Superbikes round at Thruxton for tomorrow evening] - before this weekend, there was an English rider, Cal Crutchlow, leading the Supersport (by a fair amount, so , with a Northern Irish rider, Eugene Laverty, in second place.

So there's a few things going well in Motorsport for this country. I think Formula 1 is actually much stronger from a historical perspective than motorcycle racing in Gran Prix class - I don't think anyone has actually won much more than the odd race since Barry Sheene in the 70's/80's.

[And my home-country, Sweden, hasn't succeeded at all in motorcycle racing, if you don't count Stiggy Racing's success as a team].

--
Mats
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I've been watching the 125s on BBC's iPlayer for the last 12 months (when they remember to put the link up- the French GP was on lap 6 when BBC remembered, almost half an hour late! :evil: )- it's great to see not one but two promising British riders coming through, although I'm not that patriotic regarding riders/drivers I support.

At least you had Ronnie Peterson in F1, Mats, who was my first motorsport hero.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I watch Eurosport for the 125/250 cc races. Usually record it on the Sky+ box, so that I can watch it when I get the time.

Actually, I still remember the accident where Ronnie died [at Monza, IIRC] - I watched it live on TV when I lived in Sweden, and I felt so gutted that I couldn't eat dinner when it was time for that. But on the (onroad) motorcycle front, Sweden hasn't had much success. Sweden has had a few good competitors (European/World Champions) in Drag Racing (both cars and bikes), Car Rally and Rallycross, Motocross, Enduro, Ice-racing, Speedway, Motorcycle Trials, but never much success in the road-racing scene. And I think Stefan Johanson was doing reasonable in F1 for a while - nowhere near winning, but still in the premier class.

One problem for all of this, I think, is the availability of top-level race-tracks in Sweden, there aren't many.

Johan Stigefelt that runs the Stiggy Motorsports team in WSB/WSS did race in the MotoGP 250 class (and a season in 500 cc in 2001) for some time, but never got anywhere near the top of the points table - best placed was 17th at the end of the season. Johan was born in Anderstorp, which is also the location of the only race-track in Sweden that has had international, top level Motorcycle and Car-racing.

Leon Haslam is racing for Stiggy Motorsports, and as a team they are doing very well.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”