Madtoms in NE Ohio?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
ahodge84
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Ohio

Madtoms in NE Ohio?

Post by ahodge84 »

Hello folks, I am wondering if anyone has any info regarding madtoms in northeast Ohio. I am trying to find out what species are available and where. Any other info would, of course, be greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance!

Adam
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 111
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Madtoms in NE Ohio?

Post by Birger »

The best madtom info that I have found was put out by the Smithsonian in 1969 http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us:8080/Full ... d=00001779
It is in book form(315 pages) but is still a scientific paper (not always an easy read) that is well worth it for anyone with a keen interest for these fish.

One of the key features are the distribution maps for the different species.

Not the easiest to find but still attainable from places that deal in Natural History Literature, such as http://www.pemberleybooks.co.uk/cgi-bin ... rian_Books
If you do a search at the above it will come up.

Birger
Birger
ahodge84

Post by ahodge84 »

Many thanks! I will look into it.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The Peterson Field Guide by Page et al. might be easier to find and it also has distribution maps. Plus, it's a little more up-to-date.
ahodge84

Post by ahodge84 »

Thank you, I will check out that as well!
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Hi,
You can find out more here too: http://nativefish.org/forum/index.php. Native Fish Conservancy,The NFC Native Fish Forum. Costs one dollar to join, worth much more, maps, experts etc. :thumbsup:

Edit - May 7th - the above website is closing :( Also I should have mentioned that the dollar is actually for the newsletter, not just to join. Sad day but the website below this post is seconded by me too - good info!!
Last edited by L number Banana on 07 May 2009, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

nanfa.org is the BEST native fish website by far, they have a FREE forum and is definately worth looking into.

If you want to purchase some, BTDarters.com I believe is his website, is a great guy I know personally and will easily help you get some. I got some High Colored rainbowdarters from him
What's your favorite Dressing~~
ahodge84

Post by ahodge84 »

Thanks for the further recommendations. I will see what I can do about personally locating them. If I can't get 'em, then I will check out that vendor and some others. Thanks!
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

many people on the NANFA will have same for trade (Free if they are in good spirts) you just pay shipping.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
kwalker
I've donated: $236.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 55 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 16 (i:2, p:392)
Location 1: SPENCER,OHIO USA
Location 2: spencer,ohio united states
Interests: breeding catfish from all parts of the world and getting them into the hobby. favorite catfish is the stonecat madtom,btw ingo how are my fish

Post by kwalker »

have you had any luck with the madtom collection? i have in the past had some success in the neo area. let me know if i can be of any help. ken walker :?:
" CATFISH, THE ONLY REAL AQUARIUM FISH"
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Mad Toms were accidentally introduced to the Columbia River system when in the 1890's the introduced Bullheads, Channel Cats abd Flathead Cats.
They have a tenuous existence but I was able to collect them as a teenager son 45 years ago.
I would search for them in small slow rocky streams or shallow warm sloughs of larger streams. I found them under rocks in streams along with Torrent Sculpins. In sloughs, I found brooding fish inside aluminum cans. If you find them in cans brooding you may be able to raise the fry. I don't know if the male would continue brooding if badly disturbed so I would transfer any eggs or larvae to a net breeder to get them off to a good start. Their eggs and fry are large so they will be able to eat newly hatched brine shrimp immediately. Find them first while weather permits comfortable collecting conditions, then worry about identifying the species. They are extremely interesting aquarium fish if you have a cool temp area to keep them.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “Other Catfishes”