catfish for a beginner

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
sarah
Location 2: Australia

catfish for a beginner

Post by sarah »

Years ago, I lived in a house with a catfish and he was excellent. Heaps of personality, just a fascinating animal.

So now, despite no fish experience, I’ve decided I want a catfish of my own.

My chief requirement is a happy fish with lots of personality. I reckon I should start with something that will be relatively easy to care for (don’t worry, I do understand that all fish require regular attention and care). I don’t have the biggest house so I need a catfish that will be happy in a relativity small tank (I was looking at a 65cmx35cmx30cm tank, but may go a little bigger). I’d prefer a single fish, so it’s important that the cat will be happy on its own. If all cats are schooling animals, just let me know and I’ll get a few.

Basically any advice on what to buy and how to ensure he/she is healthy and happy would be greatly appreciated.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: catfish for a beginner

Post by racoll »

Hi Sarah.

What do you mean exactly by personality?

Are you after a quirky looking fish with interesting behaviour, or a fish that is a bit more interactive than normal?

As much as I love catfishes, they are not the brightest fish in the world. If you want an interactive fish, you might want to think about something like a cichlid, gourami, snakehead, pufferfish, goby or spiny eel. Bear in mind though that many of these are often quite hard fishes to keep for several reasons.

Having said that there are many, many quirky looking catfishes with interesting behaviour. A charming, easy catfish for your tank would be a group of for example. You could combine these with a few tetras or barbs to add a bit more colour.

By the way, not all catfish need to be kept in groups, just some of them. It should say in the cat-elog if this is the case.

:D
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

You might consider a small group of . They are active in the daytime, they beg for food, and they'll eat from your fingers. They're also inexpensive, easy to care for, and don't grow too big.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

:thumbsup: Brilliant idea, Chrysichthys, they're perfect for beginners.
Show personality, establishes a pecking order pretty quick, long CAT-fishy whiskers, enjoys a wider temperature range than many. Cool breeding habits and polka-dot bellies. Finally, they don't go belly up if there's imperfect water conditions. Inexpensive too.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
roo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Surrey
Location 2: Woking, Surrey, England
Interests: Fish! Camping, Travel, Reading and DIY

Post by roo »

Hi Sarah

Welcome to planet catfish. There's lots of good advice from the guys on this site. My setup is now 3 months old and I'm really pleased with it. This is largerly due to the advice from here.

From your post if I were you I'd get some reference books or look at the all the pictures of catfish on this site and find your catfish. There are about 7 different main shapes they come in and from this you'll be able to narrow down the sort you are after. I'd then add to this post a bit more info about the type you want. You'll be in a better position to decide if you want a larger tank to suit the catfish you want or go for something different to suit your tank. I would also say it's kinder to keep 3 or more, i've read that you should never keep 2 and 1 would be lonely.

Hope this helps - good luck in your search.

Ruth
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It is also worth considering that in Australia, many species of fish (not just catfish) are not allowed to be imported, and for example fancy plecos tend to be very expensive, as they are either bred by hobbyists (and since many of the more exotic ones aren't exactly breeding like rabbits, there is more demand than there is supply) or they are smuggled into the country - and smugglers want compensation for the risk of going to prison.

So whilst sitting with a good catfish book and making a wish-list is all well and good, but if the fish you want isn't available (at an affordable price), it becomes a dream and not reality.

So checking what is available in the shops is definitely a good idea.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”