spiralling upside down cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
roo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Surrey
Location 2: Woking, Surrey, England
Interests: Fish! Camping, Travel, Reading and DIY

spiralling upside down cat

Post by roo »

Hi

Please help me i think I'm about to loose one of my upside down's (Synodontis nigriventris). He's got good colour and doesn't look unwell (fins etc) but he's sort of swimming in spirals and he's at the front of the tank (they only come to the front of the tank in late evening, normally hiding in various places at the back of the tank) and sort of sitting on the bottom when he's not swimming in spirals and he's the wrong way up (he's not upside down).

I've sort of webbed for ideas and thought it might be his swim bladder. What's the best thing I should do for him.

Thanks in advance

Ruth
syno-kev
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Location 1: stockport ,cheshire,england
Location 2: cheshire England
Interests: collector of synodontis catfish in 2 large community tanks 100 and 140 gallon in size

Re: spiralling upside down cat

Post by syno-kev »

first thing is to checkout the water conditions ,
ph should be around 6-7 for river synos ,and of course checkout nitrite,ammonia etc
roo

Post by roo »

thanks for advice - got home and he'd passed away. He's buried in the garden. I did a water change to be on the safe side but my nitrites and ammonia are good (as in zero to 0.05) and my tank is pretty under stocked at the moment cause they are all babies. Hopefully I won't loose my other upside down's - although I'm pushing the pH a bit as mine is nearer 8.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

The spiraling can - I'm not saying is - the result of some toxic substance

pH changes can - again, I'm not saying nescessarily are - influence the availability of these toxic substances. Therefore, it would be far too dangerous to change them now.

You better look for a cause, and in the mean time, I'd empty the tank, rehousing the fishes
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

As Bas said, this behavior can be related to toxins. I have also seen fishes do the "whirling devil death dance" in tanks where the pH has completely crashed. The strange thing, to my mind, is that only one fish suffered. There is therefore a distinct possibility that the animal developed a swim bladder infection.

Not sure I would rehouse the fishes at this point, but I would do a large (60-70%) water change and keep a very close eye on them.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
roo

Post by roo »

Hi

I did a 25% water change straight way and will do another tomorrow (i have given a couple of days to settle). Just to let you know that the other four (including 'dodgy fin' - an upside down with a birth defect dorsal fin) are all still okay and flitting happily between their hidding places in the back of the tank. The shrimpies and 'grumpies' (five marbled whiptails) are also fine. The only common thing I have found with both my catfish dieing ( a bristlenose died about three months ago) is that baby platy appear at the same time as a death. Would and large female platy attack other fish when she released her babies. If so she and the other platy will be shipped to a new tank pretty quick!!

thanks

Ruth

Return to “African Catfishes”