where did plecofanatics go?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
MTS
Location 2: Central Coasr Australia

Re: where did plecofanatics go?

Post by MTS »

one person I spoke to has never had a problem logging in and even logged in on another computer and did not use a bookmarks etc.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

MTS wrote:one person I spoke to has never had a problem logging in and even logged in on another computer and did not use a bookmarks etc.
Using bookmarks has got nothing to do with it and neither does which computer you use. I think this might be mistaken - unless the site is being moved from one host to another, that would explain why some parts of the internet would see it before others.

However, it just plain looks down to me.

Jools
jerry58
Location 2: kent

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
I have no clue to this but seen on other sites it may be down to using new or old cookies to enter the site.????

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

jerry58 wrote:Hi
I have no clue to this but seen on other sites it may be down to using new or old cookies to enter the site.????

Jerry
Yes, but as far as I can tell, the site is still unavailable. It may be that if you know the IP address of the original server and connect to it that way, you could still get there. But the DNS (Domain Name Server) certainly leads to advertising similar to a closed shop in a mall saying "Sorry, this shop is closed, new business welcome, and please go visit other stores".

--
Mats
KnaveTO
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: Fresh & Saltwater Aquaria; Genealogy; Online Gaming

Post by KnaveTO »

It is sad to see a site I have supported dissappear. I vagely remember seeing something a month or so back about backing stuff up, and I meant to go back to deal with it. However completely forgot. I am sad to have lost some contacts that were in my PM section, will have to see if I can recreate some of them via PayPal as I bought some stuff off them.

I have to wonder though... what was happening with the subsription money that those of us who supported the site went. :evil:
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

I am also slowly copying over the articles from PF onto my site
http://www.canadapleco.com/articles.php?c=37

Hopefully the site will be back online sometime in the future, but until then at least I'll have a backup of their articles.
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
MTS

Post by MTS »

Jools wrote:
MTS wrote:one person I spoke to has never had a problem logging in and even logged in on another computer and did not use a bookmarks etc.
Using bookmarks has got nothing to do with it and neither does which computer you use. I think this might be mistaken - unless the site is being moved from one host to another, that would explain why some parts of the internet would see it before others.

However, it just plain looks down to me.

Jools
I am not sure how he is doing it but he IS getting in. He has updated one of my posts as I received notification by email. It seems odd that he googled it on another computer and got in.

How are you getting in Canada plec?
Dukerider
Location 1: North of London

Post by Dukerider »

I am not sure how he is doing it but he IS getting in. He has updated one of my posts as I received notification by email. It seems odd that he googled it on another computer and got in.
The reasons he's getting in is due to one of two reasons, the ttl value associated with the dns record(incidentally it was those in the US which were first redirected, followed by the UK and Aus a couple of days later) and the other reason is that some of the users have kept themselves logged in since the problems started.
I have to wonder though... what was happening with the subsription money that those of us who supported the site went.
The subscription service had an issue many months prior to the domain name being redirect and one of the last things the owner did was to turn it off. His last visit was back in February so it's not really an issue.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Well if there are still people who can log in; if they go to a dos prompt and type "ping -a www.plecofanatics.com" it should resolve to an ip address and if someone where to post the ip address then others may be able to access the site and download their articles.
-Trent
bronzefry
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I got an e-mail from one of the PF moderators this morning. Part of it is below:

"Amanda,
I'm sure you've heard by now that Plecofanatics.com has disappeared. The site owner let the domain name expire and it is now held by a squatter company.
I have just started my own website, http://www.plecoworld.org, to try to fill the void left by PF in the hobbyist community. This is a new adventure for me, and I expect that my experience as a Sr. Mod at PF will definitely help me. :) ......"

So, Leslie, one of the moderators is starting up her own website. I just registered over there. I met her at our club's last auction. She's got a nice variety of catfishies and is an overall great person. Without any prompting, she just came over and said,"what needs to be done." We like people like that! :D
Amanda
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

plecoplanet is also another site set-up by a PF Mod as well as pleconation.com which is also by a Senior Mod of PF and is going online shortly...
Well if there are still people who can log in; if they go to a dos prompt and type "ping -a www.plecofanatics.com" it should resolve to an ip address and if someone where to post the ip address then others may be able to access the site and download their articles.
btw, this won't work.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Dukerider wrote:btw, this won't work.
Why not - if the local DNS server has the old IP-address of the plecofanatics site, then it will have the IP address of the server (until the lease on the server runs out). Of course, if the user is currently logged in, and not done a DNS lookup for a long time, then it may not work.

And of course, it doesn't work if you are behind some sort of firewall that is used to protect against ping's and such. But if you know the IP address of a machine that is somewhere on the internet, it will work to access it via the IP address directly, even if the DNS has moved it elsewhere.

--
Mats
Dukerider

Post by Dukerider »

ping -a is a reverse lookup so should be used for addresses to hostnames, so the switch isn't required.

The average TTL of a DNS record on the web is approx 24hrs which makes us about 6 days too late roughly.
But if you know the IP address of a machine that is somewhere on the internet, it will work to access it via the IP address directly,
Yes this would work if the website has a dedicated server. If it's shared hosting this won't work.

All this only works though if you have the original IP of the server, which apparently no-one has or knows of anyone who's still logged in to get the details.
If you did have the original IP though, then the easiest solution would be to just add it to your host file.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

It should give you an ip one way or another. Just pinging should also work as said "ping plecofanatics.com" you could also try "tracert plecofanatics.com". What was the result of the ping. It should say something like "Pinging plecofanatics.com [69.64.147.212] with 32 bytes of data" the number in brackets is what we need. Hopefully you don't get the same number I posted cause that's the new one that doesn't work.
-Trent
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

I am not getting onto PF, I am using google cache, and its a royal pain in the butt to get these articles, but I figured it would be worth it. Beats them being gone forever.
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
scatz
My images: 13
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 2: rainy old England

Post by scatz »

CanadaPleco wrote:I am not getting onto PF, I am using google cache, and its a royal pain in the butt to get these articles, but I figured it would be worth it. Beats them being gone forever.
do you have the permission from all of the authors of the articles to put them on your forum?
zcliff
Location 1: Trenton, Mi
Interests: WOODWORKING , AQUARIUMS

Post by zcliff »

Yes I have been talking to Leslie since PF went down, and since I am a big seller on the site I was shocked that they would drop the ball or allow the domain to fail. I have been unable to find the new site plecoworld.org. I was told that this forum had a link, I think your all great to help out another group of pleco addicts. I thank you for having this discussion and allowing it to continue. Planetcatfish is a very special forum and I for one give you a big thanks.
Zcliff aka Larry
CUSTOM AQUARIUM STANDS AND CANOPIES
INTERNATIONAL SELLER OF SLATE CAVES
scottie73
Location 2: england

Post by scottie73 »

he certainly hasn't got my permission for my article!!!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It's maybe a silly question, but why don't all you refugees hang out here?

Jools
zcliff
Location 1: Trenton, Mi
Interests: WOODWORKING , AQUARIUMS

Post by zcliff »

OK, happy to put the drgold article on Planet, just need to be sent it from the man himself
Hey Jools,
DrGold is my Buddy and will shoot him the request.
Larry
Zcliff aka Larry
CUSTOM AQUARIUM STANDS AND CANOPIES
INTERNATIONAL SELLER OF SLATE CAVES
chrisdef15
Location 2: Australia

Post by chrisdef15 »

It's maybe a silly question, but why don't all you refugees hang out here?

Jools"

While its only my personal opinion one of the biggest let downs on this site is the buy/sell section. It would be alot better setup like PF with different sections for different countries. I realise you have tried getting people to list where they are and that you dont get as much traffic in the for sale section as PF but its def something to consider if you wanna get more interest from people outside the US and UK.
The knowlege side of this site is great and i dont think any other site comes close to matching it so no worries there, but atleast from an Aussie point of view the Buy/sell section on PF was its biggest drawcard.
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

Hey Zcliff maybe try this link? :mrgreen:

http://www.plecoworld.org/
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
psionic001
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: Sydney, Australia

Post by psionic001 »

jbmm
I've donated: $30.00!
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Tilburg, Netherlands

Post by jbmm »

ehr...
what was the topic anyway ....?
ppanther
Location 2: Sydney, Australia

Post by ppanther »

I have just paid the domains renewal on behalf of the owner (who is uncontactable) so the site should be back up and running within the next 48 hours. Don't forget to flush your dns (ipconfig /flushdns) and restart your browsers!
MTS

Post by MTS »

That was looked into in the past and the advice was that only the owner could renew it. If you have managed to do it you are a legend and it will be greatly appreciated by a lot of members. :thumbsup:
ppanther
Location 2: Sydney, Australia

Post by ppanther »

They are just giving him a chance to respond:
Hello,
In this case our actions will be:
1) Please confirm that you have account with us and provided the funds in order to renew the domain.
2) We will inform the owner about renewal and proceed after letting him know.
The moneys in the account, they are just giving him 24 hours to respond.

In the meantime you can access it manually by modifying your hosts file - would be nice to have some company as I seem to be the only one on there :S
Add the following two lines to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

65.38.173.164 plecofanatics.com
65.38.173.164 http://www.plecofanatics.com

You may have to flush your dns first and reopen your browser (in cmd type "ipconfig /flushdns")
MTS

Post by MTS »

Im in, woo hoo, thanks again panther
KnaveTO
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: Fresh & Saltwater Aquaria; Genealogy; Online Gaming

Post by KnaveTO »

As a member of CanadaPleco I would just like to point out that at the time the owner of CP was just trying to do all a service and save as much information from the sinking ship. So please do not jump down his throat. The authors were all given credit in the articles with their name, and website of origin.

As to Jools's offer of hosting PlecoFanatics redux, I am all for it. Sorry but after the domain name fiasco I highly doubt I will return.
smithrc
My images: 5
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Milton Keynes - UK

Post by smithrc »

KnaveTO wrote:The authors were all given credit in the articles with their name, and website of origin.
No they weren't....

Please remove the DIY moonlight thread.

Its up and safe over on plecoplanet.com

Thanks.
Our Plecs...
L014 - L024 - L046 - L075 - L088 - L106 - L114 - L142 - L183 - L400 - LDA25 - GSD

Return to “Speak Easy”