What kind of Hypancistrus? L173 fry update

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Unungy
My images: 22
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: USA - CA
Location 2: Sunland, CA 91040
Interests: Collecting rare fish.

What kind of Hypancistrus? L173 fry update

Post by Unungy »

Please Id..

I really don't know....
Attachments
DSC07906.jpg
DSC07903.jpg
DSC07946.jpg
Last edited by Unungy on 09 Dec 2011, 08:34, edited 4 times in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saul - Owner
Unungy's Rare Imports - Wholesale Distribution

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnungysRareImports?pnref=lhc
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HenkeP
My cats species list: 16 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:23)
Location 1: Mellerud
Location 2: Mellerud, Sweden

Re: what find plecostomus?

Post by HenkeP »

I´d say L98... But I´m no expert.. You should wait for some more answers.

EDIT: Changed my mind.. Maybe it´s a L173?
Unungy

Re: What kind of plecostomus?

Post by Unungy »

Thank you..

A very nice pleco in Deed.
Saul - Owner

sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: What kind of plecostomus?

Post by sidguppy »

forget numbers; it's not a Plecostomus, but a Hypancistrus.

the species that's another story.
Valar Morghulis
Unungy

Re: What kind of Hypancistrus?

Post by Unungy »

Thank you for the correction... I have changed it already.
Saul - Owner

Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

They look a lot like to me.
The L98 appears to be a synonym for L46 .
If I am correct, these are very rare in Stateside collections and I don't know of anyone who is breeding L173 in the States.
I'll take a couple dozen since they are small. :lol: :lol:
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Fantasticfins
I've donated: $80.00!
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Livonia,Mi
Interests: Spawning Hypancistrus

Post by Fantasticfins »

The last fish is Hypancistrus sp. "Lower Rio Xingu"

The other fish are L-400 which fool people to be L-173
Unungy

Post by Unungy »

Thank you.. for sharing some pictures with us it is much appreciated but I totally disagree with the ID of bottom fish, I know how hard it is to tell from one to another but I will let people be the judge of it according to the pictures.

The two pictures on the top are in deed L400 adults.... that will be for sale soon but the bottom one it is an adult L173 I was only able to find a few after months of search.
Most of the time when fish like this arrive in the country people always come to the same conclusion...lets wait for a few months until it is mature so will see the body shape, patterns, color, size etc well! this fish is an adult that is here for us to learn more about. We don't have to wait till he grows.. as he is in his full length already.

There is no much information on this fish and I strongly believe one of the main caracteristics of it is the thicker while patters on his body. It is very clear that in the picture of your fish the black is more predominat then the while along his entile body I have included some main differences that I found.

My findings.

1. Thicker white colors
2. Top fin is pointing
3. Tail has prolongations and also the while pattern goes through out the whole fish's body.
4. The stomach is also white and goes alone to the side of the fish as marked on the picture.

Please share some more opinions. If I COULD only make my pictures bigger for bettern appreciation of my pictures

Thank you all
Attachments
P1030907.JPG
DSC07938.jpg
Body.jpg
Last edited by Unungy on 04 Dec 2009, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Saul - Owner

Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by Jon »

I agree that the fish you appear to be holding is 173, but the others don't look much like it to me.
Fantasticfins

Post by Fantasticfins »

Shape of caudal fin is consistent with Hypancistrus sp. "Lower Rio Xingu" as is yellow tint to pectoral fin tips. Size of first ray on pectoral fins is also much larger on H. sp. "Lower Rio Xingu".

What do you think of this fish? Do you think it's the same as yours? Hard to see caudal fin clearly, but you can see the thicker white colors, the dorsal fin is much higher (the pointing on your fish's dorsal fin is from injury), white goes through the whole fish's body, and it has a white stomach.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Fishes from garupa and porto de moz are so variable it's difficult to classify them so definitively.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

This is an endless game of pinning the number on the Hypancistrus but just comparing the 1st two photos in the initial post to the photos in the Cat=elog entries, they look much more like L173 than Hypancistrus sp Lower Xingu to me.
The 3rd photo is a much more mature fish, maybe it is and maybe it isn't L173 but it seems to look like the entries for L173, too.

Much seems to me to depend on whether one is a knowledgeable buyer or seller and someone is trying to game the other for an advantage. What about the German guy on aquabid who has essentially identical fish at zebra prices? Think he has L173 or something else?
I don't have any of these nor can afford to buy any if they were for sale so I'm just sayin', there are some reliable sources who think they are L173 and reliable sources who don't.
Fantasticfins

Post by Fantasticfins »

apistomaster wrote:This is an endless game of pinning the number on the Hypancistrus but just comparing the 1st two photos in the initial post to the photos in the Cat=elog entries, they look much more like L173 than Hypancistrus sp Lower Xingu to me.
The 3rd photo is a much more mature fish, maybe it is and maybe it isn't L173 but it seems to look like the entries for L173, too.

Much seems to me to depend on whether one is a knowledgeable buyer or seller and someone is trying to game the other for an advantage. What about the German guy on aquabid who has essentially identical fish at zebra prices? Think he has L173 or something else?
I don't have any of these nor can afford to buy any if they were for sale so I'm just sayin', there are some reliable sources who think they are L173 and reliable sources who don't.
Everything said here, besides your whining and quest for drama, is intelligent conversation amongst people with experience with these fish. Please don't derail threads or interrupt such conversation. I have respect for Saul and have spoken to him in such a manner. I am not a fan of folks giving advice and or opinions on fish they have absolutely no experience with, nor do I appreciate being accused of "gaming the other for an advantage". People like you (inexperienced mega-posters who give advice on fish they have not seen nor worked with) are the reason people like me (LFS owner who's handled 1000's of Hypancistrus and works with hundreds of them at home) would rather not give real advice based on experience.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I don't recall accusing you of anything.
Sellers want to have rare fish worth much more than many buyers want to pay and would be buyers will attempt to cast doubts to use as leverage. This is only natural. I don't know anything about any interactions between you and Unungy that may have transpired. That is none of my business.
Many Hypancistrus are difficult to identify with 100% accuracy and lend themselves well to debates as to whether a given specimen is the expensive one or the cheaper one.
I do know a bit and I have plenty of experience, especially this year after the economic crash, with people making me ridiculously low offers for the fish I sell and those who who are realistic. I set my prices and do not negotiate unless the number of fish involved in a transaction is large and for resale by others.

I am sure you have the experience you claim. I had the largest tropical fish shop in the state of Idaho by the time I was 17 years old in 1969 and it was open for 6 years. I began breeding wild Discus in that same year. I have sold a lot of fish in the decades since and bred more than a few. No one has any monopoly on experience in the fish business. I can't help it that I began very early and have remained involved in the hobby since as hobbyists, retailer and wholesaler.
I have the time and interest to participate on these different discussions that some do not because I don't have to go to work.
Too bad if my free time activities annoys you.
Fantasticfins

Post by Fantasticfins »

More whining and further derailing of this thread. This thread is about the identity of a fish. Not what you care to whine about. I'm sure you'll further whine after you read this and completely destroy a thread of intelligent information sharing. Which will prove you are truly a moron.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Fantasticfins wrote:More whining and further derailing of this thread. This thread is about the identity of a fish. Not what you care to whine about. I'm sure you'll further whine after you read this and completely destroy a thread of intelligent information sharing. Which will prove you are truly a moron.
One should express their personal problems with an individual by way of using the PM system.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whilst I think you both have contributed to "derail" the discussion with the last few posts, I think the real judge of any derailing etc, would be the original poster.

Maybe you both should either use the PM function, or start another thread.

--
Mats
Jon

Post by Jon »

"The two pictures on the top are in deed L400 adults.... that will be for sale soon but the bottom one it is an adult L173 I was only able to find a few after months of search."

I see you already addressed my concerns. Should've read more carefully--sorry.

Anyways, yes, 173 it is, then.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Some details that not many people know is: Hypancistrus sp "lower xingu" i not one species, from these all collected at the same localities is L173, L399-L400, H. sp "lower xingu" (the rest that not looks like the other) is sorted and shipped as separate L-number, not today but before when it was still illegal but no control. All of them from Belo Monte, from Porto de Moz where some of the L333 is collected are no other Hypancistrus species collected even if it's not impossible to find other species but only L333 was collected near Porto de Moz.
And I will not even mention how many thousands I have seen ;)

Janne
Fantasticfins

Post by Fantasticfins »

As this fish is freshly caught from the wild, it's still bright white and dark black. Time will tell what it is. If it's what I believe it to be, it will fade to dark grey over light grey/almost white. It will keep a white belly, but the tail shape (when it heals) will be different from L-173. Sharing of pics of these fish in 6 months will be helpful, especially after the fins heal.
Unungy

Re: What kind of Hypancistrus? L173

Post by Unungy »

This colony went to a good breeder in the USA in Dec 2009. He has been able to breed them successfully.
The father never lost his radiant coloration but remain black and white as the original picture.

The offspring remain with the same amazing pattern.
I have attached some pictures of these beautiful L173 fry.

Please feel free to comment....they are still growing.
Attachments
DSC02764.jpg
DSC02762.jpg
DSC02761.jpg
Last edited by Unungy on 09 Dec 2011, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Saul - Owner

Unungy

Post by Unungy »

More pictures
Attachments
DSC02806.jpg
DSC02798.jpg
DSC02800.jpg
Saul - Owner

Unungy

Post by Unungy »

More pictures
Attachments
DSC02809.jpg
DSC02813.jpg
DSC02808.jpg
Saul - Owner

Unungy

Post by Unungy »

More pictures
Attachments
DSC02831.jpg
DSC02846.jpg
DSC02827.jpg
Saul - Owner

Unungy

Post by Unungy »

More pictures
I was able to attached different size pictures of their fry ranging from 1.5 - 2.5 inches to see how they continue to change as they grow older.

Enjoy them.
Attachments
DSC02879.jpg
DSC02878.jpg
DSC02877.jpg
Saul - Owner

johannes
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Punggol

Re: What kind of Hypancistrus? L173 fry update

Post by johannes »

Looks like a clear cut L400 to me...
unless they were a product of hybridization.. :ymblushing:
Lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
Unungy

Post by Unungy »

Parents were ID as L173, did you care to read about their parents on the front page?
did you see their picture?

Very knowledgeable people have agreed on their parents on 2009.
Lets don't forget that they are only 1.5 - 2.5 inches. I will post pictures of them as they grow older.

At least you didn't say that they look like L66 fry lol lol lol
Saul - Owner

jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

I agree. To me they look like beautiful L400.

I have the real L173 here and they absolutely don't look anything like yours I'm afraid.
Here's a video of my L173 youngsters:
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
Unungy

Post by Unungy »

Great Video but I see L46 wavy youngsters, L173 is not an L46 nor does look like one.

Would you post pictures of their parents? are they L46 wavy?
Saul - Owner

Return to “What is my catfish?”