What Ancistrus is this guy??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
bigcatsrus
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: England, Uk

What Ancistrus is this guy??

Post by bigcatsrus »

Afternoon all,

Wondering if you guys and gals might be able to identify what one I have.

I have 3 possibilities in mind but not knowing much about how to tell differences apart I thought I'd come here.

This is what I have in mind;
Super red vairent?

Leaning towards this one.

Here are some pictures. He is about 1.5".

[Mod edit: Change links to CLOG tagged species name, particularly as the L144 link wasn't working --Mats]
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: What Ancistrus is this guy??

Post by Silurus »

I think it's the last one ().
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

I thought it might be the L144 but as I stated in my first post, they all look similar.

Thanks for that Silurus :)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Right, whilst I agree that the fish pictured is 99% sure to be what is in the Cat-eLog as L144, it is not actually a TRUE L144 [by "true", I mean descendants of the fish actually imported several years ago from Paraguay] - the true L144 is extremely rare, and not at all as "pretty" as this fish - it has a more brown and almost blotchy colouration [but not like the piebald variety of the common bristlenose].

There is a third variety as well, which is related to the common - this fish is different from the one pictured here in that it grows larger, and has spots.

--
Mats
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

So what your saying is that it is a ancistrus of some kind but not a true L144 and not the other vairent that you mention.

Even though it looks like the picture of the L144??

I'm now confuzzled?!?!
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

What Mats is saying is that yes your fish is the L144 in cat-e-log BUT the fish in cat-e-log isn't actually L144, it is an unidentified similar species. There is a fish which actually is L144 not in cat-e-log which is rare & not seen.

(hope this ies right Mats)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

Ok that explains a bit but if it's an unidentified specie, then why does it have the label of L144?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Right, so as I tried to explain, there are three different fish sold as L144:
1. the TRUE L144, which is very rare and quite ugly.
2. The fish that we have in the Cat-eLog, which is often sold as, and (incorrectly) called L144 in a vast number of places on the web and in books. We should "fix" this by calling it something else, but at least until we have a "true" L144 picture, I'm not sure it's much point in renaming the current species.
3. The "common" Ancistrus with black eyes and no body colour.

I think part of the reason for confusion is that the mere thought that there may be 3 different species that look like that is pretty unlikely, so if the picture is "roughly right", then it's probably a correct ID.

--
Mats
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

About A. formoso... It is a cave species and has extremely degenerate eyes (if it can be said to have eyes at all). The three cave-dwelling species of Ancistrus have never been in the aquarium trade.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

MatsP wrote:1. the TRUE L144, which is very rare and quite ugly.
2. The fish that we have in the Cat-eLog, which is often sold as, and (incorrectly) called L144 in a vast number of places on the web and in books. We should "fix" this by calling it something else, but at least until we have a "true" L144 picture, I'm not sure it's much point in renaming the current species.
3. The "common" Ancistrus with black eyes and no body colour.
The yellow bristlenose bigcatsrus has (i.e. fake "L144"), is , as is I believe, is the other variety with less of a yellow body colour.

:D
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:The yellow bristlenose bigcatsrus has (i.e. fake "L144"), is , as is I believe, is the other variety with less of a yellow body colour.

To the best of my understanding, the form resembling L144 that is related to A. cf. cirrhosus has spots on the body, just like the albino form. Also, I have seen the "unspotted" L144 (Mark Walters'(aka CoryWally) ones), and they are noticeably smaller (fully grown at around 3") and have a slightly different body shape (not quite as wide, more elongate, a bit like a Pterygoplichthys pardalis or so). I don't believe the fish pictured in this thread is the A. cf. cirrhosus variety, but the smaller, unspotted ones. They are also very brightly yellow.

Edit: At 1.5", I'd expect a A. cf. cirrhosus to have a lot less bristles. This fish looks like it's fully developed with regards to face bristles.

--
Mats
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

There are several strains of "L144" (the fake one). They differ slightly with respect to bristles (branched or not) and body colour (slight spotting or completely uniform). All of them are bred color variants. Afaik it is not entirely clear which species (and if one or several) were used. They can all interbreed, however, and can also breed with the common bristlenose.
Cheers,
Tina
racoll

Post by racoll »

I'd be very surprised if they all weren't selectively bred varieties of A. cf. cirrhosus.

I DNA sequenced an "L144", and it was identical to the common bristlenose!

Suckermouth

Post by Suckermouth »

racoll wrote:I'd be very surprised if they all weren't selectively bred varieties of A. cf. cirrhosus.

I DNA sequenced an "L144", and it was identical to the common bristlenose!

Was it a spotted or non-spotted (like original post's pic?). These non-spotted guys look a little different than common bn's, but maybe it's my eyes fooling me.
- Milton Tan
racoll

Post by racoll »

Suckermouth wrote:Was it a spotted or non-spotted (like original post's pic?)
L144.jpg
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

That's interesting... I've just received a picture of the "true" L144.

--
Mats
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

Guys would it help if I told you that I brought this guy when he was juvie and he was in with a load of albino bn's and labelled as such at the lfs.

I brought 3 plecs from this tank but noticed as they started to grow up that this guy had black eyes and the other 2 had red eyes. Unfortunately I lost the 2 albino ones but this guy who I've still got was always more active then the other 2, even when they were tiny.

Just thought I'd add more history to see if that would make any more sense.

by they by he only cost me 2.95.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I don't think that really helps - it probably wasn't born together with the other albinos, and just got in there by accident (or was a remnant of another batch, for example).

Nice fish, either way.

--
Mats
Suckermouth

Post by Suckermouth »

racoll wrote:
Suckermouth wrote:Was it a spotted or non-spotted (like original post's pic?)
L144.jpg
Sweet. Hey anyone, do the spotted albino Ancistrus get this yellow in coloration? If so, my guess is these kinds of fish have an additional mutation, something to do with leukocyte development. If leukocyte development is controlled and inherited independently from melanophore development, this would imply is that you should be able to get a brown, unspotted fish as well. Interesting...
- Milton Tan
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

MatsP wrote:I don't think that really helps - it probably wasn't born together with the other albinos, and just got in there by accident (or was a remnant of another batch, for example).

Nice fish, either way.

--
Mats
Just thought I'd juat say just in case it did.

Thanks I thought so too.

Would you be able to put the picture you recived of the true L144? Be interesting to see.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Yes, my plan is to put the pictures up, and rename the L144 we have right now.

Not quite sure what to call the L144 as we have it now.

Edit: added new species entry:

Edit2: (also fixing link above)
Your fish is now

--
Mats
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

Thanks for that MatsP.

Now know (kinda, lol) what my little fella is. Hope there is no more confussion about this fish :thumbsup:
pinkertd
Location 2: Belvidere, NJ USA

Post by pinkertd »

I breed the long fin L144 (what has commonly been accepted as such), the small yellow non-spotted variety. I can find documents and pictures from Europe back to 2002 of this exact L144 fish being bred. Can someone point me to the documented information on the true, rare L144 and it's pictures with dates? As far as I have found, throughout the world there is proof of only one L144 (yellow without spots) being bred or have been bred in the last decade, descended from the original male imported from Paraguay. If this is not what we consider to be the "true" L144, I'd like to read everything I can on the "true" one. Does anyone know what year this male was imported from Paraguay? Thanks!
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

If we simply interpolate the DATZ publication of the fishes, it's somewhere around mid 1993 - L122 was published in DATZ 4/1993, L162 is published 5/1994. L144 is somewhere between those numbers, so perhaps 8/1993 or thereabouts. Obviously the magazine being printed doesn't tell us exactly when the fish arrived in Germany, but somewhere in the 1992-1993 time-period, I'd expect.

I'm sure someone who has the DATZ compilation book itself can tell exactly what issue it was published in - it still won't tell us when the fish arrived, but it gives us a better "no later than" date.

--
Mats
pinkertd

Post by pinkertd »

Mat do you know if there is a full description of this fish in the Datz book? Does he include any pictures?
And can someone provide that for me to read?

I know this argument has been ongoing for a very long time. There is proof of the L144 that we commonly call the L144 today. I am very interested in learning what Datz wrote about the fish and why all the confusion and disagreement ensues.

Here where it describes the Datz scientific classification/numbering system based on photographs we see the L144 as an ancistrus species, which is correct, and common name Black Eyed Yellow Bristlenose. Did Datz not provide that information?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-number
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I don't have the DATZ book, but I doubt there is much detail in the description of the L144. It is a picture [or multiple pictures] and some words on it's origin and such things. We do have a picture of the true fish, as well as what I named sp(4) - which I believe is what EVERYONE is calling L144 these days.

The DATZ publication you are looking for is "Datz-Sonderheft Harnischwelse" - I don't know if you want "Datz-Sonderheft Harnischwelse 2" or some other number...

As racoll posted, he's done DNA analysis and com conclusion that the sp(4) is close to the common brown Ancistrus. This is unlikely to have come from Paraguay, as Paraguay (as far as I know) has never been a common export location for tropical ornamental fish.

--
Mats
pinkertd

Post by pinkertd »

Where did the photo of the "true" fish come from? And the date of that photo?
Has there been DNA analysis done on other ancistrus species to see if they are also close to the common brown ancistrus? If what is today commonly called the L144 not what Datz wrote about, why does his description say Black Eyed Yellow? And if our black eyed yellow ancistrus are not true L144, is there documentation on how and when this color variant was achieved and by whom? To come up with a yellow ancistrus seems like it would be a major accomplishment. There are very few yellow tropical fish when compared to other tropical fish colors.

What I find with the plecos I have is that they are the slowest growing and slowest to mature when compared to common brown and those related to common brown. They are much smaller. As fry they are more fragile. The spawns are smaller and less frequent than other BN related to the common brown. Would not a mere color variant of common brown share the exact same traits?

And I am not arguing, that is not my nature. I am just extremely inquisitive and can find absolutely nothing on the origin of what we now commonly call L144 and also on what Datz identified as L144.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I don't have a date - it was SCANNED from a "film" photo in July 2007 from what I can tell. I got the image from Ingo Seidel - and there are only a few people in the world that knows Loricariidae as well as Ingo, and very few, if any, that could really claim to know more.

I will ask Ingo about when the photo was actually taken - I can't guarantee an answer, and I'm almost certain that it will take a few days before we get an answer... ;)

I don't know what other research racoll has done - I suspect he has tested a few other Ancsitrus types.

As to where the "fake L144" comes from, I would suspect Czech breeding of common Ancistrus - they have virtual fish-factories that breed common ancistrus on industrial basis. There are other examples of amelanistic fish, and there are certainly snakes and other creatures (rabbits, cats, guinea pigs) that lack colouration in skin/hair etc, but have "normal" eye-colouration. Another possibility is of course that there was a "true L144" in the lineage of the "fake L144".

--
Mats
pinkertd

Post by pinkertd »

Thanks Mat for you patient answers. Still, it is only a guess where the "fake" L144 came from, there is nothing to say anything about it one way or another.

If anyone has the Datz description on the L144 verbatum from his book, I would very much appreciate knowing what is printed.

And the answer to who was the one to give the L144 in Datz the common name of Black Eyed Yellow?

I think by now renaming what has been labeled and globally recognized as an L144 for at least a decade and giving the L144 label to one fish that no one has owned or really ever seen except perhaps Datz himself, is just going to add a whole new volume of confusion to what already exists. Especially because of all the information that already exists on the intranet regarding what we have been accepting as an L144 that cannot be changed or altered and will stay the same.
Suckermouth

Post by Suckermouth »

DATZ is not a person, it's an organization that publishes a magazine. It stands for something in German.
The wikipedia entry is straight copy-pasted from PlanetCatfish, and not recently.
pinkertd wrote:Has there been DNA analysis done on other ancistrus species to see if they are also close to the common brown ancistrus? If what is today commonly called the L144 not what Datz wrote about, why does his description say Black Eyed Yellow? And if our black eyed yellow ancistrus are not true L144, is there documentation on how and when this color variant was achieved and by whom? To come up with a yellow ancistrus seems like it would be a major accomplishment. There are very few yellow tropical fish when compared to other tropical fish colors.
Genetic research in Ancistrus AFAIK has so far shown differences between even closely related species. What racoll used was a single mitochondrial gene (shorthand "mtDNA"). He probably used either cyt B or COI genes; these are commonly used genes in fish science for distingushing species. An identical mtDNA sequence would not be unheard of among different species of fishes, but I don't know any instances of this within Loricariidae. However, these genetic analyses I've mentioned are not done with comparisons to A. cf. cirrhosus, and the number of sampled species is small compared to the diversity of the genus. Since racoll is probably the only person who has sequenced A. cf. cirrhosus and this data is not freely available, then there's no way for anyone but him to compare to other species. Given that this is just a side project of his, comparisons to other species are not likely to happen soon. This is complicated by the great diversity in Ancistrus, the large geographical range the genus occupies, and the use of alternative genes that could be used which make comparisons impossible (ie. D-loop). Advances should be made within the next few years with authors completing work in Venezuelan and Guyanese species, as well as beginning work in Peru and Colombia. Work in Brazilian species will continue as it always has, although I wouldn't expect to see any genetic work out of them soon. In any case, I have my doubts that we'll find a species that has an mtDNA sequence that is very closely related to A. cf. cirrhosus/A. sp. 4 for quite some time.

As far as documentation to the origin of A. sp. 4, that would be fascinating and give us a confirmation of its origins. But I think the confusion is because we haven't found anything like that yet.
pinkertd wrote:What I find with the plecos I have is that they are the slowest growing and slowest to mature when compared to common brown and those related to common brown. They are much smaller. As fry they are more fragile. The spawns are smaller and less frequent than other BN related to the common brown. Would not a mere color variant of common brown share the exact same traits?
This is hard to tell. It's possible that the mutation that causes this specific color pattern also has other affects in the fish's ability to grow.
pinkertd wrote:I am just extremely inquisitive and can find absolutely nothing on the origin of what we now commonly call L144 and also on what Datz identified as L144.
As am I.
pinkertd wrote:I think by now renaming what has been labeled and globally recognized as an L144 for at least a decade and giving the L144 label to one fish that no one has owned or really ever seen except perhaps Datz himself, is just going to add a whole new volume of confusion to what already exists. Especially because of all the information that already exists on the intranet regarding what we have been accepting as an L144 that cannot be changed or altered and will stay the same.
Although this might be a different case, the ingrained confusion of L201, H. inspector, and H. contradens is EXTREMELY frustrating, even despite the fact there is little confusion on Planetcatfish that H. inspector is completely different from the other two species.
- Milton Tan

Return to “What is my catfish?”