What Royal is this??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
bigcatsrus
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: England, Uk

What Royal is this??

Post by bigcatsrus »

Hi guys,

On another forum someone posted their pics of their royal. I did ask him what one this is but has no idea. I asked if it was ok to post here to find out what varity it is. I haven't seen one with these colours. Was told that (she) is 34cm. The pics make it look almost black and white but the video what appears to be white lines look like that have a slight green ish colour.

Here is a video of these plec

Thanks in advance

Charlene
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: What Royal is this??

Post by MatsP »

I always get in trouble when identifying these, but my feeling is that this is the "real" (aka L190) from Rio Orinoco drainage, rather than the L027{a, b, c} variants from Brazil. The Brazil species looks to have a longer/more streamlined nose if nothing else.

I'm also of the opinion that these fish are one species that is widespread throughout the Northern parts of South America - so throughout the entire Amazon basin and the Guyana shield areas. Like many widespread species, they vary depending on location.

And I would agree that it's a "she" - the cheek odontodes would be much more visible if it was a male.

--
Mats
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

Thank you Mat!!

I knew if I came here someone would know.

I now know what my bf's one will look like when it gets bigger.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

bigcatsrus wrote:Thank you Mat!!

I knew if I came here someone would know.

I now know what my bf's one will look like when it gets bigger.
You are of course assuming here that I'm right... ;)

--
Mats
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

I am yes until someone else has another opinion :)
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

MatsP wrote:I always get in trouble when identifying these, but my feeling is that this is the "real" (aka L190) from Rio Orinoco drainage, rather than the L027{a, b, c} variants from Brazil. The Brazil species looks to have a longer/more streamlined nose if nothing else.
I disagree Mats, I think this fish is L027 Xingu. The Xingu's have the much higher angled 'block' head, the longer more slender heads are seen in the Tocantins and so called 'Thunder Panaque'. The Cat-elog lacks adult but look at picture 4 and here on L-Welse http://www.l-welse.com/reviewpost/showp ... product/37 for adults.
MatsP wrote:I'm also of the opinion that these fish are one species that is widespread throughout the Northern parts of South America - so throughout the entire Amazon basin and the Guyana shield areas. Like many widespread species, they vary depending on location.

And I would agree that it's a "she" - the cheek odontodes would be much more visible if it was a male.
I'm also starting to think this as well, the only differences I've seen are slightly different body shapes, potential size and mouth structure (as well as colour variations). But I don't know whether this could amount to separate species. On the cheek odontodes, I read in Ingo Seidel's book that females have been found to develop them also, but I don't know whether males can also, not develop them.

Anyway, Its a beautiful fish, my absolute favourite plec, I have 6 but none more than 6" yet.
Matthew
bigcatsrus

Post by bigcatsrus »

So we agree that this is a royal of some sort :)

It is a very nice plec that this person has.

My bfs one is so slow at growing can't wait till it gets big.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I told you it's not easy to tell these apart, and I get it wrong more often than not - I don't feel bad about it, and as the saying goes, "You have to start somewhere" - if everyone says nothing because they are unsure, there will be nothing said.

It sure is a pretty fish, and it sure is a Royal.

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”