Leiarius Pictus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sequoiacat
My images: 1
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Eureka, California

Leiarius Pictus

Post by sequoiacat »

Whats the usual price for one?

Would Spotted Rapheals become snacks if share the same tank? asking because they hide 90% of the time and are quite rough and spiky so Iam unsure.

How long does it take to reach maximuim length when provided adequate room, clean water,and other proper care ?

I'am researching On this Pim and can't find care info that provides answers to these questions.So tell me anything you can think of that isn't on its species page here on Planet Catfish.

Thank YOU
CHRIS.
sequoiacat

Re: Leiarius Pictus

Post by sequoiacat »

SO No one has answers to my questions?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

sequoiacat wrote:Whats the usual price for one?
Prices can vary quite widely - I suspect you can get a big one for less money than a small one as well, since the big ones are often "rescue" fish that very few people can look after because of the tank capacity required.

Bear in mind as well that it's not exactly a common fish - there are about three times as many keepers of L. marmoratus in the Cat-eLog. L. pictus with 11 keepers, it falls in the lower reaches of the number of keepers - it's on 287th place in the "my cats" list of species. L. marmoratus is on 114th place, and Red-Tail Catfish is on 102nd place. Pimelodus pictus has 128 registered keepers, and ends up on 18th place.
Would Spotted Rapheals become snacks if share the same tank? asking because they hide 90% of the time and are quite rough and spiky so Iam unsure.
I wouldn't bet the fish's life on the "spikyness". Also, both are mainly nocturnal, so whilst it hides during the day when you can see what's going on, both will be more active at night when there is no light.
How long does it take to reach maximuim length when provided adequate room, clean water,and other proper care ?
These fish live for a long time, but like most fish, they grow most quickly at the early part of life - I'd expect it to reach a foot or so in 3 years, and then grow slower in the next several years. Obviously, assuming good care, varied diet and correct level of feeding.
I'am researching On this Pim and can't find care info that provides answers to these questions.So tell me anything you can think of that isn't on its species page here on Planet Catfish.

Thank YOU
CHRIS.
I should add that I'm not a keeper of this fish, nor have I ever kept one, and I don't believe I've seen one for sale. I have seen a couple of L. marmoratus "returned to the shop".

--
Mats
sequoiacat

Post by sequoiacat »

Thanks MatsP

So Leiarius Pictus should reach an age between 15-25 years right then, or would they be able to get older?

So far Ive been seeing pricing in the $80 -160 U.S. dollars for young ones, in further research, and $0-300 U.S. dollars for adults and sub adults.

So with the Spotted Rapheal, is it basically a choking hazard for the Leiarius Pictus?

If I do get this Leiarius Pictus I first plan on being able to and have a suitable home before I could get one and a lot of thought.

Also when Ive night watched my tank, with the agamyxis in it, they do cruise around the tank when hungry but when bellies are plump they just stayed in the area of their day time hides just head out looking around instead of tail facing out.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'd expect more than 25 years - after all, small plecos and several corys can live for more than ten years, and this being a bigger fish I'd expect it to live longer.

This is obviously assuming good care [good enough filtration, etc] and no accidents such as filter malfunctions or the fish eating something it shouldn't - there are plenty of examples of large pims eating rocks & decorations, filter attachments or damaging the heater in an attempt to check if it's food. It's probably best to have a sump-filter system with the intake/outlet screwed in, and the heater in the sump, and only have LARGE decorations that won't fit in the fish's mouth [not counting fine-grained substrate & plants].

I still think the Agamyxis is in danger (and possibly posing a danger to the large pim as a "choking danger"). I've seen pictures of large pims (e.g. RTC) eating large common plecos - 10" or more (and they aren't exactly defenseless). That is not an easy bite - and if a 2ft RTC can eat a 10" common, I'd expect a smaller Doradid wouldn't be a problem for a smaller Leiarius.

I like the fact that you are planning to get the suitable tank first. A suitable home for a 2ft fish is a tank/pond that is about 4ft x 8ft base area and at least 3ft deep. You do need some suitable size caves/hiding spaces for the fish as well.

--
Mats
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Good education guys. I'd love to have one too, esp. an adult, but have never seen them locally, neither have I seen them in any of my ventures out to Siracuse, Albany, Buffalo, Hartford (CT)... Sequoiacat, where did you see the ones you mentioned, local CA LFS or internet sites?
sequoiacat

Post by sequoiacat »

internet sites, anubias design, mfk classifieds, google for pricing.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The first one I ever saw was at RiverWonders.com, but they are sold out :(

I bought two other fish from them - true tigrinus and cephalosilurus apurensis - I am very happy and much surprised how good the fish are, size, health, quality... Can anybody else share their experience with RiverWonders? (not sure this post is appropriate place)
prairiefire
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Chestermere Lake Alberta

Post by prairiefire »

I should be getting 4 Leiarius Pictus in from a Peruvian order this week and was wondering if they can be kept together or should I keep them seperated ? They will be 15-18 cm long.
Thanks
Bimmerboy12
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Catfish Haven
Location 2: Nineveh, NY, United States

Post by Bimmerboy12 »

I can't find them around here ether Viktor, I have been earching for them also.
Looking For: Marble Pim, Pim Blochii, Niger Cat, Planiceps, Piraiba, and TSNxMarble.
1x RTC, 1x RTCxTSN, 2x Mystus Leucophasis "Asian Upsidedown Cat"
amazontropical
Location 2: Hickory, NC USA

Post by amazontropical »

A little bit about the Leiarius Pictus. They will grow to two feet in length in a year with enough room and ample food availability. I provided a 12 inch specimen to our local public aquarium last September and it is now over 2 feet in length.
As far as eating your Rafael Cat. While it is posssible I have had not problem with them eating anything other than very small fish in a tank and never had a problem with them eating other catfish, however they are territorial and will only do one per tank.
These are a commonly available fish, but not in really small sizes. I have another 12 inch length fish now for sale and he is $75.00. As with any fish of size price becomes dictated by the cost of the freight to ship them to get them into the US and then on to the person wanting one. Scott
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi Scott, did you get my pm? I am interested in your fish.
-- Viktor

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”