discus with flash pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mangopleco
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:46)
Location 2: New Jersey U.S.A.

discus with flash pleco

Post by mangopleco »

hi do flash plecos go with discus??? i was thinking of get 1 or 2 to put in my tank.
Joe M
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: discus with flash pleco

Post by MatsP »

Yes, but perhaps not the most ideal companions. Discus, at least in nature, live in warm, soft and acidic water that is still or slow-flowing. The flash pleco comes from andean white-water streams that are relatively high pH and not quite so warm, and rather fast-moving (highly oxygenated). I do believe they will go OK together if your water isn't excessively warm and not too acidic.

--
Mats
mangopleco
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:46)
Location 2: New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: discus with flash pl*co

Post by mangopleco »

ok then il go with bushynose i heard that there good with discus
Joe M
kouen
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Moscow, Russia

Post by kouen »

mangopleco wrote:hi do flash plecos go with discus??? i was thinking of get 1 or 2 to put in my tank.
Hi! Don't worry too mach. 204 is very good for discuss fish, they can leave in +30C and need good aeration only A lot of people Russia keep this fishes together. The best choice is 018, 177

My friend contains 3 187a with discuss 1 year!!!! And I will try soon too ;)
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

I've kept L-204's for several years in an aquarium with a temp of 82-84 deg F, a pH of 6.5-7.0, and lots of water movement.
CoryWally
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:75)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Boston Spa, West Yorks, U.K.

Post by CoryWally »

In my experience, L204 munch through a lot of wood creating a lot of debris and potential for clogged filters, which I have found to my cost. Assuming you provide wood (which is advised)and your filtration is top notch and regularly maintained it should be O.K.

Cheers,
Mark.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Do a search on the forum for posts authored by "Larry" in Washington (state), US. He has L-134s (leopard frogs) with his discus, and he could give you lots of advice on both discuss and plecos. Both eat a lot of the same thing, so it works out for both discus and plecos.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 181
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

CoryWally wrote:In my experience, L204 munch through a lot of wood creating a lot of debris and potential for clogged filters, which I have found to my cost. Assuming you provide wood (which is advised)and your filtration is top notch and regularly maintained it should be O.K.
Exactly.

The huge mess the will make could seriously impact water quality and affect the discus.

If the water quality and oxygen levels are kept high, and it's not too acidic, they should be okay together.

I assume they are domestic discus?, so they should be fine with such an arrangement.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I have kept Panaque L204 with both wild Green Discus and domestic Red Turquoise.
The combination was alright when the L204 were still small and young but as they grow they get large and messy which adds more work towards keeping the tank clean. How big a nuisance this is depends on how many plecos you plan to keep. I had 8 specimens but one or two would probably not add enough mess to be a problem given the frequency and quantity of water changes most Discus keepers do.
I recommend keeping some of the Hypancistrus spp or small Peckoltia spp instead of many L204's..
They do well on foods discus prefer and do not need wood in their diet. The only reservations I have about keeping them together is if you feed your Discus mainly beef heart blend foods. I have found that these Plecos all love to eat heart but they seem to have a problem digesting it and many times I have tried this I had unexplained pleco deaths. I still keep them together but not in my Discus grow out tanks where I use a lot of beef heart.
It doesn't hurt if the plecos eat a little heart once in awhile as I have been keeping L134 with my wild Alenquer Discus for 3 years but I only feed these adult Discus heart a couple times a week. They are mostly fed frozen blood worms and some Tetra Color bits.
I kept L134, L66 and L333 in with 10 adult Heckel Discus for over 4 years.
I had a gold Nugget for some time in with them but it eventually died.

The Gold Nugget Plecos are not among my first choices as Discus tank mates. They are very sensitive and delicate fish as Plecos go. Their long term survival rates are generally poor except in dedicated large tanks set up specifically for them.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”