Zamora Catfish compatible?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Zamora Catfish compatible?

Post by Shaun »

I want to convert my largest tank into a display for some of my South American catfish, the centre piece(s) will be my 4 Zamora catfish. The potential tankmates are Pimelodus ornatus and pictus, Hoplo cats, Flagtail Dianema cats, large Sturisoma sp, Pterygoplichthys L001,Spotted Silver Dollars and Flagtail Prochilodus. Not all will be going in, as the tank (500ltrs) would be overcrowded, but does anyone see a problem with any of these species?
The Zamora cats are very active after lights out in the tank, and very voracious feeders. There's lots of wood, plants and some ceramic flowerpots/tubes. Plenty of hiding places to go around.
Thanks,
Shaun
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Zamora Catfish compatible?

Post by Marc van Arc »

I don't see any problems, except for the fact that the Ornatus, Gibby and flagtail Prochilodus (brilliant fish btw) will eventually get too big. But apart from these three species I've been keeping my A. coracoideus with the same species you mention without problems.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks Marc :D I'm really glad the others are compatible as I really want Hoplos and/or Dianema cats. I understand the ornatus, Pterygoplichthys and Flagtails will get quite large. I'm not really sold on the idea of Flagtails anyway, large, migratory, schooling fish are probably wrong for the largest tank I can provide. My biggest misgiving about the Pterygoplichthys was that it might "sucker" the A. coracoideus when they're in their daytime hiding places? That would rule them out for me.
I do still want a Pimelodus ornatus, I'll have to carefully consider that one.
Spotted Silver Dollars are ok? Cool.
Thanks again,
Shaun
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Shaun wrote:My biggest misgiving about the Pterygoplichthys was that it might "sucker" the A. coracoideus when they're in their daytime hiding places? That would rule them out for me.
I really don't know if they do that (although I'm sure any not too small "victim" would swim off); it's just that I think gibbys become too big and therefore should not be kept, unless in very large tanks. There are many smaller and much nicer "suckers", also non-catfish. The best algae eater I know is Crossocheilus siamensis.
crosso2.jpg
crosso2.jpg (12.74 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
But Ancistrus species will also do nicely.

Shaun wrote:I do still want a Pimelodus ornatus, I'll have to carefully consider that one.
Spotted Silver Dollars are ok? Cool.
The problem I see wrt ornatus is that they may become fierce food competitors, but as long as you keep your eyes open I'd say go for it.
Metynnis maculatus are in my Top 5 of characins; love them!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks Marc, glad to see someone else likes Metynnis :D
This will be finished in a couple of weeks, so far the inhabitants list will be:
4 x A. coracoideus
1 x pair of Hoplos
3 x Sturisoma sp.
8 x Brochis splendens
1 x P. ornatus
and 5 or so Spotted Metynnis...
I will probably add a small Ancistrus as well. That's pretty much everything I wanted to keep in the tank, not too heavily stocked and space for "unexpected" additions later on :)
Shaun
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

skip the Ancistrus; the Sturi's will keepthe tank algae free

Sturisoma's are bad swimmers, in fact they can wriggle a bit but it's not realswimming

ancistrus is much better at it (more powerful build) and also has a fair bit more character.

pimelodus ornatus is one of the few Pimelodus species that really should be kept in agroup, because it's a social species

a single one is a sad fish. best keept 4-5 or skip it.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”