Madtoms?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
judas_az
Location 1: Phoenix AZ
Interests: Fish, Street racing

Madtoms?

Post by judas_az »

I bought a fully stocked aquarium not to long ago and it came with two madtoms, the lady I bought it from told me the exact name of the fish but I forgot it!! If anybody could help me identify it that would be great, It kind of looks like a channel cat but its about four inches (5 with back fin) it has 2 sets of whiskers and one whisker on each side has some branching out its a light brick red in color, it only comes out at nights. Ive looked at all the local petshops around here and still not one madtom has came up. Any help is greatly appreciated :!:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

At that size, I am guessing that you have a stonecat (Noturus flavus).
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

Considering size and availability alone id say slender madtom {Noturus Exilis). But by the description of "looks like a channel cat" Id agree with silurus and say stonecat also. Compare in the CatElog you might be able to identify it.
judas_az
Location 1: Phoenix AZ
Interests: Fish, Street racing

Tillas

Post by judas_az »

I talked to the lady I bought the tank from and went and bought another 3 she told me they were called tillas, she also told me she was the first to spawn them in the u.s. they get full grown at about 6 inches. Im still not sure what species they are but they look great :lol:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That kinda rules out the stonecat, since they grow much larger.

Return to “Other Catfishes”