ID Please. is this C. Leopardus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
PanzerFodder
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: North York, Ontario, Canada.

ID Please. is this C. Leopardus?

Post by PanzerFodder »

Hello again.

Got another Cory for you to ID, I have checked my book and think that they may well be Corydoras Leopardus, but am not 100% sure about that (they are being sold as C. Jullii) I think that the one's in the photo have long nose's and C.Jullii are more blunt nosed looking?.

Please feel free to post comments.

Thanks for looking...Graham...
Birger Amundsen
I've donated: $380.00!
My images: 70
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 98 (i:25, k:0)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Bamble,Norway
Location 2: Norway

Re: ID Please. is this C. Leopardus?

Post by Birger Amundsen »

Looks like there are two species there? A shotfrom the side would help.
Best Regards Birger
PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

Thanks for the reply.

That is a photo from the seller and are supposed to be wild caught fish, (have just sent him a message asking for a side view photo) but if you are sure that there are 2 different species there, I don't think that I will bother ordering them as shipping these things around the country is expensive.

Cheer's...Graham...
Birger Amundsen
I've donated: $380.00!
My images: 70
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 98 (i:25, k:0)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Bamble,Norway
Location 2: Norway

Post by Birger Amundsen »

This is just a personal opinion, but going by the pattern, the size and "nose" of the fish, it seems like two species?
Best Regards Birger
PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

Thats a good point Birger, as I assumed that it was a male and female in the front, but now I have looked at it closely, the smaller of the two does look like is has a "Rounder nose" :-\ will just have to wait and see if the seller comes good with side view shot of them.

Thanks...Graham...
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

definitely two different species (or more), the long-snouted could be C. leopardus or C. gomezi (the one left of the big one also).
The short-snouted could be C. trilineatus or C. julii (or C. acrensis) depending on the catching location.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
prairiefire
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Chestermere Lake Alberta

Post by prairiefire »

Those fish are in my tank, also my photo. I don't think there are 2 or more species in there. I will take a side shot today and post it. These fish were ordered out of Peru as C. julii but I confess I know next to nothing about cory's
prairiefire

Post by prairiefire »

Oops my bad they came from Colombia 8-}
PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

prairiefire wrote:Oops my bad they came from Colombia 8-}
Oops my bad as well for not asking before posting your photo on this forum :ymblushing: (had to copy and paste it to my photobucket as I could not get the link from Jorgs post back at GTAA forum to show the photo here :-\ Hope that you not offended by that?).

I have sent Jorg a message asking for a side view but he has not got back to me yet, but if you want to post one here or at the GTAA site that would be great, looking at the response to the photo on that site you may be able to sale fish to a couple of us once we have established what species they are.

Also a big thanks for mentioning that they came from Colombia, that should help me a great deal with identifying them :-BD .

Thanks and Cheer's...Graham...
prairiefire

Post by prairiefire »

No worries about posting the photo Graham I only get bent out of shape when the hormone farms use pics of my ruby red peacocks to sell their junk. These corys came from Colombia and were ordered as C. julii, they came in big some at close to 3 inches easily the biggest corys I have ever seen. I will email Jose and see if he knows more detail about where they were collected from, but I won't hold my breath for a response. Looking At the 12 I have here it appears only the biggest one has the extended snout but it is identical in every other way to the rest. The big one in the middle of the original pic is no longer here so I can't take a side shot of him/her. The first pic is a side shot from the fish in question and the second pic is from a fish that came in from a Peruvian order in a box marked as assorted corys "yay" but looks very close to these. Just thought I would throw it in there because it made me understand how difficult some of these corys are to identify.
C.julii ? from Colombia
Came in from Peru as assorted cory
PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

Thanks for posting these photos, I am going to stick my neck out and say that both of these fish are but in a spotted form, and yours are a very handsome fish too, if I may say so :YMAPPLAUSE: .

The only thing that I am confused by is that my book says they only come from Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil?.
So maybe they were caught in one of those Countries and were just dispatched from Columbia?.

Please Help me out here Guys if I am wrong!.

Thanks again for the photos…Graham…
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

Kind of interesting because about a month+ ago, I saw the exact same situation at the LFS in my area. They had a mixed of leopardus and trilineatus.

The big guy and the guy behind him in the first photo in the first post is definitely a different species. They look exactly the same as the ones I picked up.

PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

That's a nice fish as well EDGE, b-) I wonder if these two species, like to hang out in the same place's in the wild and that may be why they turn up in mixed batches of wild caughts at LFS?. (not at my LFS though #-O )

BTW: Anyone care to back my up with my guess that prairiefire's fish are in fact "Corydoras trilineatus spotted form"?

Cheer's...Graham...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 181
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

PanzerFodder wrote: BTW: Anyone care to back my up with my guess that prairiefire's fish are in fact "Corydoras trilineatus spotted form"?
Yes, looks like upper Amazon . There are two species in the first post though, likely and .
PanzerFodder wrote:I wonder if these two species, like to hang out in the same place's in the wild and that may be why they turn up in mixed batches of wild caughts at LFS?
You haven't read this then?
prairiefire

Post by prairiefire »

OK I went downstairs and took some more pics. I got a couple pics of the longer nosed one and comparing the pics I did find some slight differences in patterns. they are much harder to see in the tank thou.

PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

I would think that the fish in the last photo with the long nosed is "Corydoras leopardus", as it looks identical to the one in my book.

A very nice looking cory IMO, and a nice bit of photography as well, what camera do you use to get photos as good as this?.

Cheer's...Graham...
prairiefire

Post by prairiefire »

Well I sent the exporter of the corys an email asking him the collection points. I also sent him the photo's and told him what you guys had identified them as. Here is his response -

Hi Jorg,

Well, here in Colombia everybody knows them as julii and sold them this way altough I thought all of them were trilineatus. It’s very difficult for me to say where were they collected because we have different sources and to establish which we used back them is quite quite diffcult. However I can try to look for leopardus right now, I will look if we have them now.

Best regards,

So it looks like he will be separating the leopardus from the trilineatus which is good news
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The one fact that does need to be set in stone is that C. julii do not and have never ever lived in Peru or Colombia, they come from the eastern side of central Brazil.

The rounded nosed fish pictured is almost certainly C. trilineatus. However the long nosed fish could be either C. leopardus, C. gomezi 0r even C130. My best guess and based on the head and snout shape would be C. gomezi.

Ian

C. gomezi
Image courtesy Ian Fuller & Corydorasworld.com
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

prairiefire wrote:
So it looks like he will be separating the leopardus from the trilineatus which is good news
Maybe, maybe not. Yes you'll get all the same species together in a group but the ones that are not the usual ones will probably go up in price!!!
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
prairiefire

Post by prairiefire »

There is lots of different opinions I can see why they just call them C. julii and be done with it, even here with relatively clear photo's their is a difference of opinion. I don't think the fishermen on the river have that luxury
PanzerFodder

Post by PanzerFodder »

Don't think that it's just the South Americans that make this mistake, I saw a whole tank of about 100 C.trilineatus that had been farm bred in Asia at my LFS a few weeks back, they had been marked as "C.julii" as well.

Ian, thanks for your input in this thread, now at the risk of making myself look like an idiot :-S please could you explain what are the main differences between the heads on "C.gomezi" and "C.leopardus" because with the exception of some thier markings the general body shape of these two look identical to my untrained eye :-?? .

Thanks to everyone for the comments, this is becoming a very intresting ID thread :-BD

Cheer's...Graham...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”