Stores worth a visit in/around Toronto?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Stores worth a visit in/around Toronto?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi All,

1. I probably will be in Toronto this weekend. Could anybody name an LFS or two that might interest me personally? I am NOT interested in any 1-2 stores, no matter how big or wonderful their selection might be, but in a store that carries and sells large fish - trade-ins, overgrown fish from breeders/trans-shippers, oddballs, or what not. Something of the likes of Shark Aquarium in Hillside, NJ (route 22, near NYC). Such LFS's are extremely rare from my experience.

2. A jewel of a find for me would be to locate a big-fish-rescue place, not only for a chance to buy/adopt fish but to see the operation and to network. Does anybody know such a place in or around Toronto or on the way from Buffalo, NY or Niagara Falls, NY/CA to Toronto?

3. Yeah, I've heard that almost anything can be found or ordered in Chinatown but most of that stuff is illegal. Again, I've heard only rumors told with a smile or a laugh, so I'm not sure what exactly to make of it.

4. Lastly, I've never imported fish to the US before from Canada. I wonder what paperwork, if any, needs to be shown at the border. Naturally, I realize I cannot bring any illegal fish, e.g., many rare arowanas (federal ban) or certain snakeheads (NY state ban).

Please educate me.

Thanks all!

Viktor
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: Stores worth a visit in/around Toronto?

Post by L number Banana »

Here's the fish list of the controlled species http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/listedecontro ... lterResult but the whole thing is somewhat confusing as to what can go out of Canada. I think there may be better answers by calling the 1-800 number at the bottom of this page: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/regs-eng.html
You might be better off calling the US customs to see what you can bring into the US?

For buying fish, I'd check CanadaPleco forum, they have three areas of interest on this page, Store profiles, What's in the stores and another one called Sponsors / Dealers / Shops / Links. http://www.canadapleco.com/forum.php

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to make a note in Traveller's Notebook (or speak Easy?) if you find anything interesting there!
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
L number Banana

Also, Hitch lives in Toronto, maybe he wouldn't mind a PM from you.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks a bunch, L # Banana! Sorry, who is Hitch and why is it a good idea to PM him?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

You should make a post on my site... http://www.canadapleco.com and most of the users on die hard pleco folks in the Toronto area. Also checkout http://gtaaquaria.com LOTS of users... will tell you whats in what stores in a day or less.

These are a few that stand out for having more odd ball, large, different stuff.
Dragon Aquarium - Mississauga
Luckys - Markham (there's like 5 or 6 shops within 5km of this one, most within walking distance)

Its a pain in the butt bringing fish into the states from Canada, the other way around is a breeze. Call US customs and find out what they want, it has nothing to do with CDN customs.

Hope you have a good trip,

Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
L number Banana

Hi Rich, I hoped you'd notice the plug for your site -it's a good read and the store info is good too. I have to stay away from the sales area though...Blue Eyed Panaque indeed! Keep up the good work.

Viktor, I mentioned Hitch because he's a member here and also on Rich's site. Very friendly and seems to frequent the shops. Also was quite helpful to me when I asked about Toronto shops. Maybe he'll see this post. You can find him as a keeper of L600 among others.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:6)
My BLogs: 4 (i:3, p:202)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Hi

I can recommend Gold Ocean in Richmond Hill, north of Toronto. They usually have large fish, and also a GREAT selection of pleco's, stingrays... arowana, and other large fish...

give them a call and see what they have... nice guys also..
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you all for your help (and Hitch for a wonderful, descriptive pm; could I copy and paste it here, Hitch?).

So far I only have had a chance to visit 3 stores last Saturday.

Menagerie in downtown was fun but not fish-wise. The fish were good but with only ~40 tanks of small fishes this does not fit my purposes. The talking, singing, and mocking parrots were a major hoot though!

Lucky's Aquarium was hard to find - a tiny sign in the 2nd floor window of the small mall building!? But the place was indeed wonderful - I saw at least 6 cats and Co that I have never, ever seen anywhere in the US in all my trips. The arowanas are breathtaking - what a terrible pity they are illegal in the states and an even far, far more painful pity that there are probably none left in the wild. Majestic animals. The place is very clean, sparkling clean and the staff is very friendly. Good feeling. Did not buy anything there but, God willing, will return to buy.

Big Al's Scarborough was a hit. Excellent, excellent place. Again, fish never seen (by me) in the US, lots of clean beautiful tanks, waterfalls, ponds, lots of big fish too. Got me a 1.5' Ag arowana, a 6-7" mottled Clarias batrachus (don't remember if illegal in all the states (federal ban) or just southern ones where it can survive in native waters), 7" high-fin emperor pangasius (I think Pangasius sanitwongsei but need to do more checking), and a few others for my better half. Clean place, very helpful, friendly, and generous staff. Surely will be back if given an opportunity.

Are all Big Al's like that? I mean that big with that good a selection?

Thanks all, again. More later, after our property-scouting trip to southern FL next week.

BTW: I did not lie at the border. The US officer asked us if we made any purchases in CA, and I said "Yeah, some fish," and waived in the direction of the trunk (containing 4 big coolers). He said ok and let us go. 15 sec later I realized he probably thought we bought fish for food. Probably good I did not elaborate "some pet fish" so we were spared an inspection.

Viktor
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

That is often the best option: not laying, but by telling a bit less than the whole truth, making the officer believe what you want =))
cats have whiskers
CanadaPleco

Post by CanadaPleco »

No not all Big Als are like that one in Scarb. The other good one is in Mississauga on Dundas. Its nice, has a lot of different stuff and I believe is the largest of all the big als. The bonus to the Mississauga one is that Dragon is right across the parking lot and is also a great shop that has some very different stuff!

If you liked the asian aro's at Lucks you should have gone across the street to Dragon King Aquarium they have like a 8000g tank with 10 or more HUGE ones.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Bas Pels wrote:by telling a bit less than the whole truth
well, in my case, I said what I said in all honesty expecting he would ask to pop the trunk and there we'd begin the possibly painful song and dance... I was somewhat shocked when he said ok, go now.
CanadaPleco wrote:The other good one is in Mississauga on Dundas. Its nice, has a lot of different stuff and I believe is the largest of all the big als.
Thanks Rich! I'll make sure to visit it next time I am there.
CanadaPleco wrote:The bonus to the Mississauga one is that Dragon is right across the parking lot and is also a great shop that has some very different stuff
Yeah, it was on my list as well as Gold Ocean in Richmond Hill. We did not make it to either due to some unfortunate circumstances. Hopefully, I/we will.
CanadaPleco wrote: If you liked the asian aro's at Lucks you should have gone across the street to Dragon King Aquarium
?? I saw a glimpse of this name during my research but erroneously equated that with just Dragon Aquarium in Sauga. So there is also a Dragon King Aquarium? (Anymore "Dragons"? - who names stores so similarly?) Well, I'll have to go there again anyway so now I know to visit Dragon King.
CanadaPleco wrote:they have like a 8000g tank with 10 or more HUGE ones
The guys at Luckys were telling me asian arowanas fight a lot (and are very hard to sex) but it was possible to alleviate that in a big tank, so I guess this is the exemplary case. 8000 US gal tank!? Wow. 10 huge asian aros in one tank!? Double wow. A MUST-see. Thanks Rich!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

Big Al's have had a bit of a name change in one of the Ottawa stores but I don't really get it since they still answer the phone with "Big Al's". It's also very clean with terrific staff and it's HUGE. That's where I got my F.amazona types, they also had some bigger cats but only the kind that would have eaten mine. Worth checking them online before your next trip to see if they have anything interesting in stock there, if you like to drive, it's about 4 hours - two straight highways.

This makes me think that we should still have a fish-wish-list on the site somewhere. If I knew what you were looking for I could take a boo when I'm in TO for the 10th/12th of December. (Bike show b-) )

How long did it take you to get there?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

L number Banana wrote:Worth checking them online before your next trip to see if they have anything interesting in stock there, if you like to drive, it's about 4 hours - two straight highways.
If I didn't know better, I'd say you are luring me to Ottawa, like a siren of a kind :))
L number Banana wrote:This makes me think that we should still have a fish-wish-list on the site somewhere. If I knew what you were looking for I could take a boo when I'm in TO for the 10th/12th of December. (Bike show b-) )
That'd be just a terrific idea! Very, very nice! So nice that I think there must be or better be a very good reason for why there is no such spot on the PlanetCatfish. It'd be very exciting and extremely helpful and time-saving to me. I also remember others, like Richard B, saying they LOVE knowing what's available where - slightly different but from the same family of ideas.
L number Banana wrote:How long did it take you to get there?
Well, 1. if there is no line at the border and 2. there are plenty of crazy Canadians driving 120-140 km/h in a 100 km/h zone around me (and 120 km/h in 80 km/h zone "shocked") , I can make it in 2 h and 30-45 min from my doorstep to Toronto downtown.
L number Banana wrote:If I knew what you were looking for I could take a boo when I'm in TO for the 10th/12th of December.
I can email you my wish-list but it is extensive, ~100 entries. No kidding. Not that I can buy and house so many fish at once but if this spreads over a few years, that may work out to a workable pace. Plus, just like all, I am looking for deals for I am no millionaire - which means the pace is even slower.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

Viktor Jarikov:
2. there are plenty of crazy Canadians driving 120-140 km/h in a 100 km/h zone around me (and 120 km/h in 80 km/h zone "shocked") ,
Take a look at the plates and most of them will say Quebec. Then look up bike and car racing and you'll see why so many of them are from Quebec. It's funny, my French buddies are soo laid back with all the dancing/music/drinking and eating but get them on the highway and they're fearless (or crazy!).
If I didn't know better, I'd say you are luring me to Ottawa, like a siren of a kind :))
That's funny, a water-related woman (Aquarian) that makes people's ships crash, and your monetary ship would crash if you keep buying fish here. But I just realized it may not be so far for you if you cross at the bridge in Ogdensburg -Prescott Bridge). Ottawa is straight up from there.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdensburg ... nal_Bridge
Not to worry though, I can't sing a note %-(

Send your Fish list and I'll make a copy to bring with me. I'll be in Toronto in early December and Ottawa just after that. The crossing near my town is St.Vincent, NY so if there's anything too spectacular to pass up we could arrange an exchange. I have extra tanks.
CanadaPleco

Post by CanadaPleco »

I've been to both of the Big Als in ottawa area and wasnt really impressed with either of them. That was 3 or so years ago, but I kind of doubt things have changed much.

We Canadians all drive over the speed limit, Toronto is the worst they all drive so slow through the city its pathetic. I live out in the country (lots of lakes and what not) all the speed limits are 80km/hr and if your not doing 100 then you're really irriating the people behind you lol. The cops don't bother pulling you over at that speed either. I remember when I used to live 40 odd km from Toronto and drove in every morning, the left lane of the hwy did 160 km/hr the middle 140 and the slow lane was doing 120 LOL. this was every single day, was awesome. Stupid speed limits in North America.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 111
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

We Canadians all drive over the speed limit,
I admit nothing [-(
Birger
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Well, the signs like "50 km/h over the limit = $10,000 fine, impound, license loss, jail, etc." along the Queen Elizabeth Way should have clued me in, I guess :)

The situation in the US is qualitatively the same but quantitatively different: vast majority drive up to 10 miles/h (or 16 km/h) over the limit, usually around 5 miles/h over the limit, and if you drive at a speed limit in the leftmost lane and not at 10 miles/h over, you will get horns, high-beam flashes, and an occasional inappropriate gesture or a yell.

But our northern friends just blow us out of the water... :)

Ok, L#banana, your turn to confess?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
arapaimag
My images: 6
My cats species list: 109 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Quaoar
Interests: watching grass grow

Post by arapaimag »

What odd balls/big fish do you keep?
How I built my big tank http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... php?t=8952

Honk, if you like peace and quiet............
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wow! I've attracted attention of the Canadian legend - The Wayne Gretzky of the elite monster-fish-keeping world.

I am joking in a way, Arapaimag, but using this opportunity I must convey my utter delight in seeing and knowing what and how you did and do. (You probably get this a lot, or too much, so please, forgive me.)

If you will, please take a look at my humble stuff - it will answer your question:

3 pages (almost up to date except a few guys I've picked up 2 weeks ago from Jonathan Strazinsky of former monster-fish-rescue and the fish picked up in Toronto last week): http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 25&t=29488

this is about koi (probably not terribly interesting for you): http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =2&t=30929
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

Hi Viktor,

That particular build is commonly referenced at my house: When The Bigger Half grouches about something not done around the house, I always say, "I could build a nice pond for the house..." and it's that spectacular fish-room (!) that he knows I'm referring to. Legendary indeed! And that website will keep you busy for hours...
Ok, L#banana, your turn to confess?
Fast Driving - hahaha
Take a minute to look where I am in the world of drivers.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =2&t=31041

But if I had money, time and more courage, I would first build that 'pond' and then I would try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqWCESH ... re=related
I'm afraid it will be a while before I fit in with my Crazy Canuck Drivers. And notice that road is closed off. I'm a chicken when it comes to speeders.
Oh, now I'm getting too OT again sorry - a little obsessed at the moment :ymblushing:

Back to the real issue - how's the new fish and where's the pics?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

here we go http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 05#p206605

and I will email you my fish-wish-list; you are way too kind, offering all kinds of help - thanks much, L # banana!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

ok, I cannot send you an email right away because PlanetCatfish does not list your email but rather a link which does not work for me - I use Yahoo mail directly and the link does not accomodate for it, I guess. So why don't I just post it here? Well, I can think of at least a few reasons why not - e.g., many will think I am nuts - but then, what's another hundred-two-three-hundred people when thousands already know it, right? On the plus side, I won't have to email it to any one else anymore - just point to this post.

I should mention also that

-- this list does not imply that I can buy and house so many fish at once but if the acqisition spreads over 5-10 years, that may work out to a doable pace;
-- as all, I am looking for deals, freebies, etc. for I am no millionaire - which also means the pace is slow;
-- this is not an all-inclusive list but rather a flavor-giving one... yeah, as crazy as it sounds...

1. Pimelodidae Aguarunichthys Aguarunichthys cf. torosus or Aguarunichthys torosus Jello Band Catfish
2. Pimelodidae Brachyplatystoma Brachyplatystoma filamentosum( Brachyplatystoma goeldii, Pimelodus filamentosus, Piratinga piraaiba, Platystoma affine, P. gigas, Sorubimichthys gigas) CATFISH SALTON; Piraiba
3. Pimelodidae Calophysus Calophysus macropterus (Pimeletropsis lateralis, Pimelodus ctenodus, P. macropterus) Amazon: Pintadinho, Amazon: Piracatinga, Orinoco: Bagre machete, Orinoco: Mapurite, Orinoco: Zamurito, Vulture Catfish
4. Pimelodidae Hemisorubim Hemisorubim platyrhynchos (Platystoma platyrhynchos) CATFISH SHOVELNOSE SPOTTED
5. Mystus vittatus Asian Striped Catfish (large sizes only)
6. Horabagrus brachysoma Bullseye Catfish, Burmese sun catfish, sun catfish, eclipse catfish (only over 1 foot)
7. Sorubim lima "Lima Shovelnose Catfish" (over 1.5 foot)
8. Auchenoglanis occidentalis "Giraffe or giraffe-nosed Catfish" (over 1 foot)
9. Brachyplatystoma juruense Ginesia cunaguaro, Platystoma juruense "Banded Shovelnose Catfish" or flash zebra catfish (over 1.5 foot) Brachyplatysoma cf. juruense "flash zebra" Gold Zebra Pim and regular Brachyplatysoma juruense
10. Phractocephalus hemioliopterus "South American Red Tail Catfish" (over 2 feet)
11. Pseudodoras niger = Oxydoras niger "Giant Armored Catfish" turushuki, mother of snails, ripsaw catfish (over 3 feet) Pseudodoras holdeni, Corydoras edentatus, Doras niger, Rhinodoras niger, R. prianomus
12. Goeldiella eques "Horseface Catfish" or Pimelodus eques
13. Ageneiosus marmoratus "Bottlenose Catfish"
14. Clarias batrachus, Clarias (Walking) Catfish
15. Pangasius sutchi Pangasius hypophthalmus, Iridescent Shark, Iridescent Catfish, Sutchi Shark, River Catfish (over 2.5 feet)
16. Black Lancer Cat (Bagrichthys hypselopterus)
17. Pangasius gigas; Mekong Giant Catfish - Pangasius gigas, P. paucidens
18. Pangasiidae Pangasius Pangasius sanitwongsei or Pangasius beani, Chao Phraya Giant Catfish, Paroon Shark, Pla Tepa
19. Siluridae Silurus Silurus glanis Silurus glanis aralensis, S. silurus European Catfish, Sheatfish, Wels
20. TSN (over 3 feet)
21. Leiarius longibarbis Leiarus marmoratus Sciades marmoratus "Marbled Pim or Achara Catfish " (over 2.5 feet)
22. Pimelodidae Pinirampus Pinirampus pirinampu Galeichthys araguayensis, Pimelodus insignis, P. pinirampu, Pinirampus agassizii, P. typus, Platynematichthys araguayensis
23.. Pimelodidae Zungaro Zungaro zungaro Bagrus flavicans, Brachyplatystoma flavicans, Paulicea jahu, P. luetkeni, P. lutkeni, Pimelodus zungaro, Platystoma lütkeni, Pseudopimelodus humbdolti, P. zungaro, Zungaro humboldtii, Z. luetkeni Giant Jello Catfish, Giant Jelly Catfish, Jau, Manguruyú (Argentina) (large sizes only)
24. Ictaluridae Pylodictis Pylodictis olivaris or Silurus olivaris Appaloosa Catfish, Appaluchion, Flat Belly Catfish, Flat Head Catfish, Goujon, Mississippi Catfish, Mud Catfish, North American Flathead Catfish, Tabby Catfish, Yellow Catfish
25. Ictaluridae Ictalurus Ictalurus furcatus Amiurus meridionalis, Ictalurus meridionalis, Pimelodus furcatus Blue Channel Catfish, Fulton Catfish, Great Blue Catfish, High Fin Blue Catfish, Humpback Catfish, North American Blue Catfish, Silver Catfish, White Fulton Catfish (over 2 feet)
26. Ictaluridae Ameiurus Ameiurus catus Ictalurus catus, Silurus catus North American White Catfish, White Catfish
27. Pimelodidae Pimelodus Pimelodus maculatus Spotted Pim
28. Pimelodidae Sorubimichthys Sorubimichthys planiceps Platystoma planiceps, P. spatula, Pteroglanis manni, Sorubim jandia, Sorubimichthys ortoni, S. spatula Brazil: Peixe-lenha, Colombia: Cabo de hacha, Firewood Catfish, Orinoquia: Guerevere, Peru: Acha Cubo, Venezuela: Doncella, Venezuela: Paletona
29. Pimelodidae Brachyplatystoma Brachyplatystoma platynemum Brachyplatystoma platynema, Goslinea platynema, Taenionema steeri Brazil: Barba Chata, Colombia: Baboso, Colombia: Saliboro, Slobbering Catfish, Venezuela: Bagre Grabanzo, Venezuela: Hipe
30. Pimelodidae Pseudoplatystoma Pseudoplatystoma corruscans Platystoma corruscans, Silurus macrocephalus, Sorubim caparary Spotted Shovelnose, Surubi (Argentina)
31. Hassar orestis Hassar notospilus, Hemidoras notospilus, Oxydoras orestis Black Top Mouse Catfish
32. Chrysichthys ornatus Amarginops ornatus Ornate bagrid
33. Pterodoras granulosus Doras granulosus Armado (Argentina), Bacu (Brazil), Common Bacu (over 1 foot)
34. Leiocassis siamensis (over 5") Leiocassis siamensis Asian Bumblebee Catfish, Siamese Catfish
35. Ictalurus punctatus albino (channel catfish) (over 1.5 foot)
36. Liosomadoras oncinus Arius oncinus; Jaguar Catfish
37. Megalodoras uranoscopus Doras libertatis, D. uranoscopus, Hoplodoras uranoscopus, Megalodoras irwini, M. libertatis - Giant Raphael Catfish, Giant Talking Catfish (over 1 foot)
38. Bagridae Hemibagrus Hemibagrus wyckii Bagrus wyckii, Macrones wyckii, Mystus wyckii - Baung Jaksa, Crystal Eyed Catfish (over 1.5 feet)
39. Bagridae Hemibagrus Hemibagrus wyckioides Macrones wyckioides, Mystus wyckioides - Asian Red Tailed Catfish, Common Baung, Pla Kayeng Thong, Trey khya
40. Bagridae Bagroides Bagroides melapterus Bagroides melanopterus - Harlequin Lancer
41. Auchenipteridae Asterophysus Asterophysus batrachus Gulper Catfish, Ogre Catfish
42. Pseudopimelodidae Lophiosilurus Lophiosilurus alexandri Silurus muticus Pac-Man Catfish, Pacamã
43. CATFISH SCIADES/RED TAIL HYBRID, Perrunichthys perruno x phractocephalus hemiolopterus
44. CATFISH PICTUS SCAIDES, Leiarius pictus (over 2.5 feet)
45. CATFISH PIM/RED TAIL HYBRID, Phractocephalus hemiliopters x pimelodus sp.
46. CATFISH PIM/SHOVELNOSE HYBRID , Sorubim lima x pimelodus sp.
47. CATFISH PIM/TIGER SHOVEL HYBRID, P. fasciatum x pimelodus sp.
48. Bagridae Hemibagrus Hemibagrus nemurus Bagrus nemurus, Macrones nemurus, Mystus nemurus
49. Bagridae Sperata Sperata aor Aorichthys aor, Macrones aor, Mystus aor, Orichthys aor, Pimelodus aor Indian Shovelnose Catfish (over 1-2 foot)
50. CAT TIGER-TURASHUKIN, Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum x pseudodoras niger
51. Pimelodidae Platystomatichthys Platystomatichthys sturio Platystoma sturio Sturgeon Catfish, Zorro Catfish
52. CATFISH SOLDIER, Doradidae Lithodoras Lithodoras dorsalis Doras dorsalis, D. papillionatus, Megalodoras pauciquamatus (over 1.5 feet)
53. Arapaima Gigas or paiche or the pirarucu
54. Any Sturgeon, e.g., white S., Lake Sturgeon Acipenser Fulvescens, Chinese Sturgeon Acipenser sinensis
55. Gar (true gars) – Lepisosteidae; cuban, shortnose, longnose
56. Arowanas
57. Large freshwater eels
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

Well that's quite the wish-list!
The fish on my wish list are at the opposite end of the spectrum and would all fit into the mouth of one of yours :))

I should be able to get you some native cats in the spring, Flat heads, mudcats etc. The downside is that it would be from our local fishermen. They know I'm always looking for madtoms so I have several contacts. I'll call a few and put out feelers for those type cats but caught with hookless lures or a net etc. I will also check out the local fresh fish restaurants as I get to them. I've heard that they sometimes have cats in their tanks that the customers can order for their plate...It will therefore only cost you the price of the meal :d
Same thing for eels, I'll talk to the kids at the bridge - for a few bucks, they'll be nice to the fish. Lake Sturgeon are all over the place I hear but I may have to wait for them to be in season because I have no idea on that point - they also need a LONG swimming area - you may have to hook up some of your ponds to make a run!

I have one pond that I don't keep any fish in yet so I can hold anything native I find in those until we can arrange an exchange. A lake sturgeon will only fit comfortably if it's still small, nine feet of fish is longer than my pond. He would jump out on the first run and be raccoon food by the morning. Same for anything like Silurus Glanis, a 16 foot fish wouldn't even fit in the truck and may eat me on the way home - try to hide one of those from border guards.
"Excuse me m'am, have you anything in your oversize purse?"
"no."
"Well, it's looking at me from the hole it bit through the leather.."
:))

The others I'll have to see what's available. My regular places don't sell hybrids as a rule but like many of us, they don't know every hybrid combination when they see it. I see RTC's once in a while, so I'll send you a pic if I find one

I get first dibs on any Black Lancer I see!! You would get the next one - it's the only larger fish on my wish list. Ditto for a Jaguar cat and a Black Top Mouse. Mine, mine, all mine and one for you too.

As for the others, I'll print out your list and keep it with me just in case :-BD

You'll have to PM me through here and I'll send you my email. If people post their emails here, we'd be spammed out of house and home.
PS, I realize your fish-list isn't necessarily something you'd be putting in your house tomorrow - my own wish-list includes jellyfish! Can you imagine the tank set-up I would have to make to keep the current going up without creating a vortex of some sort? I'm still buying lottery tickets when I remember so maybe someday...
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

LNB: Well that's quite the wish-list!
VJ: Thanks! And you really looked through carefully. Wow! Thanks!

LNB: The fish on my wish list are at the opposite end of the spectrum and would all fit into the mouth of one of yours :))
VJ: :)) :))

LNB: I should be able to get you some native cats in the spring, Flat heads, mudcats etc. The downside is that it would be from our local fishermen. They know I'm always looking for madtoms so I have several contacts. I'll call a few and put out feelers for those type cats but caught with hookless lures or a net etc.
VJ: Cool. You are the best! I thought flathead cat = mudcat, no? No real need for a hookless capture so long as the unhooking is done gently and with minimal stress and damage to the fish. Chances are they will heal up nicely and quickly and I'll have to quarantine anyway and treat against bacteria and parasites. But what you suggest is of course closer to ideal. Size is important. The trip is far and expensive. I'd like to make it for a really big cat(s), say 1-2 footers are a "may be worth it, may be not"; 3-4 becomes much more attractive; anything bigger is an emphatic yes! I am trying the same thing here with the local amateur fishermen too.

LNB: I will also check out the local fresh fish restaurants as I get to them. I've heard that they sometimes have cats in their tanks that the customers can order for their plate...It will therefore only cost you the price of the meal :d
VJ: Nice. Interesting source. Never would have thought.

LNB: Same thing for eels, I'll talk to the kids at the bridge - for a few bucks, they'll be nice to the fish.
VJ: what genus/species would these be? I had tropical eels in mind - you know your tire track, fire, black spotted, etc. (false) eels - these I know get big, 3-4 feet.

LNB: Lake Sturgeon are all over the place I hear but I may have to wait for them to be in season because I have no idea on that point - they also need a LONG swimming area - you may have to hook up some of your ponds to make a run!
VJ: If that's a big guy already, I'd need a new pond altogether as they need cool water. There goes my garage, I guess. Can Lake S. reach 9'? I thought these were relatively smallish kind of sturgeon, no more than 5'.

LNB: I have one pond that I don't keep any fish in yet so I can hold anything native I find in those until we can arrange an exchange.
VJ: see above: you are the best!

LNB: A lake sturgeon will only fit comfortably if it's still small, nine feet of fish is longer than my pond. He would jump out on the first run and be raccoon food by the morning. Same for anything like Silurus Glanis, a 16 foot fish wouldn't even fit in the truck and may eat me on the way home - try to hide one of those from border guards.
VJ: I am sure you are joking but if you can get those in half the sizes you quoted, I'd worship you for the rest of my life! yes, that is, if I make it back into the states...

LNB: "Excuse me m'am, have you anything in your oversize purse?"
"no."
"Well, it's looking at me from the hole it bit through the leather.."
:))
VJ: =)) =)) =))

LNB: The others I'll have to see what's available. My regular places don't sell hybrids as a rule but like many of us, they don't know every hybrid combination when they see it. I see RTC's once in a while, so I'll send you a pic if I find one
VJ: RTCs over 2' for sale? and I don't mean 2' and 1-2"...

LNB: I get first dibs on any Black Lancer I see!! You would get the next one - it's the only larger fish on my wish list. Ditto for a Jaguar cat and a Black Top Mouse. Mine, mine, all mine and one for you too.
VJ: yeah, I am with you.

LNB: As for the others, I'll print out your list and keep it with me just in case :-BD
VJ: see above

LNB: You'll have to PM me through here and I'll send you my email. If people post their emails here, we'd be spammed out of house and home.
PS, I realize your fish-list isn't necessarily something you'd be putting in your house tomorrow - my own wish-list includes jellyfish! Can you imagine the tank set-up I would have to make to keep the current going up without creating a vortex of some sort? I'm still buying lottery tickets when I remember so maybe someday...
VJ: what's the point in dreaming if you don't dream big, heh? or dream jelly, heh... ? or dream both, heh? are you thinking one of them open-ocean jellies with 200' tentacles?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

VJ: what's the point in dreaming if you don't dream big, heh? or dream jelly, heh... ? or dream both, heh? are you thinking one of them open-ocean jellies with 200' tentacles?
No, I want about a thousand of those tiny ones in a glass wall around my desk. I dream small but in multiples. It would also make a fabulous headboard but then I may never sleep.

Just looked up the eels ( Anguilla rostrata) and bummer for all of us, the American Eel/yellow eel is almost extinct - thanks to my ancestors eating them. ...Here's a quick look http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/SO ... LPAGE.html
There's lots of recovery programs going but I can't say how successful they've been. I can't believe it, I remember the kids on the bridge pulling them up by the netfull and trying to throw them into the girls' hair.

The sturgeons are Acipenser fulvescens and there seems to only be massive ones left in the lakes now. Smaller ones have been caught in rivers like Nation River near Ottawa. Looked them up too and I won't finding those any time soon, they were almost fished out because of their roe (and isinglass??!). The small guys in the rivers are illegal to catch.

Maybe we should hook you up with a muskie. Here's a picture/thread of one on Monsterfishkeepers.com:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=80928
Look quite sleek like some catfish but get big. They can be kept in a pond but it's gotta be big - they eat like pigs too.

We have pike here too and they're predator fish - long, sleek and very fast. Looks like some folks on MFK keep those too.
If I've got your location right, you should have those fish nearby.

Looked at the customs bit and I can send a live catfish as food in a box so I'm guessing there will be no problem bringing a 'food' catfish across a border since we have the same species just on two sides of the same lake. The people that eat lots of catfish must have hardworking lobbyists because they won't let me bring a dead and frozen small mouth bass (plentiful food fish) across even though we both have those species? Hmm. weird.

You want a big pond? Check out this website...http://www.pondboss.com/
Imagine flyfishing in your own yard! I don't fish myself but I wouldn't mind canoeing among the catfish.

Not kidding about S. Glanis, some of the pictures make them look like small Orcas!
Here's our species page:
Also look at question #2 on the FAQ - World's Largest Catfish.. There's also a link to one of Shane's articles about the Worlds Largest Catfish (PL)http://www.planetcatfish.com/general/ge ... d=441#a351

Just having the ability to feed that catfish properly would cost a fortune!
Have you thought of taking up scuba diving to get your giant fish fix? It may be cheaper in the long run. :))
And I'm sure I speak for your wife when I say that I'm glad you don't have a giant spider wish list. X_X
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

LNB: Just looked up the eels ( Anguilla rostrata) and bummer for all of us, the American Eel/yellow eel is almost extinct - thanks to my ancestors eating them. ...
VJ: :( another one...

LNB: The sturgeons are Acipenser fulvescens and there seems to only be massive ones left in the lakes now. Smaller ones have been caught in rivers like Nation River near Ottawa. Looked them up too and I won't finding those any time soon, they were almost fished out because of their roe (and isinglass??!). The small guys in the rivers are illegal to catch.
VJ: you were right, they are known to reach 270 cm or 9'. I'll need a chiller to keep one in FL.

LNB: Maybe we should hook you up with a muskie... We have pike here too...
VJ: yep, they are desired too but will need a chiller again...

LNB: Looked at the customs bit and I can send a live catfish as food in a box ...
VJ: you mean mail?

LNB: ...so I'm guessing there will be no problem bringing a 'food' catfish across a border since we have the same species just on two sides of the same lake. The people that eat lots of catfish must have hardworking lobbyists because they won't let me bring a dead and frozen small mouth bass (plentiful food fish) across even though we both have those species? Hmm. weird.
VJ: hairy stuff it'd appear...

LNB: You want a big pond? Check out this website...http://www.pondboss.com/
Imagine flyfishing in your own yard! I don't fish myself but I wouldn't mind canoeing among the catfish.
VJ: thanks but my next big goal to learn build pond-aquarium hybrids, i.e., ponds with a glass wall, kinda like your polar bear or sea lion zoo exhibits. Or like Arapaimag's little lake.

LNB: Not kidding about S. Glanis, some of the pictures make them look like small Orcas!
VJ: yep, dream of an idiot

LNB: There's also a link to one of Shane's articles about the Worlds Largest Catfish
VJ: yep, enjoyed re-reading it thoroughly

LNB: Just having the ability to feed that catfish properly would cost a fortune!
VJ: dry food is cheap ($20 for 50 lbs - just need to add different, supplemental stuff every now and then because this kind of fish chow is said to be a poor diet)

...and roadkill is even cheaper; I am looking for the sources of boatkill now :)

LNB: Have you thought of taking up scuba diving to get your giant fish fix? It may be cheaper in the long run.
VJ: Yeah but not the same. I have another problem too. Hoarding. The concept you appear vaguely familiar with...
L number Banana wrote:I get first dibs on any Black Lancer I see!! You would get the next one - it's the only larger fish on my wish list. Ditto for a Jaguar cat and a Black Top Mouse. Mine, mine, all mine and one for you too.
LNB: And I'm sure I speak for your wife when I say that I'm glad you don't have a giant spider wish list.
VJ: She is freaked out at the sight of a 0.1" ones... I am called to kill them from every nook of our house.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

LNB: And I'm sure I speak for your wife when I say that I'm glad you don't have a giant spider wish list.
VJ: She is freaked out at the sight of a 0.1" ones... I am called to kill them from every nook of our house.
It's not the size that matters, the heroics are all the same to spider-weary people. ^:)^

I just clued in that you were thinking of keeping the big fish in Florida! I was thinking your fish destination was in NY around the corner of the lake from me. Where would your 'little' fish go? NY or Florida?
LNB: Looked at the customs bit and I can send a live catfish as food in a box ...
VJ: you mean mail?
Yup, it seems 'food' rules are somewhat weird. Can't bring a pack of spam though.
... ponds with a glass wall,
That's my plans too! I think what I will have to do is build a step down from my deck and have "ground level" pond on the higher deck with the look-see part on the lower deck. A glass shop can tell you about the pressure you need for the volume of water. At that thickness, it seems plexiglass type stuff and tempered glass start to cost about the same. They make steel 'U' shaped pieces that you can slide the 'glass' into. Foam/silicon around the edges and bob's your uncle :YMPARTY: I'll set the steel into a cement form and build the frame like a hot tub frame for the other sides. I can get used bus shelter tempered from the city for cheap but I would have to put up with a blue line across the middle.

I have to seriously look at a three-sides black-out test aquarium to figure out which way will be the best viewing and also would a south-side window be too algae covered.

Things I'm also thinking about with that particular build: Do I install a light of some kind for special viewing evenings? What colour should I make the substrate etc, black rubber may end up being a little disappointing but at the same time something dark will probably make the fish more comfortable. Do I make the pond include solar tubes to keep the water warm enough when it's freezing temps or stick with a strong bubbler? The solar tubes would be initially cheaper to install. If I do all that should I make two glass sides and have one side viewable from the small basement window? Hmm.

Obviously I have some details to work out.

Good idea with the boatkill! I think restaurants would be a lovely source - nice and fresh. They must have lots of bits that people don't want to eat.

Hoarding? Me? I keep telling The Bigger Half that I'm saving on the cost of buying a humidifier :))
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi L#Banana,

What's with the avatar change?? From cute to sinister? From cudly to frightening? From fuzzy to don't-know-what-to-expect-from-that?

Sorry about a real late feedback. Two weeks of house-hunting in FL and the aftermath have taken their toll on my time and focus.

LNB: I just clued in that you were thinking of keeping the big fish in Florida! I was thinking your fish destination was in NY around the corner of the lake from me. Where would your 'little' fish go? NY or Florida?

VJ: We are moving to Naples, FL Mar 15, 2011. The Rochester house will be up for sale late spring. All fish will have to endure a 24-h ride after I prep a temporary home for them in Naples. We are starting our own business: Aquarium-Bot.-Garden type. Yeah, I know, talk about stupid...

LNB: ... ponds with a glass wall,
That's my plans too! I think what I will have to do is build a step down from my deck and have "ground level" pond on the higher deck with the look-see part on the lower deck. A glass shop can tell you about the pressure you need for the volume of water. At that thickness, it seems plexiglass type stuff and tempered glass start to cost about the same. They make steel 'U' shaped pieces that you can slide the 'glass' into. Foam/silicon around the edges and bob's your uncle :YMPARTY: I'll set the steel into a cement form and build the frame like a hot tub frame for the other sides. I can get used bus shelter tempered from the city for cheap but I would have to put up with a blue line across the middle.

VJ: sounds nice! Did you check u-tube? Lots of videos of final products like that but not much teach how to build them. BTW: I love the bus idea. I love anything unusual and anything that blows away people who do not expect.

LNB: I have to seriously look at a three-sides black-out test aquarium to figure out which way will be the best viewing and also would a south-side window be too algae covered.

Things I'm also thinking about with that particular build: Do I install a light of some kind for special viewing evenings? What colour should I make the substrate etc, black rubber may end up being a little disappointing but at the same time something dark will probably make the fish more comfortable. Do I make the pond include solar tubes to keep the water warm enough when it's freezing temps or stick with a strong bubbler? The solar tubes would be initially cheaper to install. If I do all that should I make two glass sides and have one side viewable from the small basement window? Hmm.

VJ: lighting is good. Have you been to public Aquaria recently? One can get lots of ideas from there. I love going to such, have been to most of them on the US east coast from NY to FL keys.

LNB: I keep telling The Bigger Half that I'm saving on the cost of buying a humidifier :))

VJ: it is only $100 and worth its weight in Aurum (gold). :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

L#Banana, you might wanna take a peek at this web site, found by Mats. It is beyond excellent and may assist in your thinking about pond+glass-window building.

http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_diy ... itres.html

[Mod edit: Fix link --Mats]
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
L number Banana

Hi Viktor :d
What's with the avatar change?? From cute to sinister? From cudly to frightening? From fuzzy to don't-know-what-to-expect-from-that?
Just giving my other cat some web time. She was in front of the pellet stove so that's why she looked so threatening. She's really the sucky one of the family o:-) I've changed it to Spooky again sitting in his normal flop-over-something position.

Anyway, long time no hear from. Lots going on here. The Bigger Half has been recovering from spine surgery and has moved to using a cane only occasionally so things are looking up and he seems to like that pond link you posted :-BD He may not be a fish-head like myself but he's getting all twitchy wanting to pick up his tools again. Looks like that sort of project will work nicely!
We are starting our own business: Aquarium-Bot.-Garden type. Yeah, I know, talk about stupid...
No! Not stupid at all! When the economy is down people tend to spend money on home based things and as the population is aging so the gardening sector is growing. Once people have planted ponds, they need the fish to complete the picture.

Can I offer a bit of advice? You probably already know all this but you can't hear this enough either:
Business plan - spend the time to do it and stick with it and modify only as needed.
Research the crap out of the services already there and find your niche.
Have business cards in wallet and purse always (I got caught out all the time and finally smartened up!)
Make friends with your banker!!! Big one, there's help for every aspect from business plan to financing.
Consult (free initial consultation) a small business lawyer for advice re insurance. Do that part before you open the doors.
Be sweet to your competitors, your product/service will speak for itself.
Knock on the door of every free business consultation place. We have an economic development bureau, a small business org, a business development bank etc. Press the flesh and go to every small business seminar/lunch etc you can find.
One more - play golf...pathetic but most of my quilting lessons come via the golf course. And I HATE golf.
I'm still running my wee business and it kept me afloat since June 1st when we became a one paycheque family (temporary, thank god). These boring old basic rules still work.
Serving you since 1993 :d Not rich but I can eat and I bought a house - so far so good.

I'm so excited for you!!
Will you be selling online wee orchids with the phytosanitary certificates included? If so, feel free to PM me. Florida is crack to a plant-aholic like me.

Glad to hear life is being good to you, cool. And don't forget to document the fish transport :d

I'm designing a fish transport unit for my motorbike. Something that I can plug into the battery like a hot suit but it has to be stable enough not to joggle the fish around. Will need to test it somehow. Don't want to sacrifice any poor little fish. Any ideas? I think a backpack would be the quietest for the fish but I really don't know if it will even be possible.
It may be that I'll time my little expeditions to coincide with the time the Bigger Half gets off work and call him in as the cavalry for the fish. Good in theory but that limits the rivers I can check out.

Hope you're all tucked in for the coming storm! Yikes, 14+ inches!!? I brought a shovel inside so I can at least get out the door when it gets here.

Return to “Speak Easy”