Rio Tapajos paludarium

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Leopardfrogplec
Location 2: Sandhurst
Interests: Catfishkeeping, reading, killing-virtual-people-in-random-waysing, definitely not SATS.

Rio Tapajos paludarium

Post by Leopardfrogplec »

My W/C L134s are arriving from the Rio Tapajos in 4 weeks :-BD and I want to set up a natural aquarium for them. I feel sorry for all W/C fish in Iwagumis and other unnatural aquascapes - I bet they hate it. But hopefully mine will be happy in their new home.
The paludarium would have a suitably-positioned internal heater & filter, and the filter's outlet would be extended with a pipe to create a waterfall, giving maximum oxygenation. A pump would provide extra water movement for the L134s and a shoal of Kitty tetras (Hyphessobrycon heliacus).
Water parameters would be: pH 6 to 7.4 (replicating natural conditions), ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate <15ppm, temperature 26 degrees C (fluctating between 24 and 28 degrees C in summer/winter).
Would this be OK for all livestock concerned? :text-feedback:

:text-thankyouyellow: - Olivia
There should be a GCSE for catfish. Or a SATs paper, which is closer to me. At least we don't have to do Science.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Re: Rio Tapajos paludarium

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I think the idea of a paludarium is a very neat one. :) Your filter idea sounds doable. You didn't mention any tank information and how many gallons of water it would actually hold. I have no experience with that tetra but looks like it could possibly pose a threat to fry.
-Trent
Leopardfrogplec
Interests: Catfishkeeping, reading, killing-virtual-people-in-random-waysing, definitely not SATS.

The tank is a Fluval Roma 90 holding almost 20 UK gallons / 24 US gallons. It's 60 x 35 x 40cm (23.5 x 12 x 16 inches).
There should be a GCSE for catfish. Or a SATs paper, which is closer to me. At least we don't have to do Science.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

I may be wrong but isn't it a rough guide/recommendation to give these (Hyp's,Peckoltia & similar) a square foot of substrate each to allow them to form adequate territories?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Leopardfrogplec

In the Cat-eLog it says a 12 inch square area per L134. That would be enough for 2 in my tank. I'm hoping to get a pair.
Leopardfrogplec

I was thinking of keeping a small group (maybe 5) of Corydoras panda with the L134s too. Would that be OK or would they fight? x( x( x( :(( (Edit: I think not because of different food sources, but just in case ...)

Return to “Tank Talk”