Help with L128 cause of death

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MarcW
I've donated: $152.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Help with L128 cause of death

Post by MarcW »

Hi,

I have previously lost an L128 due to me buying a fish which wasn't very well fed, I have since learnt my lesson and was a bit annoyed to discover one of my L128's dead over the weekend, it was 6 inches TL, and had been in the tank eating well for over 4 months. I will try to provide as much information as possible and a couple of pictures with the aim of determining what caused it's death.

Tank: Fluval Profile 1200 (325 litre, 120cm * 47cm * 65cm)
Filter: Fluval Fx5

Readings (taken 10 mins after removing the fish)
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
TDS: 288ppm
Temp: 26 degrees celcius

The tank and filter are mature and have both been running continuosly for 6 months +.

There are no signs of agression in the tank, I also have another L128 at 6 inches TL, and one 3.5 to 4 inch TL L128. The other fish are one adult clown plec, 6 C. sterbai, 4 Red line torpedo barbs, 4 Odessa barbs, 6 Zebra Danios, and two Siamese Flying Foxes/Algae eaters.

I recently lost two odessa barbs to what appeared to be dropsy, swollen abdomen, bent backs, and pine cone effect. Is it possible that this could have been something else with the same symptoms which could have been passed on to the L128? See picture one, for what looks like raised plates behind the pectoral fins of the L128.

I also noticed what looked like an ulcer on the lip and redness around the vent.

The only change I have made recently is to STOP adding easy carbo and nutrafin plant gro in small daily doses (below the recommended dose) as I ran out and was still not having much luck with the growth of my plants!

I make water changes weekly of almost 30% using dechlorinated tap water, and no other fish are showing signs of illness, if you require anything else please let me know.

Thanks for your help with identifying cause of death.

Marc
Attachments
DSC00683.JPG
DSC00679.JPG
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Help with L128 cause of death

Post by MatsP »

Belly looks a bit bloated to me, but that may be the photos rather than the actual fish... Not sure what would be cause of death if the belly is not bloated...

--
Mats
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Hi Mats, thanks for the reply. The belly was bloated when I found it dead, however the last time I saw it swimming around (24 hours ish before) it was flat from the chin to the vent, I guess the bloating was some sort of early decay?
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Sorry to hear that. I've had the same issues. Nothing changes in my 125 gallon and all of a sudden I would have one die. I lose 3 and eventually replaced them all, and haven't lost another one since (that was about 9 months ago now), but never did figure out the cause. No bloat, no hollow stomach. One day fine, next day dead. I recently lost 2 Baryancistrus demantoides the same way. No other problems in the tank.
Brengun
My images: 8
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Queensland, Australia

Post by Brengun »

Would prefer, lower nitrates, 10 or less, lower ph 7.2 or less.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Brengun wrote:Would prefer, lower nitrates, 10 or less, lower ph 7.2 or less.
Both of these would require RO water, as the nitrate level in the tap-water around here (I live about 15 miles/25km away) is pH 7.6 and nitrate between 30 and 40.

--
Mats
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Nitrates are an issue for me here due to the amount in the tap water. I don't have space to store water from an RO unit as I live in a flat. I do buy RO for my L134 tank as I am trying to breed them, however as that is only ~85 litres its not too bad spending a few pound a week for water changes.

I do have two other L128 in the tank, the young one (I suspect may have been tank bred in Europe maybe?) is doing especially well, brought at about 3 inches its now well over 4 inches in about 7-8 months the other wild caught 6 inch one is also doing well.

I did recently have a thought regarding the cause of death, it used to munch on an Anubias leaf near its hideout, it didn't have much algae on it and it chewed right through the middle of the leaf, I always thought these plants were unappealing to fish and possible mildly poisionus? Could that have caused it?

Thanks for your help
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
You can drastically reduce the amount of NO3 in your tap water if you use plants as a pre-filter, this can be a simple as a plastic storage box with a layer of Limnobium or Pistia on the top, an air pump for circulation and the box placed in a window. Water companies add phosphate to all our supplies (to control lead levels), but you may need a potassium source if plant growth is poor in 100% tap.

If you want something more productive Lettuces supported with polystyrene ceiling tile floats work. Fast growing plants in the tank will also help, again if they have access to atmospheric CO2, all the better. One of the best of all for this is Lemna minor (Common Duckweed).

Another option is rain-water, I live about 60 miles to the west of you (in Wiltshire) where our water is also unsuitable for soft water fish and I've always used rainwater without any problem.

cheers Darrel
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Rainwater is often a problem in a (rented) flat...

--
Mats
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Thanks for the suggestions, only today (arrived with the post) I have put some limnobium laevigatum in that tank. Will need to adjust the powerheads a bit as its being pushed around more than it probably should be!

Rain water would be an issue (good idea though) as there is a lack of drain pipes and I'm not sure I would trust the roof to be contaminant free.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”