Vellimalai

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Vellimalai

Post by Shovelnose »

Vellimalai is the core area of the Meghamalai mountain range (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghamalai) in the Southern Western Ghats. Vellimalai translated into Tamil means 'Silver Hill' (Velli=silver;malai=hill,mountain) probably in reference to the low hanging clouds making the mountain look silver from a distance. I had made a trip to Meghamalai earlier this year (http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 26&t=32529) and found the place blissfully isolated.

A contact from this region kept going on and on 'bout this mountain. Doesnt take long to convince me once you mention a hill stream. So a trip was planed. This time, with childhood friends (non hobbyists) as they were looking for a break and I had'nt done a big trip in a few months. They could relax and I could collect. Sounded perfect to me.

We reached the town of Bodi on Friday morning. Entering Vellimalai requires permission from the District Forest Officer. He turned out to be a very helpful guy. Spent almost the entire day there while he was lamenting on the aversion of the staff towards field trips.

It was 5pm by the time we reached the first spot, Suruli Falls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suruli_Falls).
We had to walk around 2 kms to reach the falls.

The view en route.

The falls. Quite a wimpy one considering the distance we had to walk.

I tried to collect downstream and landed a Puntius Sp. P.bimaculatus maybe. It started pouring at the moment. Had to abandon collecting here and headed back to the room.

I love the way the clouds roll over the hills sorta reminding you of a Roland Emmerich film.

The night was spent in the usual manner. Meat and alcohol. Green Label was the choice of the night. To hell with the Green Hornet.

Gives you no time to realise you are gonna stumble and fall. It usually is morning by the time realistion and the sun, both dawn upon you.

We left at around 7 the next morning towards Vellimalai.Its a three and a half hour drive to cover the 80 kms. The roads towards the end resembled tracks from the X Games. Luckily, we had hired a jeep. Managed to get through quite comfortably.

We managed to sight a good number of lion tailed macaque, peacocks and a Malabar giant squirrel.

The First Spot

The first spot yielded Schistura denisoni, Schistura cf semiarmatus, Barilius gatensis, Rasbora Sp. We sighted a beautiful orange Channa gachua but had formalities to complete with the check post. By the time we came back, twas gone.

This Schistura cf semiarmatus is really bothering me although it could ve been temporary blindness caused by the Green Label. I have collected this species from the Northern part of the Western Ghats too. Collected a similar looking species on my last trip to Meghamalai as well. These seem different to me. The body depth and the way the fins are inserted in the southern ones. Completely horizontally, almost like the members of Balitorinae. Maybe it is phenotypic plasticity. Or maybe I should stop rambling now.

Water was around 23-24 C. Rocks and pebbles made up most of the river bed.Vegetation was conifned to the banks but there was leaf litter found in the stream.

This entire region had been experiencing deficit rainfall recently and hence, the water levels were very low. Very slow flowing at points too.

The Second Spot.

The route to the spot.

Wild mangoes and guavas were everywhere.

Caught this on the way. Clinotarsus curtipes I think.

The spot.

The fauna here was the same. It was too difficult to go further upstream and the locals had warned us of the elephant and bear menace here. So we decided to stick to this spot.

Off topic : Are Glyptothorax known to be migratory??? If the stream is what I have been told it will be, it is a perfect habitat for these fish.

The Garra' s had a lovely red caudal. The colour has gone because of stress. Was as red as the caudal of the Epalzeorhynchos bicolor.

After a few hours of collecting and free pedicures for my friends courtesy of the Garra's, we decided to head back as we were starving.

There are around 40 people living around the peak of this mountain. No villages, no settlements nothing. No power,no water, NO ALCOHOL but plenty of meat courtesy the jungle.

Lunch was simple. Rasam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasam), rice and fried potatoes. It was heavenly given the weather and the conditions.

The kitchen.

Come night and we realised there was no water around to drink or for other uses. So we decied to drive out in search of the same at around 8:00 Pm.

A short video of the drive. We ran into a herd of Wild Buffaloes on the way. Gigantic, gargantuan, call 'em what you want but they ran like lily livered bandicoots when they saw the jeep.

Collecting water.

Packing water.

Loaded with water, we decided to sit outside and chat for a while. A few minutes later, there was a low growl from somewhere nearby. This kept repeating and we couldn see anything but the growls kept getting closer. I swear, our jumps would ve put Carl Lewis to shame.

The distance to the rooms ('bout 8 feet) was covered by leaping. Once inside, the locals told us that was likely a 'Sennai' (meaning Red Dog), probably referring to the South Indian Jackal (Canis aureus naria). A few minutes later, we heard an entire pack with pups and all outside. We were unable to sight 'em though.

No jackal could ve taken this way from us. I have been warned the finest connoisseurs of the world are after my head for keeping both Chivas and Green Label side by side.

The room where we stayed in had a damaged window. Part of it was carved out. A recent bear attack we were informed.
The fact that most of my friends snored HEAVILY didnt help the situation.

Woke up early to go for a walk outside.

Outside our room.

The 'house'.

Went collecting again before breakfast to build up an appetite. The same catch. But a few more fruits thrown in this time.

Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a sweet lime.First of all you force him to drop the sweet lime;then, second, you eat the sweet lime, thus disarming him.You have now rendered him 'elpless.

The mangoes were awesome. I like 'em sour though. A few bites and your facial expressions start to resemble that of Gobioids.

The spot.

Has been tentatively ID'ed as Garra hughi.

Schistura denisoni. A huge complex by itself.I have collected this species in almost all my trips. Yet to collect a loach with a nastier disposition.

Schistura semiarmatus

This is not the one I was rambling 'bout earlier. The one ones I am was referring to were found in smaller sizes.

Our vehicle.

The alleged road.

A few arachnids from the spot. Anyone good with spiders???

First species.

Second species.

Third species.

All of 'em were found around the stream and were quite comfortable in water too.

We badly missed out on sighting the Nilgiri Tahr (Nilgiritragus hylocrius). They are apparently sighted quite commonly around where we stayed but we were not that lucky.

First time I covered an entire trip with my bourgeois photo taking skills and I realised I am quite a biased photographer.I did not take any pics of the Barilius or the Rasbora's (Rupert's probably cursing me now). Will remember to click all the fish next trip onward.

We left the place around lunch time. I guess this place is worth a visit after the rains just to check if there are any Glyptothorax out here. Planning to do a trip alone end of this year. Wanna make sure it rains heavily before though.

Hope luck comes with the rains. To part with,

Sunset on the way.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Vellimalai

Post by Shane »

Outstanding post! The combination of photos and video really helps to capture the experience. I am not sure how many people noticed, but the June COTM http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php (put together so wonderfully by Jools) was the first one to go "multimedia."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Indeed, indeed. Excellent stuff.

Really enjoying reading these posts from India (fish and whiskey).

Hope for some catfishes next time!
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Shane wrote:Outstanding post! The combination of photos and video really helps to capture the experience. I am not sure how many people noticed, but the June COTM http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php (put together so wonderfully by Jools) was the first one to go "multimedia."
-Shane
Thanks Shane. Finally settling into using the camera often. So more videos and pics on future trips.

racoll wrote:Indeed, indeed. Excellent stuff.

Really enjoying reading these posts from India (fish and whiskey).

Hope for some catfishes next time!

Thanks Rupert. I guess the timing of the trip did me in this time. Didnt imagine an area in the Western Ghats would get deficit rainfall. Sounds outrageous as it rains continuously in the next state (Kerala), hardly a hundred kilometres away from this place. Even other mountains in this range are experiencing good rainfall currently.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Top post. I now regret not taking pictures of beer bottles for the aforementioned CotM.

It's great to hear it, now, next you have to catch some fish and introduce them to us in person! :-)

Jools
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Jools wrote:Top post. I now regret not taking pictures of beer bottles for the aforementioned CotM.

It's great to hear it, now, next you have to catch some fish and introduce them to us in person! :-)

Jools
Drop in and in addition to fish, you also get to face some of the weirdest named beer in the world. Canon 10000, High Voltage and Thunderbolt are just the start of it. But they do deliver what their name claims.
Balaji

Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Indeed. My favourite Indian beer name (if not beer) I have encountered so far is He Man 3000!

Look forward to these posts more and more!

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Jools wrote:My favourite Indian beer name (if not beer) I have encountered so far is He Man 3000!
I think it was called He-Man 9000.
And most concur that it's not much as a beer goes.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Envy, envy, envy! Shovelnose I'm starting to look for your post more and more. The new "crocodile hunter" of India? Nice stuff.

I hope conservation efforts remain strong in that area, as well as all of India. Perhaps you can do some presentations in conjunction with your "District Forest officer"?

You are lucky to live in such natural edens, such as they are. Look forward to your next post.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

And most concur that it's not much as a beer goes.
I can not vouch for He Man 9000 (I am willing to undertake the taste test) but that site is weak. Really 40 of the world's top 50 beers are imperial stouts from US microbreweries? 45 of the 50 worst beers in the world are from US large breweries? To show how off their ratings are, Nile Special (a tasty Ugandan brew) scored just above (1.75/5) He Man (1.57/5) as did Uganda's national beer Bell Lager (1.99/5).

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If I were voting for beers, the stouts would definitely be close to the top, but I do agree, it's clearly not representative of the overall world view. If you look at a particular category, the most voted ones have some 1000-2000 votes, and many have 10-100 votes - so it's probably a small number of members that have voted for many different beers.

And the brewery closest to where I live, the Hogs back Brewery haven't got enough votes to get displayed, and their "flagshp" T.E.A (Traditional English Ale - useful to say "I only drank tea for lunch sho I can't be drunk ociffer") isn't listed at all.

--
Mats
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

naturalart wrote:Envy, envy, envy! Shovelnose I'm starting to look for your post more and more. The new "crocodile hunter" of India? Nice stuff.

I hope conservation efforts remain strong in that area, as well as all of India. Perhaps you can do some presentations in conjunction with your "District Forest officer"?

You are lucky to live in such natural edens, such as they are. Look forward to your next post.
The 'New Alcohol Hunter' sounds more logical. :ymblushing:

I am lucky alright. Hopefully I am able to convince the DFO to allow such expeditions more often as they reveal what these habitats conceal otherwise.

Unfortunately, the latest news (as of today) says these habitats are being eaten away by domestic cattle and the like. No wonder leopards are having a ball here.

As to the beer ratings, I have a feeling the beer in south India packs more of a wallop than that of the north. Vorion 6000, Haywards 5000,Knock Out (You gotta love this name!!!) Bullet etc etc. I have tasted only a few north Indian beers though. Could be terribly wrong.

I am not a fan of lager beer at all. May the cheapest and the strongest survive!!!!
Balaji

Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

The loaches settling in well now.

Schistura semiarmatus

Schistura denisonii
Balaji

Return to “Travellers note book”