home made filters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

home made filters

Post by jscoggs27 »

Has anyone made their own filter system, I am lthinking about making a sump filter. Any ideas problems, experiences.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Home made filters

Post by coelacanth »

Sump filters are a great way to filter a tank. Assuming you have, or are planning to get, a drilled tank to take the overflow, just make sure that the sump is large enough and has enough 'freeboard' to take the drawdown volume when the pump is switched off.
It is a good excuse to get an aquarium custom-built to fit a space, rather than having to accept off-the-shelf dimensions.
There's no need to use huge pumps to return the water, I use a single Maxi-jet for anything up to 70 gallons and find this generates plenty enough flow under normal circumstances. The more water flowing through the system, the noisier it will be from the overflow. If you find you need more flow within the aquarium, just add subsidiary pumps with shielded intakes.
Pete.
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

Overflow with sumpfilter is great and it don't have to be noisy; see:
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpip ... _frame.htm

If you want to use a big pump in your sump then you have to remember to drill a big hole or multiple holes to handle the extra water.

-Klaus
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
I read an article about making some filters with water bottle and airstone in CIL but no other more evoluated type of filter!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “Tank Talk”