Suggested Food For My Ictalurus Punctatus (Channel Catfish)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
ItamaeChef
Location 1: USA

Suggested Food For My Ictalurus Punctatus (Channel Catfish)

Post by ItamaeChef »

I am looking into food alternative for my catfish. Currently he enjoys mid-sized feeder fish, frozen brine shrimp squares, and shrimp pellets.

Please help me expand the diet of my little friend. BTW, he's approximately 13" long and 6 years old. =)

ItamaeChef
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

They will eat anything! Try earthworms if you haven't already. Keep in mid that with large fish like that, you do not need to feed everyday. Every 3-4 days should be fine.

Rusty
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I would say lose the feeder fish (maybe that's what gave it the disease in the first place) and just go with cicklid sticks or some other compressed (pelleted) fish food (it would be good if you can get your hands on trout chow....my cats go crazy for it).
Use the frozen food as an occasional treat (I guess you can expand the variety and use frozen bloodworms, frozen krill or maybe even beefheart as well). For very special occasions, give it some live food like chopped earthworms.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

ANYTHING, channel cats are the ultimate pig. Try like other have said pellet food both carnivor and shrimp pellets will work. Frozen whole shrimp,fish meat,deffinately not feeders unless they are home grown. Just about any food i can think of will work. Just if you use worms make sure the soil they come from is clean and it would be a good idea to stop feeding him feeders as that is most likely where the disease came from like silirus said. If you decide to use pellets make sure to swithc out the kinds every now and then as well as giving some real food periodicaly like shrimp. Are you planning to get a bigger tank as he grows??? A largemouth bass or some other native species would be cool with him. Well good luck with the disease and all. Hows it going by the way?
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
ItamaeChef
Location 1: USA

My Sick Catfish

Post by ItamaeChef »

I will post an update under the original post.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
ItamaeChef

Return to “Other Catfishes”