Dwarf Cory confusion: Habrosus or Hastatus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
fishious
Location 2: Chicago

Dwarf Cory confusion: Habrosus or Hastatus?

Post by fishious »

We picked up these dwarf Corys, sold as C Hastatus

Getting them home and spending some time on the internets, they really look to me like C Habrosus, with the black splotches on the flanks. We figured the store had them mislabeled, but I recently saw the exact same cory at a different shop, and they're also labelled as hastatus. So, either my ID is incorrect, or multiple stores are calling habrosus hastatus. Anyone with more experience care to chime in? We're going to be buying more of these, and don't really need to know their true ID, but I am curious.
IMG_20131219_055216_804.jpg
IMG_20131218_194054_925.jpg
IMG_20131205_071933_782.jpg
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dwarf Cory confusion: Habrosus or Hastatus?

Post by Silurus »

You are right. These are .
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

I am in Indiana by Chicago and I have seen the same thing. The wholesalers usually just calls them whatever their supplier calls them.
fishious
Location 2: Chicago

Post by fishious »

Thanks for the info. It didn't really matter what they are, as they're hilarious and we like them a lot.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw this, your idea seems sound that a wholesaler sell sheet is the likely origin of the name discrepancy. the stores with Habrosus ID'd as Hastatus are New Fish in Chicago and Aquarium Adventure (Schaumburg?) Hilariously, I think that Old Town Aquarium has Hastatus tagged as Habrosus.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I think that Old Town Aquarium has hastatus tagged as habrosus.
If they are , rather than they are a good find, because C. hastatus is difficult to find. We tend to have the other problem in the UK, the label says "hastatus", but the fish is always .

cheers Darrel
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

The misidentification problem of habrosus and pygmaeus being called hastatus seems so universal that I think it must be originating with the exporters in South America.
Ask not...
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

syno321 wrote:The misidentification problem of habrosus and pygmaeus being called hastatus seems so universal that I think it must be originating with the exporters in South America.
don't think so. They are hardly mixed up overhere (Holland : Europe). Hastatus is quite rare overhere BTW.
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

[quote="CoryfanAad"][quote="syno321"]The misidentification problem of habrosus and pygmaeus being called hastatus seems so universal that I think it must be originating with the exporters in South America.[/quote] don't think so. They are hardly mixed up overhere (Holland : Europe). Hastatus is quite rare overhere BTW.[/quote]

I've seem many SA exporter's lists over the years and invariably when you order hastatus you get pygmaeus. I guess it just happens in Britain and North America.
Ask not...
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

They are not accidentally mixed, exporters deliberately call all three species C. hastatus, because they command a better price and sell better. The trouble then occurs with some store keepers continuing with the error, and will often say "that's what they came as so they must be that fish".

Ian

Return to “What is my catfish?”