Tridensimilis ID please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
pose1don
Location 2: Bolton UK

Tridensimilis ID please

Post by pose1don »

Can someone correctly ID this for me please, I'm not sure if it is T brevis or not thanks :)

Image[/URL]
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tridensimilis ID please

Post by Silurus »

FWIW, there is no such name as Tridensimilis nemurus.

There are only two species known, of which one (T. venezuelae) is very unlikely to be encountered in the trade.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Never seen these exported. They die when captured in the wild if exposed to atmospheric O2.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

As I'm unable to see the difference(-s) between T. brevis and T. venezuelae, I prefer to think this is T. brevis.
Kept these on two separate occasions as individual and both times found them as bycatch in a shipment of Corydoras pygmaeus.
Both brevis did well for some time and then suddenly simply disappeared without any trace. Mind you, they do nip/bite larger fishes, but smaller ones seem safe.
pose1don

Post by pose1don »

Silurus wrote:FWIW, there is no such name as Tridensimilis nemurus.

There are only two species known, of which one (T. venezuelae) is very unlikely to be encountered in the trade.
T nemurus was the name given by the LFS guy who pulled it from the Burgees Atlas of freshwater and marine catfish :)
pose1don

Post by pose1don »

Marc van Arc wrote:As I'm unable to see the difference(-s) between T. brevis and T. venezuelae, I prefer to think this is T. brevis.
Kept these on two separate occasions as individual and both times found them as bycatch in a shipment of Corydoras pygmaeus.
Both brevis did well for some time and then suddenly simply disappeared without any trace. Mind you, they do nip/bite larger fishes, but smaller ones seem safe.
I separated it from the main tank as it seemed to be trying to bite the CPS's and pygmy cories, as you say this one too came in with a shipment of Corydoras pygmaeus. I've tried to feed it micro worms, earthworms, flake, but it doesn't seem to be taking anything :(
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

pose1don wrote:T nemurus was the name given by the LFS guy who pulled it from the Burgees Atlas of freshwater and marine catfish :)
It is indeed listed as such in the atlas photo section but that's a mistake. If you looked at the checklist on p325, it's not mentioned. This is almost certainly the Amazon (as opposed to Maracaibo) species, .

Jools
pose1don

Post by pose1don »

Jools wrote:
pose1don wrote:T nemurus was the name given by the LFS guy who pulled it from the Burgees Atlas of freshwater and marine catfish :)
It is indeed listed as such in the atlas photo section but that's a mistake. If you looked at the checklist on p325, it's not mentioned. This is almost certainly the Amazon (as opposed to Maracaibo) species, .

Jools
I guess thats why I cant find any info on nemurus then :)) , the corys where wild caught from peru. The thing that was confusing me was that some pictures show the dark marking near the base of the tail and some don't, I didn't know if this was down to different species or just the pictures not showing it. So brevis it is then, I just need to find out how to get it feed before it starves to death now.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I kept these things alive with live bloodworm.
pose1don

Post by pose1don »

I'll return it to the shop then as I cant get a constant supply of bloodworms, and as it hitched its way in and I didnt buy it I dont want to go to the trouble of trying to culture my own blood worm.

Interesting little fish though and was nice to have it for a while :)

I'll pass on the info to the shop ;)
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

BBS is eagerly accepted also. Nano tank with just these would be quite appealing IMO, but they come in so infrequently it could be years to get a group together.

Return to “What is my catfish?”