Gibby with Natives

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Gibby with Natives

Post by Divemaster »

How low temperature wise can you keep a Gibbiceps and still keep it healthy? I'm alright if it slows down and doesn't eat as much as long as it's still healthy and comfortable with its environment. I'm asking because the 240-300 gallon tank I'm getting soon is going to house my gibbiceps and all the other fish will be US natives such as Sunfish, Drum, Bass, Bullheads, Suckers, etc. I'd like to let it go down to 64-65 F in the winter and 72-73 F in the summer but whether or not the pleco can take it that low I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Re: Gibby with Natives

Post by Divemaster »

Anybody? Also due to current finances the tank will be more like 180-240 gallons instead of 240 which means the temp may fluctuate a bit more but it still shouldn't make much of a difference with a tank that large.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Gibby with Natives

Post by Bas Pels »

As a gibby can grow - mine did - to some 45 cm if I include the tail fin, a 1000 liters tank will be around the smallest tank one should use

With regard to the temperature, I once found out mine were kept for a month @ 19 C

If temperature is a big issu, why don't you try keeping Southern species instead? They are imported
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”