Tough catfish (& Endlers)

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Tough catfish (& Endlers)

Post by NCE12940 »

Maybe it’s hybrid vigor? Just went through a power out from 4 p.m. ‘til 9:30 p.m. the next day, 5 tanks (45g, 10g, 14g, 2 - 8.7gs). My house is total electric so all I had was water, no help at all. I do have battery-powered air pumps but they’re pretty weak for the 45g (tall tank).
Temperatures outside in the 20s to 39 (F) yesterday, wind-chill in the teens or less. The 39-deg day had west winds up to 30 mph. Ice / sleet/ snow storm. My house faces north and all the tanks are in north-facing rooms, 2 being on a north wall.
At any rate I wrapped all the tanks in blankets and hoped for the best. I know the 45g was around 64 deg. F; I was afraid to look at the smaller tanks. I’d guess they were at least 60 deg. F, if not lower.
After the power came back on last night I put an extra heater in the 45g and kept all the tanks wrapped. This morning everybody’s alive and eating, including 7 tiny Endlers and 2 Medusas. I just hope this doesn’t happen again! (I’m sure the fish feel the same way.) X_X
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Re: Tough catfish (& Endlers)

Post by jodilynn »

We paid for a whole house generator (admittedly not for my fishtanks lol) and man I am telling you it was about 5k but it was SO worth it.

We live in a very rural area and we'd lose power for DAYS. It's not even an option not to have power, especially seeing as the wind chills are running -20 below 0 right now.

May be something you want to look into?
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Re: Tough catfish (& Endlers)

Post by NCE12940 »

Yep, I'm going to have to see about a generator. Luckily my house is very small! (I live in the country as well.) Our temps aren't as bad as yours but we don't usually have *winter* all winter long. This year's proving to be an exception. I remember one New Year's Day when it was 90 deg.

I did lose one Endler but all the catfish remain happy and healthy, and piggy as usual. I now wrap all the tanks at night just in case!

Return to “Speak Easy”