cory identification

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Vladimir
Location 2: Holland

cory identification

Post by Vladimir »

Hi,

last week I bought 14 corydoras. They should be corydoras elegans. I made some pics of them. Are they really elegans? 3 of them seems to be another species, probably rabauti?

Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Re: cory identification

Post by Nabobmob1 »

They are all elegans types.... Unfortunately this type seems to be coming in as a mixed bag quite often. And to make matters worse, I'm 90% confident one of Florida farms is creating and distributing elegans type hybrids. I'll let someone who has more experience with the elegans types toss out species ideas.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

all corys definitely belong to the elegans group.
The one that looks like C. rabauti is a form that you can find in the region around Letitia (Colombia), I caught some of these together with C. rabauti (mimicry pair). Also around Iquitos you can find forms with females looking similar but those usually have additional patterns on top (similar to the first one).
The other corys seem to be different ones. In the last pic this could be CW008 whereas the first one reminds me of forms that you can find around Iquitos(but it's no perfect match). I think hybrids are definitely also a possibility...

Cheers,
Karsten
--

Karsten
Vladimir
Location 2: Holland

Post by Vladimir »

Thanks!
rmc
My cats species list: 54 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My BLogs: 21 (i:23, p:909)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: Milwaukee, USA

Post by rmc »

Just a matter of opinion here (I can't see the top of the fish in the picture so I can't say this with 100% certainty), but Karsten, is it possible the fish you believe to be CW008 could be C041? I have both of these sp. which are very similar, and to my eyes the line going across the top of the body appears slightly higher than in CW008, and it doesn't appear to end in the shoulder, but seems to continue over the top of the fish, with both lines meeting behind the head as in C041.
In addition I have female C.elegans imported from Brazil (where I believe C041 is also from) that look just like the "rabauti-looking" fish in the pictures. Thoughts anyone?

Best wishes,

Rob

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”