Sump Corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
carrotsdbunny
Location 1: West Coast
Location 2: US

Sump Corys

Post by carrotsdbunny »

What do you think about keeping fish (in this case, corydoras aeneus) in a small space, that is part of a larger system of water? So, water quality isn't really an issue, just actual physical space.

Here's the background. I have about some cory fry hanging out in grow tanks right now, that will eventually need to go somewhere. Some may get reunited with their parents in a planted 75g, which has been housing 5 adult corydoras and 1 adult synodontis eupterus for a couple of years. It's filtered by a fluval 406. Any thoughts how many corys I should add, once they get big enough not to be tempting to the syno?

A few of the remainder I'm thinking of putting in the sump of my 110g, which houses a couple of shubunkins. I've got an empty chamber in my 34g sump, roughly 12"x9". The chamber is much smaller than a 10g but will always have stable water parameters since it is connected to the 110g. Can I stick some corydoras fry down there? it's basically a mini river system, is there any worries about the current being too strong? The chamber entry and exit is covered with sponges so I'm not worried about any fish getting to the return pump. How many adults could reasonably live down there?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Re: Sump Corys

Post by Corycory »

I wouldn't worry about the current at all as long as some food stays at the bottom and doesn't float all around the place, and as you say the water quality will be fine.
However, in my experience corys are really skittish in a small tank. When I kept some in a 15G tank, they were really stressing out if I approached, even to feed. And were a lot more "nervous". But for growing cory fry it would be great.
Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Post by Nabobmob1 »

Have you considered adding the whole lot to the 75g? I'm not sure what your stock levels are like but the larger the tank and group the more impressive it is. Corys are a very social fish and the bigger the group the more active they will be.
carrotsdbunny
Location 1: West Coast
Location 2: US

Post by carrotsdbunny »

Have you considered adding the whole lot to the 75g? I'm not sure what your stock levels are like but the larger the tank and group the more impressive it is. Corys are a very social fish and the bigger the group the more active they will be.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the idea. The syno leaves the adult corys alone, but would eagerly gobble up any eggs or fry. As they get adult sized I could transfer them to the 75g though.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”