unplanned Ancistrus False L144 babies please help!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
macdoyle
Location 1: South East England
Location 2: Hampshire

unplanned Ancistrus False L144 babies please help!

Post by macdoyle »

I bought two of these around 6 months ago, they were very small and sex was not clear when I bought them. One of them has rapidly grown and is now about 10cm and I clearly have a breeding pair as there are about 6 visible fry, maybe more.

I haven't seen the male for about 5/6 days, he has been under a sort of driftwood and rock cave with the fry. They are quite well concealed but the ones I can see appear to be about 4mm in length.

Tank is at 22 degrees cent., Ph around 7-7.2, 80 litres with small pebble substrate and, as mentioned, there is a large piece of driftwood and a rock as well as a few plants. Tank mates are 3 golden barbs, 1 zebra danio and 2 aquatic african frogs.

I just really have no clue, not kept these before and did not expect them to breed. I'm worried to do a water change or vacuum the substrate as I don't want to disturb them. I know they will need to come out of the tank at some point as it's not big enough for them all so when is the best time to do this? If they survive that is.

Many thanks, all help greatly received!
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: unplanned Ancistrus False L144 babies please help!

Post by vanillarum »

Congrats. The fry may not survive due to your other inhabitants, but I would do 2 things. Get a cave for the father - maybe the fry will follow him in and be safe. The other thing is to take an empty plastic water bottle, cut the top third off. Insert the top third, top first, into the bottle. Put some food into it, and anchor it to the bottom of the tank near where the fry are now. The fry should swim in and will be unable to escape. They will be unharmed. Then you can remove the plastic bottle from the tank. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
macdoyle
Location 1: South East England
Location 2: Hampshire

Re: unplanned Ancistrus False L144 babies please help!

Post by macdoyle »

Many thanks, I'll try the water bottle thing.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”