The South-American Knifefishes thread

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
drago
Location 2: Poland

Re: The South-American Knifefishes thread

Post by drago »

Marc van Arc wrote:There is not very much information on this group, which is scientifically known as Gymnotiformes. According to Silurus (HH), only one book on them has ever been published (Electric Fishes of the Continental Waters of America, Mago-Leccia, 1994). Googling for images of S-Am Knifefishes results in an abundance of pictures, including Asian and African knifefishes as well as several mormyrids......

I have found that quite some people here are interested in S-Am Knifefishes, but that there are lots of questions about all kinds of subjects wrt these fishes.
Therefore it may be an idea to gather all questions, (possible) answers and experiences (good and bad) in this thread, so they all sit in one place.

I will add some information myself shortly. Feel free to join in. Your opinion may be very useful/valuable to a fellow aquarist.
Awesome subject, i love all the peculiarities and nożowce and mruki are ranked at the podium. however, i don't know english, and not everything what suits i understand. therefore, i don't know what possible advice i could write because each species requires a separate describe. fall here in the composition, behaviour, feeding, aranżacja tank and others. i had a few species, however, these the most interesting are still beyond my reach, or the availability or price preclude.
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Here's 2 specimens of Brachyhypopoma, from Leticia.
Ive had both specimens for about 3 weeks, both are eating well. The larger specimen is approx 15cm and quite chunky.
image.jpg
image.jpg
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

My newest acquisitions b-)

Zebra Knife... Always wanted one of these!

Thermometer knifes (I have 4), these are delicate so the battle is on to find the right foods that they like, get them feeding well and fattened up.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Speak Easy”