Pseudacanthicus L065

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Pseudacanthicus L065

Post by Easy »

I've been looking for info concerning this L-number for I've seen so many variations of this pleco. Most L065s I've seen pale in comparison to the one posted on the Cat-eLog, which is a very stunning variation (First pic of L065 I've seen).

I emailed the Pineapple Club for more info...and they sent me 3 pics...which kinda surprised me :shock:

Hi Easy!

Thank you for your mail.

Other L065 (they called "White Spot Acari." in Japan.) photos are following,

http://keruzou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/jpg/pw01.jpg
http://keruzou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/jpg/pw02.jpg
http://keruzou.hp.infoseek.co.jp/jpg/pw03.jpg

pw01.jpg is "Adult"fish, pw02.jpg and pw03.jpg are "Juvenile" fish.

As for grown-up them, the whole of the characteristic pattern will
disappear.

Best Regards,

keruzou

Geez...such a shame they'd lose their color and pattern... :(
Last edited by Easy on 24 Jan 2003, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

That IS interesting. Pseudacanthicus are to my mind the most interesting of all the different Loricariid genera I've kept (can't speak for Lori genera I have no personal experience with!). Apart from P. leopardus, which is reasonably common here in the US, and L24-25 and M. gigas, which I see occasionally, haven't seen many other species. I guess they must all go to Japan and Germany! Do you see any in the Philippines?

Dramatic differences in appearance between juveniles and adults are common in many catfish spp., but if they occur in other Loricariids, I'm not aware of it. Anyone who can educate me on other examples? In all the Synodontis examples that come to mind, as in this example of L 65 cited by Easy, the juveniles are more colorful than the adults. Any counterexamples?

I also wonder what selection pressure would cause juveniles to look more colorful than adults? I can imagine reproductive competition making adults more colorful than juveniles, but why the other way around? Camouflaged for a different habitat? Again, I would think juveniles would be more vulnerable with bright coloration.

Dinyar

BTW, if I may ask, what's your name, Easy?
Caol_ila
My images: 51
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

@dinyar i remeber reading in the SEIDEL/EVERS Welsatlas that some of the big species dont have the same habitats for juveniles and adults...so this just might be the reason for the different coloration...jumping to other animals deer are nicely patterned when juv but mostly monocolored when adult...im on the jump so i cant look the habitat thing up!
take care
cheers
Christian
Easy

Post by Easy »

Apart from P. leopardus, which is reasonably common here in the US, and L24-25 and M. gigas, which I see occasionally, haven't seen many other species. I guess they must all go to Japan and Germany! Do you see any in the Philippines?

Unfortunately for us here who have a passion for plecos, the Philippines is not a target-market for the L-numbers.

I've seen some 24s, 25s, 160s, 273s and a couple of 65s...most of which I believe were only acquired during a stopover by exporters/importers.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Dinyar wrote:Again, I would think juveniles would be more vulnerable with bright coloration.
What appears to be bright coloration to us can actually be very efficient disruptive patterning when seen under water. As they grow, they may have few natural predators (who's going to take on an 18 inch Pseudacanth?!) and so no longer have any need for protection. As adults they may not need patterning for intraspecific communication, as sound and pheromones may do everything needed.

Also, as big Loricariids are so aggressive, it could be a way of avoiding conflict with adult fish (as happens with marine Pomacanthids) by looking different.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 271
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
Well Loricariidae are very variable with their colour pattern. In most genus and species, several individual present a different colour pattern that most of the other.
It seem that the Acanthicus group seem to more inclined to such change.
there are change among adult and also toward individual!
Like Caol say younger and older fish of the Acanthicus group seem to use different biotop. It has been verified with Pseudacanthicus leopardus and with Acanthicus adonis and Acanthicus histrix.
This could very well explain why younger have different colour shape than the adult.
You can also explain it because of the caracter of the member of the Acanthicus group, these are highly territorail and agressive towards conspecific and a bit less toward the other. To avoid the younger being harassed by the older one a colour change could well be the solution!
Cheers
Yann[/i]
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
plecoman
Location 1: Hong Kong

Post by plecoman »

I have heard many say trhat if you feed Pseudos too much food, they will grow too fast anf fat. Growing too fast will result to loosing the patterns. If the pleco is feed as much as they should be so they grow slowly, or you can say normally, the patterns will remain. This applies to L-273, L-282, L-65, L-185, L-97.... The same aslo goes for L-204 actually......
My favourite number is ............ L-number!!!
Easy

Post by Easy »

I do have doubts of Pseudas losing all their patterns entirely if fed too much...perhaps just the breaking of patterns and some dullness in colouration...but not a VERY dramatic change.
TKP

Post by TKP »

This is my L065(5cm) photo at one year before:
now she is 12cm long:
most of the Pseudacanthicus(like L97,L65,L185....)will lost their patterns when growing up. Maybe the male can keep the patterns better the female? anybody know?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yes, in many Pseudacanthicus the males are "prettier". L273 is a great example. It took us a long time to work this out as all the stuning males were sold to Japan and for a while only the duller fish were available in the UK. Now that the price has dropped a bit we see both and even at a youngish age (maybe 3" TL) the females get duller.

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”