New Chaetostoma

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Chaetostoma

Post by Silurus »

Ballen, G, A Urbano-Bonilla & JA Maldonado-Ocampo, 2016. Description of a new species of the genus Chaetostoma from the Orinoco River drainage with comments on Chaetostoma milesi Fowler, 1941 (Siluriformes: Loricariidae). Zootaxa 4105: 181–197.

Abstract

Chaetostoma joropo n. sp. is described from the piedmont of the Orinoco River drainage in Colombia. The new species has been long confused with Chaetostoma milesi, a species with similar overall morphology and color pattern that is restricted to the Magdalena-Cauca River Basin. We diagnose the new species on the basis of morphology as well as a precise description of the color pattern. Chaetostoma joropo n. sp. is also easily distinguished from C. formosae the most similar species and other species inhabiting the Orinoco River drainage in Colombia. Data on ontogenetic variation and sexual dimorphism are provided, as well as natural history notes and remarks on the usage of the name Chaetostoma milesi for specimens from both the Orinoco and Magdalena-Cauca drainages. A discussion on the usage of the name Chaetostoma platyrhynchus is also provided given its current instability in the literature.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: New Chaetostoma

Post by Jools »

Could I have a copy if possible please HH. I am pretty sure @Shane will be really interested in this one too.

Cheers

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Pdf sent. This looks like a more heavily spotted version of .
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 88
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

I would love a copy as well, please.

cheers, Daniel
Daniel
mmccannon
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Budapest
Location 2: Hungary

Post by mmccannon »

Now I am not sure that the fish I once purchased as C. milesi is not in fact C. joropo.
Although I have been visiting this Website for many years, as a member, I am new, hence have no idea, how to post images of my fish.
Please kindly share the know-how with me.

I would love to read your ideas of the ID of my fish.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

mmccannon wrote:Now I am not sure that the fish I once purchased as C. milesi is not in fact C. joropo.
Although I have been visiting this Website for many years, as a member, I am new, hence have no idea, how to post images of my fish.
Please kindly share the know-how with me.

I would love to read your ideas of the ID of my fish.
Hi mmccannon,

First, now that you've joined, welcome to PlanetCatfish. If you would like to know how to upload photos, there are several ways to do it (photos of your fish, photos of your aquaria, or any photos added to a forum post). The process is described here: Photos.

It sounds like you'd like to post your fish pictures to a forum thread for people to reply with comments and feedback about the ID of your fish. For simplicity, I will quote from the link above:
...if you'd like to show off several photos ... of your fish at the same time, then go to the ... discussion forum and start a new topic. Name the topic whatever you want ... then tell us anything you want to share. When you're finished typing, click the "Attachments" tab underneath the topic editing window and click the "Add files" link to attach your photos to your post. (photo 4)
Photo 4
Photo 4
One warning: When you attach images to a forum post, the attachments will appear in the reverse order to which you originally attached them.
The fish you owned were almost certainly C. joropo (or something like it). For years they have appeared in local fish stores as C. milesi or C. cf. milesi, but real C. milesi do not closely resemble these fish and real C. milesi come from a different region of the country (west of the Andes, whereas your fish are most likely from the Eastern slopes of the Andes).

When you are ready, please do share pictures of your fish and your tanks. It would be nice to see what you have.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

For some reason, I thought I replied to this thread months ago, but it appears not!

MartinS gave me a Chaetostoma specimen almost 5 years ago, that is still alive and kicking, sharing a tanks with my Steatocranus casuarius adults/teens; 2 Chaetostoma cf. aff. milesi; 1 C. dorsale; 1 C. formosae; the last remaining two Beckford Pencilfish. This specimen, to my amateur eye, never matched up to anything listed on PlanetCatfish until Chaetostoma joropo was announced in this thread.

I took this awful photo the day this thread was posted...
Image (I cannot get my shared Google photos to embed in any forums, right-click and open in new tab to see horrid quality pic)

https://goo.gl/photos/qqMNeuR6ugvoKKxP9 (think it makes a brief appearnace at ~7 seconds on left bogwood)

I will endeavour to get something much better, it is very similar to the photo, with very uniform circular spotting over the whole upper body surface.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”