How to mix RTC ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jim2y
Location 1: Indonesia
Interests: Keeping fish

How to mix RTC ?

Post by jim2y »

Hiiii...... I am going to mix my RTC with other large fish, my RTC is little aggressive with other fish
I have a plan to mix my RTC with some oscars or pacus or peacock basses. Which of these fishes are suitable for my RTC ?
Now my RTC is mixing with three red bellied piranhas 8 inches and they are always attacked especially at night so i want to move my piranhas and buy some new fishes which can defend from my RTC attack. Please do you have any ideas?
mitch
Location 1: London/Kent, England

How to mix RTC

Post by mitch »

I have an interest this :?: as well, in fact it was going to be my next post but you beat me to it!! :x :x

So come on people, as much as i agree with most people that these fish shouldn't be kept in tanks because of the size they grow to. But there are some of us that have bought them knowing exactly how big they get and what size tank you will end up needing and are prepared to go the distance!!!!!
But i refuse to belive that, although they are impresive enough in a tank on there own, that is the only way to keep them. So come on and surguest your recomed tank mates whatever they are.

________________________________________________________________________________

Pacu's are ok, oscars and cichlid of the same size are fine for a while, util the RTC grows.
As for the peacock, i mentioned before that mine was 13" and was eatern by my 20" RTC, although my red devil is smaller and seams fine at the moment!
Black sharks are ok because they have a very nasty nip on them and as they are is being swallowed all he has to do is use that nip and he get spat out.
Have seen them with Arowanas quite a lot.
I have been told to try Dovii's, dunno if that would work, :? possible.

The best i have seen, was a few large 50"+ RTC's with pacu's, niger cats, girraffe cats, terrorpins (turtle in the us?) and very large tin foil barbs. When i asked how this was possible, i was told that adult RTC's arnt as quick as they are when smaller so the tin foils are fine. Cant say that i would try it though. As for the terrorpins, good idea! :D
Opps, i forgot, there was a baby croc as well.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I would have suggested , except I hear they're getting scarce lately. may be another more readily available option, though.
jim2y

Post by jim2y »

thanks for your suggestion but i collect Amazon river fish (South America large fish)
Do you know doradid catfish? Has this catfish been imported to my country (Indonesia)? I have never seen this catfish in fish market here except in public aquaria.
Are there any alligator gars which come from amazon river? I read some articles about gars and all of them come from florida or Mexico.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

You will need an immense tank already for that RTC, but perhaps a similar sized Pseudodoras niger or Megalodoras uranoscopus will do??
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
katfishguy
Location 1: Miami, FL

Post by katfishguy »

here is one of my tanks,, may be you can get some ideas:

these are currently in a 360gal tank that is 6' long and 4' wide,,

Anyone who wants to flame/warn me about the potential size of these fish,, please keep it to yourself,, I am very much aware of the size and requirements of these fish !!!
<b>http://www.rarecatfish.net</b>
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

giants

Post by oneoddfish »

those are some awsome fish !!I don't see any thing wrong with keeping the BIG BOYS if your willing and able to properly house them!!
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
jim2y

Post by jim2y »

Wow.... Those are wonderful catfishes I like the big spotted one
I have ever combined my RTC with tigercatfish and my RTC bite my tigercatfish's fin
but your catfishes are in harmony i think. I think my RTC has a bad tempered
jim2y

Post by jim2y »

hiii guys i have just bought a new tank for my fishes it's made from fibreglass
its size is 2m (long) 1m (wide) and 0,6m (high)
I want to fill my new tank with a redtailcatfish and two pacus do you think it is big enough for them?

I also have an aquarium its size is 1,75m (long) 0,6m (wide) and 0.6 (high) and i want to fill this aquarium with a pair of peacock bass and a silver arowana do you think it's big enough too for them?
Please your opinion, thank!
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

jim2y wrote:hiii guys i have just bought a new tank for my fishes it's made from fibreglass
its size is 2m (long) 1m (wide) and 0,6m (high)
I want to fill my new tank with a redtailcatfish and two pacus do you think it is big enough for them?
Not even close. Think in terms of something five times the volume of this tank.
jim2y wrote:I also have an aquarium its size is 1,75m (long) 0,6m (wide) and 0.6 (high) and i want to fill this aquarium with a pair of peacock bass and a silver arowana do you think it's big enough too for them?
Please your opinion, thank!
I would not house anything longer than 40cm in an aquarium of this size.
An adult Arowana should reach at least 1 metre. With this in mind they should not be housed in anything less than 5 metres long, and at least 1.5 metres in the other dimensions.
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Hey, in that first picture there is a fish with kind of a duckbilled-platypus-type mouth. (It's the second fish from the left.) What kind of fish is that? There are some similar-looking ones at my lfs, but I can't remember the name of them and now I'm curious as to if they are the same ones or not.
Line up!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What kind of fish is that?
jim2y

Post by jim2y »

But i think there are rarely fishes which can reach the real size in captivity. For example a silver arowana may reach only about 75 cm in captivity so do the catfishes, right?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

oh, no, that's not true.

The whole trick is proper care and a zoo-sized tank and they definitely WILL reach lengths very close to the wild.

A cichlid-shop housed two Phractocephalus for years in a 3000+ liter tank for at least 2 decades, and they passed the three-foot mark years and years ago.

Mind, except for some tiny Malawian cichlids (escaped fry from leftover-feederfish) there were no other fish in there, so they had that tank to themselves.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

jim2y wrote:But i think there are rarely fishes which can reach the real size in captivity. For example a silver arowana may reach only about 75 cm in captivity so do the catfishes, right?
Only if they receive substandard husbandry. Fish can be stunted by poor care, so can children. Neither is acceptable.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Yeah, Sorubimichthys make great aquarium fish. My friend Felipe found that he can keep all of his giant cats together as long as the temperature is kept below 32F. Too bad we have such a hard time getting wels and Pangasianodon down here.
-Shane

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Shane wrote:Yeah, Sorubimichthys make great aquarium fish. My friend Felipe found that he can keep all of his giant cats together as long as the temperature is kept below 32F. Too bad we have such a hard time getting wels and Pangasianodon down here.
-Shane
Hey, stop stealing the British sense of humour! :wink:
jim2y

Post by jim2y »

I need some photos about underwater ecosystem of South America Catfish
Who has these photos? Please give me some!
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

Funny...

Post by general-sherman »

Some of the posts on this thread are sort-of the opposite of what Planetcatfish is about...very little to do with proper care, housing or...catfish conservation for that matter. Thumbs up to those who said the right thing. Even the posts with a big dose of sarcasm!
And for those who didn't...do not even consider buying any of these fish unless you have a tank or pond that holds thousands of gallons. The only time they don't grow to their maximum size is when they are improperly cared for, or housed incorrectly (which is nearly always!). That is not ok. That is animal cruelty.
This sort of thread serves to highlight this seemingly growing problem.
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”