Temporal and spatial variation in Trachelyopterus galeatus diet

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Temporal and spatial variation in Trachelyopterus galeatus diet

Post by bekateen »

Sousa, J.I., Oliveira, J.C., Oliveira, J.F., Rebouças, L.G., Novaes, J.L., Costa, R.S., & Peretti, D. (2017). Temporal and spatial variation in diet Trachelyopterus galeatus (Siluriformes, Auchenipteridae) in two reservoirs in the semi-arid Neotropical. Iheringia, Série Zoologia, 107(e2017040), e2017040.

Sousa, J.I., Oliveira, J.C., Oliveira, J.F., Rebouças, L.G., Novaes, J.L., Costa, R.S., & Peretti, D. (2017). Variação temporal e espacial na dieta de Trachelyopterus galeatus (Siluriformes, Auchenipteridae) em dois reservatórios no semiárido Neotropical. Iheringia, Série Zoologia, 107(e2017040), e2017040.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1678-4766e2017040
Sousa et al. wrote:ABSTRACT
Fish feeding provides data for discussion of theoretical aspects serving purposes as the basic knowledge of the biology of a species by understanding the trophic organization in each environment. The objective was to analyze the food composition and morphology associated with the eating habits of (Linnaeus, 1766) and evaluates the dietary changes over time. The collections of individuals took place on a quarterly basis, during the months of February, May, August and November 2013, through gillnets with different meshes distributed in eight points in the Santa Cruz reservoir and five points in the Umari reservoir, both located in the Rio Grande do Norte. From the items identified in diets were obtained the frequencies of occurrence and volumetric, combined in the calculation of Alimentary Index (IAi). The volumes of the items were ordered in NMDS and their differences tested by PERMANOVA. The contribution of each food item and differences between reservoirs was assessed by SIMPER analysis. The analysis of stomach contents allowed the classification of the species as carnivorous, noting there are significant temporal changes in the species diet, with the morphological characteristics according to the consumption of food items.
  • KEYWORDS. Diet, trophic organization, fish, temporal variation.
Sousa et al. wrote:RESUMO
Alimentação de peixes propicia dados para discussão de aspectos teóricos atendendo a propósitos como o conhecimento básico da biologia de uma determinada espécie através do entendimento da organização trófica em um determinado ambiente. Assim, objetivou-se analisar a composição alimentar e a morfologia, associadas ao hábito alimentar de (Linnaeus, 1766) e avaliar as alterações da dieta ao longo do tempo. As coletas dos indivíduos ocorreram trimestralmente, durante os meses de fevereiro, maio, agosto e novembro de 2013, por meio de redes de esperas com diferentes malhas distribuídas em oito pontos no reservatório de Santa Cruz e em cinco pontos no reservatório de Umari, ambos localizados no Rio Grande do Norte. Dos itens identificados da dieta foram obtidas as frequências de ocorrência e volumétrica, combinadas no cálculo de Índice Alimentar (IAi). Os volumes dos itens foram ordenados em NMDS e as suas diferenças testadas em PERMANOVA, a contribuição de cada item alimentar para as diferenças entre os reservatórios foi avaliada através da análise SIMPER. As análises dos conteúdos alimentares permitiram a classificação da espécie como carnívora, constatando-se significativas alterações temporais em sua dieta, com as características morfológicas em conformidade ao consumo dos itens alimentares.
  • PALAVRAS-CHAVE. Dieta, organização trófica, peixe, variação temporal.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”