Species of Ancistrus from Ecuador, with the description of a new species from the Amazon River Basin

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Species of Ancistrus from Ecuador, with the description of a new species from the Amazon River Basin

Post by lfinley58 »

Francisco Provenzano R., Ramiro Barriga-Salazar. 2018. Species of Ancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae) from Ecuador, with the description of a new species from the Amazon River Basin. Zootaxa, Volume 4527, Number 2:211-238.

Abstract:

To elucidate the species of the genus Ancistrus that inhabit freshwater systems of Ecuador, cataloged lots of the Fish Collection, Museo de la Escuela Politécnica Nacional (MEPN), in Quito, were analyzed. Four species were identified: Ancistrus alga (Cope, 1872), A. malacops (Cope, 1872), A. clementinae Rendahl, 1937, and a new species that herein is described. Ancistrus clementinae inhabits aquatic systems of the Pacific slope, mostly in the Guayas River drainage. The other three species live in freshwater systems that drain to the Amazon River Basin. Ancistrus alga inhabit the northern and central portions of eastern Ecuador. Ancistrus malacops has a broad distribution from north to south, but is absent from the Santiago River. Both species occasionally live in sympatry. The new species is restricted to the Santiago River, in Morona-Santiago province. Each species has unique external morphological features and/or a coloration pattern that allow unambiguous identification, at least of males. This paper provides a description of the new species, and a re-description and images of the other three.

http://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/vie ... a.4527.2.4
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Re: Species of Ancistrus from Ecuador, with the description of a new species from the Amazon River Basin

Post by lfinley58 »

A follow-up to the noted paper: The name of the new species is .

Lee
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Species of Ancistrus from Ecuador, with the description of a new species from the Amazon River Basin

Post by Bas Pels »

I would have assumed museensis :)
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”