Why I Bring Zebra Plecos to Fish Weekends

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Why I Bring Zebra Plecos to Fish Weekends

Post by TwoTankAmin »

This past weekend was the last time I will be either a vendor or room seller at a fish event. I am simply too old to do what this requires. However, this past weekend at the NEC reminded me once again why I love bringing 5 or 6 zebras to these event. Most of the members here are fairly well versed in various types of cats. After all, this is PlanetCatfish.

In all the years I have brought zebras, they have only sold at one event. Usually, I make a sale after the event. But the real joy from bringing zebras is how many people there have never seen a live zebra in person. There is a regular series of requests over the weekend from folks asking if they can take a picture, the answer is always yes.

There are plenty of interesting and some rare species at the events, but the zebras seem to interest everyone who comes by my tables. I really enjoy being able to share these fish in this way. It serves to remind me of how lucky I have been to keep and to work with these plecos. Watching the faces of folks who are seeing a live zebra for the first time always makes me smile. I think I will miss that the most having done my last event as anything more than an attendee. It also reminds me that what I take for granted is still something special to many in the hobby.

I managed to come home with 10 high fin paleatus, a few black neons, which did not completely sell out, and three CPDs to add to those already in my 5.5 gal tank. I also was offered three lovely gold nuggets for a great price, but I have no place to keep these guys and had to decline.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Why I Bring Zebra Plecos to Fish Weekends

Post by bekateen »

Thanks TTA. Interesting perspective.

For what it's worth, even if you are only an attendee, I hope to meet you at a fish convention one day.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Andrewjw
I've donated: $600.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 45 (i:21, k:0)
My BLogs: 24 (i:29, p:1094)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: St Louis
Location 2: St Louis Missouri
Interests: Fish!

Re: Why I Bring Zebra Plecos to Fish Weekends

Post by Andrewjw »

Agree whole-heartedly!! Sharing knowledge, generating enthusiasm, stoking the future generations of hobbyists...all are more satisfying than making a buck, or losing a few.
Andy

Return to “Speak Easy”