Can fish experience sudden explosive growth rates?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

Can fish experience sudden explosive growth rates?

Post by Quokka »

Hello all,

I posted quite often about my catfish and I am happy to say they are all well.

However I also always loved neon tetras but never had luck keeping them alive...so I made the leap again!

Thankfully this time they are doing quite well! Brilliant color, eating everything (And anything!) and putting on weight!

In fact....

I just got them last week, and at that time they were so tiny and pale. But in the span of a mere week I can swear they got noticeably bigger! Not just the fat bellies; their length has definitely increased! It's as if a crayfish molted and got bigger!

Is this possible? Maybe they were experiencing minor stunting at the fish store but a large surge of nutrients (I feed heavily so all my juvenile catfish can get their share!) jolted their growth hormones back into order...?

In the past I had an accidental Boulengerochromis microlepis (Emperor cichlid) and that dude put on 1cm a week....but they get big so it makes sense. These neons are tiny!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Can fish experience sudden explosive growth rates?

Post by Bas Pels »

With cichlids I have seen similar things, in case they are slightly smaller than they should be, they grow faster, untill this is corrected. Then growing continues normally.

It is a feeling, not something I have prooven by taking measurements and so on.

But after they are cought, neon tetras will in most cases only be fed untill at the importers fascility - but I´m afraid not all importers fed their fishes. So yes, wild caught neons will, most likely, be somewhat stunted and might trey and correct this
cats have whiskers
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:1)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

you said it, the large surge of high quality nutrients, condition that are orders of magnitude better ( no one tapping on the glass 200 times a day, so less stressed) just their natural response to excellent conditions
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Also, even under normal conditions, natural populations of fry experience growth rate stages, just like humans. E.g., humans have 2-3 growth spurts from birth to puberty.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Bas Pels wrote: 27 May 2019, 11:47 With cichlids I have seen similar things, in case they are slightly smaller than they should be, they grow faster, untill this is corrected. Then growing continues normally.

It is a feeling, not something I have prooven by taking measurements and so on.

But after they are cought, neon tetras will in most cases only be fed untill at the importers fascility - but I´m afraid not all importers fed their fishes. So yes, wild caught neons will, most likely, be somewhat stunted and might trey and correct this
kvnbyl wrote: 28 May 2019, 00:44 you said it, the large surge of high quality nutrients, condition that are orders of magnitude better ( no one tapping on the glass 200 times a day, so less stressed) just their natural response to excellent conditions
bekateen wrote: 28 May 2019, 01:49 Also, even under normal conditions, natural populations of fry experience growth rate stages, just like humans. E.g., humans have 2-3 growth spurts from birth to puberty.

Cheers, Eric
Aha I see! It does make sense though. Thanks! I am getting more to increase their numbers; they sure don't school in my tank! Maybe they just feel that secure? Both my hastatus and my neons don't school...but they do hang out with each other!

Hopefully I can keep them into an old age without them succumbing to neon tetra disease!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Neons are not the best schooling fishes.
cats have whiskers
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:1)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

i have gotten them to school but it really only was when someone gave me about 100 of them and they were in a large tank, they only time they truly schooled was at feeding time and when they sensed a threat in a really big (long) 18 lb siamese cat who would get up on this hind legs and go nose to nose with them
can't say that i blamed them, he makes me nervous :)
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Bas Pels wrote: 28 May 2019, 08:03 Neons are not the best schooling fishes.
kvnbyl wrote: 29 May 2019, 01:31 i have gotten them to school but it really only was when someone gave me about 100 of them and they were in a large tank, they only time they truly schooled was at feeding time and when they sensed a threat in a really big (long) 18 lb siamese cat who would get up on this hind legs and go nose to nose with them
can't say that i blamed them, he makes me nervous :)
I agree....both my neons and Corydoras hastatus don't school....They could care less about what I was doing around them haha only very rarely they bunch together during big water changes...but then they resume their individualistic behavior.

If anything it seems my two kuhli loachs are the only ones who really stick together!

Return to “Speak Easy”