Aquarium Current

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Aquarium Current

Post by SirHelm »

oooo.. just got my 2 Maxi Jet 1200 powerheads rated at 295 Gallons/hr. I also have an older penguin 1140 power head rated at 300gph. Plus my rio 400 for my wetdry filter/sump pump. Of course the first three are going to decrease their output when I convert them to their filter configs. anyways as you know the tank is 100 gallons. Using the three internal power heads I want to create a nice current for most areas of the tank, yet do not want to make too much "rough" water areas. Has anyone played around with setting up currents?

Any suggestions with my config

I am going to have

5 danios
1 Common Pleco
2 Pim Blocchi's
6 Hoplos
2 King Farawallas

I was think of setting 1 close to the surface for agitation/areation; 1 in the middle, and one near the bottom....

SH
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I think your fish would still be blown to pieces if you run all three at the same time. :lol: In all seriousness, IMO, you should leave a large area current free, where the food can collect. Otherwise, your fish'll have a hard time feeding. The danios would still get tossed about though.

Rusty
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Depends on what kind of Danios you have. Some, like <i>D. albolineatus</i>, actually live in relatively swift-flowing streams. However, if you've got regular zebra danios (which BTW are NOT <i>Brachydanio rerio</i>), you'll see them turn into gold and blue "leaves" blowing all over your tank.
I don't think the pims and the hoplos will like the current much, since they are fish that are naturally found in slow-moving waters.
That said, I always thought it would be cool to set up a fast-water concept tank, with a strong current and lots of fast-water fish (I tried it once and was mighty pleased with the result).
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

SH,
Just to point out that I have collected many Hoplo spp. and they are ALWAYS found in waters so still that they border on stagnant. I actually remember collecting some in the Delta Amacuro (the Orinoco Delta) in water that was so hot and fetid that even I would not go into the water. In the same pool we collected some beautiful large Pyrrhulina cf. filamentosa (3 inches), some smaller Phyrrhulina spp., pike cichlids and Acara.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

mmmm...... good point with the hoplos Heok!

In that case I am going to run one of the maxi Jets on the lowest setting with the filter attached, and the penguin on the opposite site. It too will have the its huge filter sponge on which should dampen the the amount of water it expells. I guess I will turn to efficient filtration then. The other maxi jet i will setup in the sump return for the tank and I will move the current ( and loud) rio to water change pump status!!

Thanks for the advice!

SH
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Well you guys were right. I setup one of the 1200's and it causes all kinds of wierd eddies and currents. The Danios seemed to like it. They did a lot of shoaling and "synchronized" swimming. I have 2 fake log caves and the Pims hid in there and it seems to be sheltered from the currents.

SH

Return to “Tank Talk”