Planted tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.

DO you keep planted tanks?

Poll ended at 13 Feb 2003, 01:58

Yes-
75%
no
25%

Total votes: 12

Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Planted tank

Post by Zack »

Hi,

Well iv had a fifty five gallon settup now for a couple months and im getting really tired of the settup. My original plan was to have it completely planted and just put s. american fish in it. But when i got it i realised the bulbs were only fifteen watts apiece. So i just set it up good enough to keep the fish happy with nothing fancy. I have also baught some african cats now since i didnt plant it i figured theres no need to stick to the s. american. The fish in it now are three pictus,one chocolate raphael,one striped raphael,one featherfin syno,three upside down synos,a african butterfly fish and somekind of geophagus cichlid. My question is what would be the cheapest form of lighting for it?? How much would it cost??? Would two diy co2 things in one gallon milk jugs be enough?? Would the synos do alright in a completely planted s. american themed tank??Would they eat the plants?? Could i add anymore fish and what should the be?? Thanks for any advice.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

When we were doing DIY CO2, we put only one 2 liter soda bottle reactor on a 55, and that lowered the pH drastically (we were using some really nice Tetra diffusion bells, but I think they have been discontinued). I'd think you'd need a container w/ some sort of threaded cap, because the top of a milk jug would blow off easily

If you wanted to go the cheapest lighting route possible, you could just get some nice flourecent fixtures. If you really want to grow high light plants, the cheapest HID technology (High Intensity Discharge, like metal halide or mercury vapor) you can get would probably be some sort of Power Compact. They're more efficient than plain old flourecent, and you can get the bulbs in high wattages. Plus, the bulbs last forever. The DIY kits (requires some drilling/wiring) aren't that much more expensive than a decent flourecent fixture.

Rusty
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Thanks rusty. I'll check with my lfs today. Well i know the milk jug will work cuz thats what i use on my 35 gallon. I was just wondering if one will be enough or if i'll need two?? Can i just get some higher wattage bulbs for the fixtures already in it and then just put two more of the same size fixtures under the hood?? the bulbbs are f15t8 ar fs. Does this size light come in any higher watts than 15???? Thanks again.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos

Return to “Tank Talk”