so sad, souls have been lost

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sharpshootercatfish
Location 1: U.S. MICHIGAN
Interests: loves rapheals

so sad, souls have been lost

Post by sharpshootercatfish »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: A large plague of ich has struck my tank and i cought it to late to save the fish being a child i was broken yet i learned more respect for the tank and i need to thuroly check each fish before purchase (that damed red lip loach) he was the careyer, becuase of my carelessness 1 clownloach died, my fav spotty rapheal died, my 2 four line pictus died,and the red lip died. after that I decided no more fish would die i took a risky 55% water change and pecause of my home water quality it desimated the desiese and luckily did not send my servivers into shock, the tank is cleaner than it was when I first set it up and the water is clear as a crystal(literaly there is no dirt clouds and I can see right through the water as if looking into a river or a brook the coloration on the survivers is brighter than ever!) i'm giving the 2 cories to my grandma and the pleco 2 my sister, I will keep the whiptail and the last loach.In 3 days I will get 1 5'' spotty rapheal,1 more clown loach so the other will have a playmate and posibly a spined peacock eel ( my last zig zag eel was sucked up my powerhead becuas he sliped throu my under filter. If anyone knows how to prevent this let me know). if any one has ideas or suggestions just let me know by replying or e-mail me at karn_silvergolem@msn.com

Code: Select all

[list][/list]
I am sharpshooter, and you'll never know I'm there until it's too late....
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I think you should be doing 40%-50% water changes a week. You're just making your life harder than it has to be by doing smaller changes. The other thing you should be doing is quarentining all new fish for at least 2 weeks, with no exceptions.

Rusty
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

a few more suggestions (I second all Rusty's tips they are OK)
-forget that eel, if you have a powerhead in the tank; peacocks (Macrognatus arcuelatus) are notorious Kamikaze-fish when it comes to cramming themselves in motordriven filter systems.
-get two clowns or even more; they thrive in groups of 3 or more (wich is better) this is a SHOALING fish.
-buy yourself two dorads, because these too, like the company (spotted raphael would be Agamyxis pectionifrons?).
what other kinds of fish are in that tank?
characins? live bearers? or just catfish, loaches and eels?
because a small to moderate swarm or shoal of diurnal harmless fish give the nocturnals and bottomdwellers a sense of 'security' wich will draw them out. especially Clownloaches like to socialize; not only with each other, but with other fish as well. Even a group of 'ordinary' Guppies can draw most catfish from hiding!
Maybe a group of Corydoras? they would make a fine setup with a few dorads and the loaches.
Quarantaine is indeed a way of avoiding all kinds of misery in the hobby.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
caril
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

i felt the same way as u, sharpshootercatfish.
:cry: one of my L200 got stuck in the powerhead too. to prevent the same thing from happening again, i cut a piece of sponge and place it at the input of the powerhead.
no such accident has happen since then.

my tank was stuck with ich 3 weeks ago and 3 of my L205 looks as if they won't make it through. i had a 20-30% water change everyday, increase the temp to 31c and added anti-ich medication. i repeat the treatment for almost 2 weeks and all the hard work has paid off. my plecos are healthy again. thanks to all the wonderful guys from planetcatfish. without their advice, i bet my plecos won't survive.
thanks guys...
Yew Wee
sharpshootercatfish

first off,rusty I kept that loach in quarintine for 3 weeks.

2.does this mean I cant put an eel in there safely?

3.there is a 3rd clown,I ordered it strait from indonesia,the order was delayed

4.******************************

5.I'm 13! if you knew how much I slaved over those sick fish not to mention what I do on a day to day basis,you wouldn't be scolding me the way you are!

6.If you would realy like to help me then post a scedual that I can follow to make sure that all my fish live healthy.

7.nothing anyone says is going to keep me from doing what I like,I like fish,dorads the most,so much that I am determaned one day to breed them and know how I did it,I will follow my grandpa and what he loved most.........................
sharpshootercatfish

oh and rusty its a little hard to do weekly water changes with my water quality, but I try my hardest to do what i can for my fish.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

sharpshootercatfish, my sympathy for your losses! I know how devistating it can be to see this happen to the fish you have cared for and watched for so long. My advice is try not to let this discourage you. Sometimes these things are beyond our control. Best of luck getting everything sorted out!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Wow... what a tactless response to someone actually trying to help you keep your fish healthy. You might consider rereading your post sharpshootercatfish, unless you really intended to sound that unappreciative... It isn't like Rusty or anyone else is paid to give you advice, or attempt to help.

Barbie
sharpshootercatfish

I already apologized to rusty about it OK,like i said if people urk me about that stuff I tend tofly off the handle a bit and I don't think I need your help to do that so lets just drop it OK, and if ya dont think I did then here,rusty I sry fer blowin' up on ya like that, and if ya still don't think I mean it then you can ask rusty.
sharpshootercatfish

and Im not bein' mean about it
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

Great stuff Sharpshooter now lets all get on with discussing our favourite fish. :D
sharpshootercatfish

sure whats yours?
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

Post by manman01 »

hey sharpshooter i'm 13 to and just lost my cats go to tank talk and look for tank wipe out to see what happened to my fish.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

I have to agree with barbie, I didnt read anything in any of the posts that should have affended you. I to am a teenager (16) but thats not really an excuse to be that unapreciative. Enough about that though. The horse is dead now stop kicking it.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos

Return to “Tank Talk”