synodontis catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
cichlidsrcool

synodontis catfish

Post by cichlidsrcool »

Can anyone here tell me were i can get Synodontis aterrimus. I would love to have one but htey seem impossible to find
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

You may get lucky and find it as by-catch, but it's even less likely that you will see it sold under its own name.

Dinyar
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Where are you?
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
cichlidsrcool

Post by cichlidsrcool »

I'm in the USA
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

syno

Post by oneoddfish »

It would help if you were a little more specific like ohio,california,newyork.OH by the way WELCOME to the planet....Jerry L Brown :D
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
cichlidsrcool

Post by cichlidsrcool »

Soory all havent been able to get on here in 2 days to busy at work Well I am From Michigan and would like to be able to find Synodontis aterrimus. If any of you syno nut can help then e-mail me

Thanks Mike
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Like Dinyar said, I think they are almost impossible to find in the States. I haven't ever seen it on any lists.

Rusty
cichlidsrcool

Post by cichlidsrcool »

Rusty you are right i havent seen them either on any list in the states in my 20+ years I was just hoping that someone here could help. How about Synodontis ornatus you ever seen it offered??

Mike
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

Post by Tom »

Byerly's in Columbus had aterimmus last year. I think they European tank raised. Cichlid Exchange had ornatus 3-4 years ago. I saw aterimmus 15 years ago and wasn't that impressed- looked like a dark nigriventris. Poll's line drawing was more impressive. I also live in Michigan(Allen Park).

tom
cichlidsrcool

Post by cichlidsrcool »

Tom

Do you import syno's at all
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

Post by Tom »

Look up the website profi-aquarium and you will see all the synos that are being bred in the Czech Republic. They apparently only deal with wholesalers and retail outlets.

Tom
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

beware of syno's coming from there; Czechie is the main source of loads of hybrids (synodontis, Corydoras etc).
Those "breeders" are in the process of polluting the hobby with many mutts; currently there's a lot of confusion going on about Czech granulosus.
They ""breed"" their fish with hormone injections and they have no problems whatsoever, with mixing sperm and eggs of different species; all in for the money, I guess. whatever looks good, sells you know. And foisting them off with the name of the real thing, seems to be the rule, not the exception.
Might be a bit o'ranting, but you'd better be warned about this.
Sid
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A

Return to “African Catfishes”