L090 Papa Panaque

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Shmax101
Location 1: Marysville Ohio
Interests: Breeding of f/w fish

L090 Papa Panaque

Post by Shmax101 »

I just got one of these beauties, wild caught adult, around 6", and I'm a little worried about him. He acts healthy and vibrant, but his belly is a bit thin, and I'm wondering what the best method is to fatten him up. I have been searching for info on them, and haven't been very successful in finding their feeding/breeding habits, and it seems that other members of the family have very diverse diets, so I couldn't figure out which set of foods would be best for him. Does he chew bogwood? Prefer live/frozen? Eat mostly plant matter? Any info, or even a shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Chris :D
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I dont have experience of this particular species but I would treat him as the other bigger Panaques...bogwood, both frozen and prepared foods like algwafers and a piece of squash/zucchini sometimes even if the last food not will fat him up :) but it's good for the stomach.

Janne
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Driftwoods are a must for panaque. They (especially wild caught ones) might not eat immediately when you just got them hence the thin stomach, but it should not cave in too much. Just do light feeding daily and see if it starts its first bite.
Shmax101
Location 1: Marysville Ohio
Interests: Breeding of f/w fish

Thanks

Post by Shmax101 »

I will try all those suggestions, thanks

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”