Got me some cool new fish!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
mrh
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Got me some cool new fish!

Post by mrh »

Couldn't afford the zebra plec I wanted. Gutted. Was told quite categorically that if I had the fish I couldn't have an i-pod. Harsh!

Still ... a productive day out today got me a adolfi cory, 3 julii and a gold nugget plec to be friends with my 3 skunk corys. Result!

I have catfish!
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Best of luck with your new catfish.

Mark
mrh

Post by mrh »

Why, thank-you. I'm hoping I won't need it, but thanks anyway!
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Congratulations! I'd check out C.trilineatus profiles and compear them to C. julii. :wink:
mrh

Post by mrh »

I already did that! I'm pretty sure they're julii, but frankly, unless I had one of each next to each other, I reckon an untrained eye like mine would be hard pressed to tell the difference. As long as they don't have hugely different requirements I don't mind - they're lovely!

Truthfully, its the plec that bothers me. I discovered (after buying it, naturally) that they come in different varieties, and that these can vary from 5 - 6 inches up to 14 inches!! What am I gonna do with 14 inches of fish? That's a ridiculous length!
Tom2600
Location 1: ENGLAND

Post by Tom2600 »

Shame about the zebra plecs but I know how you feel. I just got 6 great looking L260s for the price of one L046!!! Madness, but I'm guessing I will eventually get some L046s again, maybe a generous breeder in the UK can help me out? :wink:

It will take your gold nugget a LONG time to grow to 14" if it is this species. So I wouldn't worry. :)

On a more serious note, make sure your plec has lots of oxygen and a strong current. Gold nuggets are notorious for wasting away in the first few weeks/months. That said, many go an too be very strong and fabulous looking fish IMO. :D

Cheers

Tom
mrh

Post by mrh »

Thanks for the advice on the plec. I'm worried about him - I think he has whitespot, and badly; my other half thinks its his markings!

My quandry is whether or not to go ahead and treat the whole tank anyway (will it do them any harm?) or just leave it and see if he's right and I'm wrong (uncommon, but a possibility).

I can't quarantine him cos I have a bunch of Bosemans Rainbows in my quarantine tank.
Tom2600
Location 1: ENGLAND

Post by Tom2600 »

Normally I would just advise for you to increase the temperature to 30C for 8-10 days, obviously increasing the oxygen and water changes at the same time. This will get rid of the whitespot.

However, your corys will probably not fair well in such high temps.

Therefore I would personally use a good whitespot remedy. Waterlife is a very efficient range.

Good luck

Tom
mrh

Post by mrh »

I used Interpet Anti-Whitespot: it recommended a minimum of 26 degrees. Is this too high?
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

You might want to read this thread. Re: the temp, 26º won't have any real effect on the ich. The temp should be raised over 28º, preferably to 30º. As long as you provide adequate aeration your fish should be fine at that temp.

Rusty
mrh

Post by mrh »

The temp should be raised over 28º, preferably to 30º. As long as you provide adequate aeration your fish should be fine at that temp.

Even the corys?

The plec doeesn't seem any better this morning. He's all hunched up and his fins are droopy.

Damn ich.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Congratulations on your new cory's. I hope your plec makes it through.

Where did you end up going, by the way?

--
Mats
stina
Location 1: Croatia, Zagreb
Interests: L breeding

Post by stina »

well if is not to much problem put the cory's in another tank... but your cories will be allright in 28°C... below temp will not work on ich...
mrh

Post by mrh »

MatsP wrote:Congratulations on your new cory's. I hope your plec makes it through.

Where did you end up going, by the way?

--
Mats
I stayed local ... Blagdon Water Gardens, just outside of Bristol. I should have taken your recommendation ... I should have looked more closely ... I should have quarantined ...

Oh, the benefit of hindsight!
mrh

Post by mrh »

I'm stuck with treating everything in the one tank - my quarantine is full of bosemans rainbows.

Someone has recommended a saltwater bath for my plec. Is this a usual or effective treatment?

I'm going to post this as a new thread I think.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

mrh wrote: I stayed local ... Blagdon Water Gardens, just outside of Bristol. I should have taken your recommendation ... I should have looked more closely ... I should have quarantined ...

Oh, the benefit of hindsight!
I'm by no means sure that my advice would have been any different... I recently put a couple of new fish in my tank, and two out of three died, and also one of the "old" ones died too... Quarantine tank is probably a good idea... Unfortunately, in my not so great wisdoom, I gave away the tank that would have been suitable for quarantaining the fish to my fiancee's niece to keep a couple of goldfish in [seeing as the goldfish were kept in a goldfish bowl with no air/heat, I thought it was a good idea for them to live in a slightly better environment...].

As I get my big tank started, I'm definitely going to get a small-ish tank to quarantine things in.

Trouble is that spare tanks tend to get used up for more permanent residents when they are made available...

--
Mats
mrh

Post by mrh »

You know, the idiocy of it is that I have a quarantine tank, and i know full well the dangers of not using it. Which is why its crammed to the gunnels with three Bosemans Rainbows.

What amazes me is quite why I saw a need to quarantine a bunch of £2 fish, then go spend twenty squid on a plec to dump straight into the main tank!

I just can't leave a pretty fish in the shop. Its an acquisitive thing, kinda like having to own a cd even though you can borrow it for nothing.

I'd like to say "I'll know better next time"...

Return to “Speak Easy”