Anyone heard of constipation killing a pl*co in one day?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BobsUncle
Location 1: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Anyone heard of constipation killing a pl*co in one day?

Post by BobsUncle »

My 12.5" sailfin just died, and the only thing that seemed to be wrong with him was a bout of constipation. He seemed fine yesterday, other than appearing to be bound. I fed him some cucumber, hoping that would take care of it. He never touched it, and got more and more listless. He did manage to pass what was bothering him though. I eventually ended up taking him to the top of the tank so he could gulp air. (He was a very hand-friendly specimen) Unfortunately it wasn't enough, he died about an hour ago. Anyone have any ideas? Tank is totally stable, no problems with any contamination, ammo/nit levels are nil, ph fine, temp fine. No new fish or plants, no new foods, nothing. :cry:
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

i am no expert but i believe the constapation you mention could be a digestive track blockage (or maybe a parasite??). I have heard (don't know for sure) that too much protien and not enough bulk fiber/vegetable matter (depending on species) wiil cause this type of blockage in some plecos and they then eventually die.
BobsUncle

Intestinal blockage

Post by BobsUncle »

Well, definitely it was not a lack of fiber, he ate tons of greens, but I hadn't considered an intestinal parasite. What baffled me was the suddeness of it...Friday I vacuumed my tank, and as usual no sooner had I done that then he messed it up again. Obviously there were no problems then. 36 hours later though he was appearing blocked, and then seemed to have passed it, and then a few short hours after that died in my hand. :cry:
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

How old was he?
BobsUncle

Post by BobsUncle »

Just about 2 years old, near as I can tell. He was an inch long when I bought him 20 months ago, so I figure he couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 months at the time.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”