The Frightening Pl*co!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
asgard
Location 1: Auckland, New Zealand

The Frightening Pl*co!

Post by asgard »

Hehehe this is about my pl*co who really really doesn't like "big humans."

For the past 3 days now I've been camping out by the tank trying to take a picture of it with my digital camera.
If Tom Cruise from Mission Impossible wanted a difficult task, he should really try taking a picture of a pl*co that frightens at the slightest movement outside of the tank!!!
As soon as I get close enough to take a good shot, it will swim quickly away to it's hiding place at the back of the tank & takes almost half an hour to come out again!

I was discussing my problem with my LFS & they suggested putting in some blue lighting; how when turned on in the night, it would still be dark for the fish, but we "evil humans" could see clearly. I thought this was an excellent idea until they started mentioning that we needed to set a timer so that during the day the white light would be on, and during the night the blue light would be on... we eventually worked out that the timer in my tank couldn't be adjusted to set one bulb on at one time, and the other bulb on at another time!
As a last resort though, I may just buy two blue lights and stick them in at the end of the day for one night just so I can get a couple of good photos; and then swap them out with the white light in the morning :?

May I ask how you guys do it?

I've seen some gorgeous photos on the forum & through out Planet Catfish and would appreciate the advice!

I dearly would love to know what my pl*co is, but at this rate, I don't know if that will ever happen!
Zeb A.
Pl*costomus Beginner
http://www.asgard.gen.nz
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Patience, a lightning fast shutter finger and a cooperative fish :)

BTW, catfish, just like humans, can't see red light, not blue. A red gel over a strong flashlight should be enough light to spot the fish, after which you can use a camera w/ flash to take the picture.

Rusty
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

A little OT, but with digital cameras, things have become a lot simpler.
I once got to know in passing one of those professional photographers who takes those gorgeous pics for Japanese aqauarium publications.
Know what his secret was? A photo tank that would shame an Amano-tank fan, infra-red sensors, and a willingness to spend one whole day taking hundreds of pics of the same fish, only to discard all but one.
Oh, did I mention really expensive camera and studio equipment?
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

If you can get one, try one of those flat-panel 'Moonlight' night-lights connected to an extension cord and placed by the tank. They emit a cool blue-green monochromatic light which even the shyest of catfish don't seem to mind.

If catfish can't see red light, why do the Asian and S.A. RTCs and Synodontis clarias have red tails?
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “Tank Talk”