Lophiobagrus sp. cyclurus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
MultiPunk
Location 1: Hampshire, UK
Interests: rugby, motorbikes

Lophiobagrus sp. cyclurus

Post by MultiPunk »

The above catfish are offered for sale as wild caught examples by a Dutch store. What's the meaning of "sp." exactly? Does it mean they are not sure, that they might be brevispinis or another lophiobagrus?

TIA
MultiPunk
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It is merely the abbreviation (singular) of "species".

Technically, its use in this manner is not correct (but I have seen it used plenty of times this way in the aquarium trade). I am taking it to mean the same thing as Lophiobagrus cf. cyclurus (i.e. not sure if it is L. cyclurus, but seems closest to it).
MultiPunk
Location 1: Hampshire, UK
Interests: rugby, motorbikes

Post by MultiPunk »

Many thanks.
MultiPunk
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

This is Verduijns' store and it's a Burundi shipment of Lophiobagrus brevispinis, that has been there for a loooong time

the Verduijns are OK, but GODS ye people; they can be stubborn!
I told them their shipment were brevispinis! I know them on a firstname base for years.
in fact THE brevispinis here in the catelog, the ones in the CotM article and the breeding pairs wich I keep are ALL from THAT Burundi-shipment!

I must have told them about 50 times they had brevispinis, but somehow they cannot get used to the fact that there are in fact more species than just L cyclurus.

so they re-named them "sp cyclurus".

Sad thruth is not this, but the fact that so few people buy them. tailormade dwarfcatfish for a rifttank, but the only cats people want in those are Synodontis.
Those Lophio's are there for a looong time.
:(
Valar Morghulis

Return to “African Catfishes”