oscar allience

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
declan
Location 1: naxxar ,malta
Interests: reptile and fish keeping

oscar allience

Post by declan »

i have two pangasius (3") and i was wondering if it was safe to add a couple of oscars to the tank :roll: . oscars have a reputatuon to be very violent towards other fish but the ones in the petshop(2,1/2") are being cept with pangasius(5inches)and are not retalliating. i tought this would be a lesson for them so when they enter my aquarium they won't harass my catfish.
>((('>
>((('>
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4013

All of the relevant points concerning pangasiid husbandry have been covered in this post. Any attempt to start a discussion along the lines of "I want to keep large fish because they will not grow large in my tank/because I want to/because I think I can" will be deemed trolling.
declan

Post by declan »

thanks for the link, it was just that my mother hated the pangasius catfish and wanted somthing colourful like an oscar or chiclid
>((('>
>((('>
nolan
Location 1: west sussex uk

Post by nolan »

Oscars are not as agressive as many people think. yes the will push tank mates around but can easily end up on the loosing side of a fight.
if you got a small oscar, it probably would be ok but as the shark cats grow rapidly and they would be a bit ahead of the oscar.
But oscars are messy fish and need powerful filtration and plenty of water changes or there health can suffer.

if you want a bit less hassle try a severum.

just avoid any central american cichlids big or small as they will probably attack and kill your sharks.
declan

Post by declan »

messy fish as in managing to turn the water green-yellow or blocking a cheap filter? should they be kept in groups or single?
>((('>
>((('>
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

I would still suggest Tinfoil barbs, I have 2 pangasius and 4 large Tinfoil barbs and it is a very peaceful coexistence, they don't pick on each other at all. You will have no worries about compatibility.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
nolan
Location 1: west sussex uk

Post by nolan »

oscars are messy for the folloowing reasons:

chew up and spit out food poluting the tank
generate vast amounts of waste ammonia etc
dig in the substrate and stir up debris.
and yes a cheap filter will get blocked.
high quality external power filters the way to go.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”