When Plecos Attack. Warning Graphic!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

When Plecos Attack. Warning Graphic!

Post by Shane »

There was a certain incident during Expedicion Tres Fronteras that really brought home the dangers we faced.

Jools did not even see these sinister suckermouths as they snuck over the sides of the canoe. They were on him in an instant! At first he was sure he could fend them off. (Note that more than one genera is present, proving for the first time inter-generic cooperation among loricariids during attacks on humans.)

Jools only realized the true danger he was facing when the armored assassins when for his throat.

Luckily I knew just how to handle the situation and Whitepine and I eventually lured the pugnacious plecos away by throwing our emergency cucumber supply into the river. We barely managed to divert the livid loris in time.

Please heed the lessons of this horrible event and keep children and small animals away from any tank housing plecos. Today Jools is fine, but the physical and emotional scars will take years to heal.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
B-2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Connecticut, USA

ha ha ha!

Post by B-2 »

That is so funny! :lol: My pleco is susposed to grow to be a monster like that. He has already eaten one of my snails alive when he was only 4 inches long. I can't imagine what he'll do when he is a foot long! I hope he doesn't attack me. I'll have to start carrying cucumbers in my pocket. :lol: You should make a movie or write a book about this and call it "When plecos attack!" "Killer plecos" or "Plecos, friend or foe?"
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

Crikey! :shock:

Good thing they weren't a carnivorous species! :mrgreen:
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

(In his best national geographic documentary voice).

Like many omnivores, such as the grizzly bear Ursus arctos horriblis, the loracid catfish of South America will not hesitate at the opportunity for valuable protein.

The Alpha female give the indication to the pack members that vulnerable prey is near and an attack commences. The males of the group are left to fan eggs in a dark corner of natural cave or, a boot left by unwary collectors.

The attacks are at once stunning, brutal, and excruciatingly slow, as the predator may spend days or even weeks slowly rasping and sucking at the flesh of the unfortunate victim.

No merciful jugular bite, spinal sever, or suffocation tactic exsists aside from the little understood vampire pleco....

Sorry, this inspired visions of psyco pikes, and African Savannah documentaries.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Let that be a lesson, never travel the waterways of the amazon with a zuchini in your pocket. ;-)

Jools
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 111
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Not only that,but there are reports of them now in places like Florida,Hawaii,Texas and a few other places so I suspect a grander scheme.

World domination maybe?
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

They seemed quite attracted to you, Jools! I think it was an attempt to communicate. :al: (cue music to Close Encounters of the Third Kind) Maybe they liked what's in your blood, Brother! :idea: Smarter than we thought.....
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Jools wrote:Let that be a lesson, never travel the waterways of the amazon with a zuchini in your pocket. ;-)

Jools
Was that a zucchini in your pocket or were you just pleased to be there?
husky_jim
My images: 12
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:98)
Spotted: 12
Location 2: Athens-Greece
Interests: Music,Bikes,Dobermann and Catfish!!!

Post by husky_jim »

coelacanth wrote:
Jools wrote:Let that be a lesson, never travel the waterways of the amazon with a zuchini in your pocket. ;-)

Jools
Was that a zucchini in your pocket or were you just pleased to be there?

hehehe :D
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yes, that pun was intended, we can always rely on Pete to draw these things out. :-)

Jools
kraatzy
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, Bettas, Quilting

Post by kraatzy »

:D Great pictures - wonderful to see people with a sense of humour! Love the zuchini discussion! :razz: What a awesome experience you guys had. Here in AUstralia we can have nasty :twisted: encounters with big eel tail catfish. Cheers!
kraatzy
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Jools wrote:Yes, that pun was intended, we can always rely on Pete to draw these things out. :-)
Thought I'd better spell it out, for our international contingent an' all that. British humour being notoriously subtle in tone, I thought it might pass them by.
Plus, I could have commented on the fact that it looks more like a petit cornichon from the pictures.

Return to “Speak Easy”